Register

Rum baba recipe

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Rum baba recipe

Postby Lokelani » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:22 pm

Has anyone made any of these? i remember discussing them on this or maybe the old forum but can't remember if anyone had a tried and tested recipe.

The recipes I've found so far differ wildly so I'm not sure which to try.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rum_ ... with_48561
https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/how-t ... a-rum-baba
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/m ... bas-recipe

I'm aiming to recapture the memory of the open textured soaked sponge with that lovely rum syrup. I'll have to make them in my mince pie tin or muffin tin or silicone muffin cases. So they won't have the hole in the middle, but that doesn't overly bother me.

Re: Rum baba recipe

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:54 pm

I haven’t made them but Felicity is very thorough in her research.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:04 pm

I have made a savarin, several times, which is the same thing made as one big ring of dough whereas babas are the little dariole moulds. I think I used a Good Housekeeping trvipe

The Great British Chefs recipe looks a bit eggy to me, I suspect either of the others would work quite well

And my Mum and I follow the soaking method favoured by Fanny Craddock and Jacques Pepin - put the syrup in the moulds, which should be maybe 1/3 full, put the cooked babas back in the mould and when they settle back all the way down, turn them out top down for a few minutes so the syrup flows to the top crust. They soak better when slightly warm but ot hot

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:45 pm

Can't help - just the words rum baba sets my teeth on edge........
But I was, & still am, a big fan of Jacques Pepin - still have a couple of his books, his recipes were sound - plus - he was the sex symbol of the middle aged woman at the time!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Can't help - just the words rum baba sets my teeth on edge........
But I was, & still am, a big fan of Jacques Pepin - still have a couple of his books, his recipes were sound - plus - he was the sex symbol of the middle aged woman at the time!

:lol:

when my parents retired day time TV had just got going - after lunch my dad would snooze and my mother would happily watch M Pepin cycle to the market then cook his ingredients

He's still going at the age of 84 according to Wiki

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:30 pm

He did have it.......in spades 8-)

Postby Lokelani » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:42 pm

Thanks Stokey Sue, that gives me a point in the right direction recipe choice wise.

I'll definitely try that soaking method, sounds good. :)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:50 pm

This is the savarin recipe from my collegework book, courtesy of Constance Spry, I made it twice, once perfectly, the second time slightly overcooked. Unfortunately the second one was for an exam, although I scraped through :-(
www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforumpix/savarinrec.jpg

This was the perfect one (taken by the course tutor on an absolutely rubbish camera, pre-digital)...
www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforumpix/savarin1998.jpg

I've also made individual rum babas, but can't find any piccies. I've still got a couple of savarin moulds and several different baba moulds, sadly unused for many years!

Postby Lokelani » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:31 pm

Oo that's fab, thank you for sharing your recipe Sakkarin. :)

The one in your photo looks absolutely amazing. Mine will probably be a little more misshapen & scruffy than that, but as long as they taste delicious I'll be happy!

Postby Lokelani » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:19 pm

The picture on the leg would be a lot easier to look after than the real husky!

The picture can't run off with your steak that you're bringing to room temperature on the worktop either! :lol: Our last one would never have done that, but the current one is very, very naughty. But much loved. :lol:

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:16 pm

A bit late... I bought a mini bundt tin a while back which went rusty after first use and I forget what I made.

Lakeland (and others) sell the tins, which ought to last longer than my tin one did and at a fair price too:
https://www.lakeland.co.uk/73280/Lakela ... l-Ring-Tin

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:36 pm

Lokelani wrote:The picture on the leg would be a lot easier to look after than the real husky

There is a woman not far from us with a husky. Last year a couple of times I was woken by what sounded like a dog in terrible agony & distressed - it was intermittent & disturbing. Then I found out this stupid woman was waiting at the gate of someone one house away she went dog walking with to come out - she was obviously always very late - at 7am.....! This husky is impatient & howls - & I do mean HOWL - there is never any attempt to subdue the dog - pj's on I had to go & have a word.................

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox