Register

Tempeh

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Tempeh

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:46 am

Tempeh used to be quite hard to find in these parts but is now in Sainsburys. I've got some to try for the first time.

Would you just use it like tofu or would you do something special with it? I've seen a recipe for a peanut marinade which I think looks rather nice.

Site Admin

Re: Tempeh

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:07 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Would you just use it like tofu

It's nothing like tofu, so not really!

Here's a recipe I posted on the old board many years ago, and Gill posted some info there too.

Candlenuts and galangal could be subbed with cashew or macadamia nuts (a candlenut is about the size of a malteser) and slightly less ginger than galangal.

www.carta.co.uk/foodforum/viewtopic.php ... 4971#p4962

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:34 am

I remember there are several nice recipes for tempeh in Madhur Jaffrey's Eastern Vegetarian Cookery. Never tried them because I've not come across tempeh for sale, although Loon Fung must have had it somewhere. I must look in Sainsbury, whenever the next visit might be. Maybe it's also online.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:24 am

I was going to recommend the Madhur Jaffrey recipe

This is a version of the Jaffrey recipe that I have made, though I think she used shallot not onion
https://lekkerletters.wordpress.com/201 ... eh-kering/

It’s nothing like tofu because the beans are still intact not ground, they are compressed together like the components of a flapjack

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:48 am

Those recipes look nice. Thank you. I haven't got tamarind (which I love) or galangal at the moment but have a whole pack of Tempeh and half an opened can of coconut milk so might try peanut today and something else tomorrow after I've been shopping.

I realise that the texture is different to tofu but thought that it was used and took on other flavours in a similar way. I shall enjoy experimenting.

BM. I think that the huge take-up of 'plant foods' has introduced things like this into mainstream marketing far more. I enjoy looking to see what new things there are hidden amongst the tofu and falafel. I don't suppose you've had the chance to browse round a supermarket for a while but I expect most large branches of Sainsburys who offer online shopping will have it if it has reached these provincial parts.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:52 am

Earthmaiden wrote:I realise that the texture is different to tofu but thought that it was used and took on other flavours in a similar way. I shall enjoy experimenti

I think the thing is most tofu recipes serve it quite soft and squidgy but tempeh should have a but of crunch, so it’s pretty different to eat

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:02 pm

Really? Looking forward to supper time now!

Postby MagicMarmite » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:24 pm

I make tempeh kerring with it.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:41 pm

Well, I liked it. Referring back to Sakkarin's comments in the link he provided, I thought it tasted yeasty, like beer, but in a nice way which blended well with other flavours. I agree too that it is filling!

I made a marinade with what I had available - peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, lemon juice, grated ginger, grated turmeric and garlic. I fried it a bit then added veg and coconut milk and water. It cooked to a lovely thick sauce. Not authentic I know but nice all the same! I shall have to think of something very quick to do with it tomorrow as I'll be busy at suppertime. I wonder if I can freeze it?

Tempeh Kering looks wonderful.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:35 am

I haven't got tamarind (which I love) or galangal at the moment

For tamarind, sub lemon/lime juice. Not the same, but will do.
For galangal, sub ginger. Again, not the same (the galangal is far more lemony and perfumed) but will do!

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:44 am

Thanks KK. That's what I did. It would be nice to try it with the correct ingredients though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:12 am

Tempeh freezes well in my experience, I agree citrus is a poor substitute for tamarind - it adds the necessary acidity but it’s a very different flavour

I have ginger, galangal, and lesser galangal - variations on a theme, though both the galangal varieties are more perfumed and less “hot” than the ginger

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:28 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I agree citrus is a poor substitute for tamarind

Similarly, although I suggested ginger as a sub for galangal in my recipe, that was primarily because the galangal was a relatively background element. You cannot substitute ginger where the galangal is the star, for instance in the Thai coconut and galangal soup I had a couple of weeks ago when I was celebrating having found/bought some fresh galangal. It has it's own special flavour and texture (and of course lacks heat).

Postby jeral » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:19 pm

I have a jar of Tamarind paste from Waitrose. I can't vouch for it as not used it yet. (Bought to make tamarind & date chutney, that I will get round to...)
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ ... 0590-80591

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:34 pm

I´ve just made 8 kgs of Tamarind chutney, so if you want the recipe, Jeral, I´d be only too happy to post it.

8 kgs because I´ve got a friend, with a farm, who turned up one day with a huge 20kg bag full of fresh tamarind and said "Here! See what you can do with these!!"
Peeling tamarind husks is about as exciting as a wet weekend in Sheerness :shock:

Postby jeral » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:48 pm

Thanks karadekoolaid, I'd be delighted to see your tam/date recipe, only when you have nothing better to do as I do have a book one albeit not tested as "good" yet which of course yours is since 8kg rather speaks for itself ;)

Can't say I've looked for fresh tamarind here.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:56 pm

You can buy fresh tamarind in many Asian grocers, often in boxes of "sweet tamarind" which I think is more for nibbling than cooking which requires [sour] tamarind

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:55 am

Just found this "Sunflower Seed Tempeh" recipe that may be of interest, that's the flower "sunflower", not our Sunflower...
https://www.fermentingforfoodies.com/su ... ed-tempeh/

Also found this intriguing site for storing/pinching recipes, it had the Jock Zonfrillo Tarte Tatin recipe on there mentioned in the Masterchef thread.:
https://www.copymethat.com

EDIT: Homemade tempeh starter. If you've got an old fridge to hand...
https://delishably.com/grains/Tempeh

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:16 pm

Excellent internet surfing Scully! I should think that the sunflower seed Tempeh would be rather nice.

Postby scullion » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:44 am

Much as I would love to steal his credit I think the admirable research is sakkarin's.
I came across the same site for making your own tempeh a few days ago and have earmarked the seed propagator for the task. The sunflower one sounds good - and less work than dehulling soya beans - one of those 'life's to short for' jobs.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox