Register

dehydrator (dehumidifier).

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

dehydrator (dehumidifier).

Postby scullion » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:42 pm

we are going to have a bumper crop of apples this year and not a great deal of secure (from wildlife) space for storage in sheds so i've had an experiment with dehydrating a sliced, cored apple, on a steel kebab skewer, in front of the dehumidifier.
i am very happy with the result and the space for storage is far reduced.
the dehumidifier is run most of the time (cornwall is quite damp!) so buying a dedicated dehydrator seems a bit of an extravagance (and on space) for the proportion of time it would be used in a year.
i've tried bottling in the past but this year would involve the need for more jars, space, sugar, gas etc.
juicing and pasteurising - again, would need more bottles, space and gas.
i've also made chutney - but we still have enough for a couple of years.
we go through a lot of fresh fruit so most will be eaten, some will be stored but i will be drying the majority for eating and cooking through the winter.
a friend built a solar dehydrator and had good results with tomatoes and other 'wet' food so i do intend to make one sometime (my crop of three tomatoes doesn't call for it this year) but until then the dehumidifier is being given yet another job (great for drying the excess sourdough starter - and clothes on a rainy day).

Re: dehydrator (dehumidifier).

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:36 pm

Interesting, how would you dry multiple apple (or other) slices in front if the current one? Solar sounds like a plan. My friends in the USA dry a lot of their produce, but in a dehydrator. I would be wary of being sure that the moisture had been removed before storing- is it just guesswork?

I've often thought that I could do with a dehumidifier in one part of my house but would prefer to try one before buying. Wish I was clever enough to set up solar!

Postby scullion » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:24 pm

the dehumidifier blows slightly warmed air from the condenser (like from the back of a fridge but a stronger flow) so i hung the de-cored rings on the long kebab skewer which was then supported by the rungs on the clothes horse. using the other skewers i can dry at least six apples at a time (overnight). if i use some other bars (or cut a split and hang straight on the airer) i can up the rate somewhat. the air just blows through and the moisture gets picked up on the condenser when the air gets sucked through the machine.

when we got our first dehumidifier the vendor said we could have it on a months trial and if we weren't happy to just bring it back. we asked how many people brought them back - he said none. we have always been more than happy with it - especially when we have to run and get the washing in! - or with days and days of rain.

the sourdough starter gets dried to a crisp and i dry bay leaves, flat, between cooling racks so they fit in the jar easier, they are dry enough to break apart if you try to bend them, and don't go mouldy in the jar so i've no worry about the apple rings being dry enough.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:32 pm

I own both. I use the dehumidifier a lot (originally bought for very smelly, damp French house, but was used here to help dry clothes before taking there, and was so good I bought one for here too.) The one in France sucks up shocking amounts of water.

I have used the dehydrator once :oops:

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:42 pm

scullion wrote:the dehumidifier blows slightly warmed air from the condenser (like from the back of a fridge but a stronger flow) so i hung the de-cored rings on the long kebab skewer which was then supported by the rungs on the clothes horse.

That makes sense! I had visions of you sitting there holding the skewer like a toasting fork - which would get a bit boring after a while!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:30 pm

When I was making silver clay jewellery, I used an old (cheap) slow cooker to dry my pieces. I removed the (loose) ceramic pot and replaced it with a circle of mesh (cut from one of those thingies for doing chips in the oven) inside. That worked :thumbsup

Postby scullion » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:38 pm

hahahaha - i know i can be daft ... but not that daft!

the wind has brought down a few of the james grieve and it seems that they are ripening early (a couple came off the tree with a gentle twist) so I'm giving one the dehumidifier treatment, overnight, to see how long it will need for complete dryness.

have you tried drying food with it, patsy?
i'm using the dehumidifier cos it's on anyway.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:26 pm

I´ve got a dehydrator and a dehumidifier. The latter stays in the bedroom/walk-in wardrobe, because otherwise layers of mould settle on shoes, bags, coats, etc. We often have 80-90% humidity in the wet season.
I bought the dehydrator years ago with the idea of making "sundried" tomatoes, only to discover that the spaces between the shelves were far too thin to accommodate half a tomato, It worked for apples, for ginger, for lemon peel, for chiles; so the investment was justified.

Postby DEB » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:05 pm

I have a dehydrator and use it every year to dry apples which are used by my daughters to add to hot oats for breakfast. I could use them once simmered in water, and sugar, in pies etc but I find it hard to meet the demand for breakfast. I also dry plums for the same use.
I dry oranges and lemons to add to pot purie and use in Christmas decs.
If you are going to dry lots of apples you may find this useful
https://www.lakeland.co.uk/13181/Apple- ... -and-Corer
It really speeds up dealing with lots of apples

:newhuggy

Postby jeral » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:17 pm

I had one of those peelers and corers but am not strong enough either to ram the apples on, or get them off, and the short L handle gave little leverage and the holding knob was too thin to grasp with more than just fingertips. A guy on a Youtube video found it effortless and DEB is recommending it, so maybe there's a knack to it all.

Postby Pampy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:38 pm

Which dehydrator do you have Deb? I bought one last year which stopped working after one use. I then had months of grief trying to get it replaced/refunded.
The James Grieve apples on my tree look as though they might be ready - it's very early for them but I suppose the hot weather brought them on.

Postby scullion » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:59 pm

DEB wrote:If you are going to dry lots of apples you may find this useful

thanks for the suggestion but i rather like the peel on the apples so i'll leave that on - i rarely peel apples, even for stewing etc.

Pampy wrote:The James Grieve apples on my tree look as though they might be ready - it's very early for them but I suppose the hot weather brought them on.

that was my thought, too, they're a couple of weeks ahead of time. i have removed apples from my shopping order!
it'll be interesting to see if all the trees are early.
the crab apple has a bumper crop, too; i may make crabapple jelly - or dry them to go in strawberry jam for the pectin.

Postby DEB » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:23 am

My dehydrator is one from Lakland, bought some 6 or 7 years back. It is not the all bells and whisle one they currently sell.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:01 am

scullion wrote:have you tried drying food with it, patsy?
i'm using the dehumidifier cos it's on anyway.

I never did ... I wasn't into drying food in those days. I eventually got rid of the SC along with a Tower pressure cooker when I bought my Instant Pot as they both took up alot of space in the kitchen :roll:

Postby Lokelani » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:16 pm

What a great idea.

Our dehumidifiers are also used for drying clothes, particularly useful when it won't dry outside but it's not cold enough for the heating. It amazes me how much warm air they actually put out. It warms the rooms up enough not to even use the heating in mild winters. We have one upstairs & one downstairs.

They will go on when opening the windows starts adding damp air to the house, so maybe not that many weeks off.

I've not thought about using them to dehydrate fruit but may well give that a go. Cheaper than having the oven on to dry orange slices etc., when the dehumidifier is running anyway.

I love how inventive some of you are, and how many good ideas I've found from the food forum over the years. :)

Postby scullion » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:36 pm

the apple i 'processed' last night seems very dry so i'll test to see if it's enough by putting some in a jar and leaving for a while - and eating the rest like healthy sweets!

Postby jeral » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:09 pm

Has anyone tried microwaving apple slices?

Typically: Peel, core, slice 1/8th inch, acidulate for 10 mins, blot dry, add cinnamon and maybe sugar sprinkle (optional). Single layer on non-stick parchment then 4+ mins on low setting till edges curl, flip and 30secs+ more. Cool on rack.

I have some apples in the fridge, which might still be OK. You're supposed to use apples as fresh as possible though so it wouldn't a useful test.

Do you worry about what is being blown out of a dehumidifier that might be absorbed by or force its way into a porous apple? Something that crosses my mind.

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:24 pm

Thanks DEB - have just ordered one!

Postby scullion » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:37 pm

jeral wrote:Do you worry about what is being blown out of a dehumidifier that might be absorbed by or force its way into a porous apple?

only as much as i worry about what i'm breathing in ordinarily.
the air goes through a triple layer of filters before going to the condenser so whatever air is going in would hopefully have fewer particles when blown out.
i'm assuming that a proprietary dehydrator also has air filters?

i'm not sure anything would be 'forced' into the drying apple. the air going past the slices is picking up the moisture from them and taking it away and they aren't 'face on' to the line of the air flow.

Postby jeral » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:49 pm

scullion, it was just a passing thought so if you're happy I am. I suspect your country air is cleaner than inner city air too.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox