Register

What do you have with your chips ?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What do you have with your chips ?

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:34 pm

Fingers crossed for your tomatoes.

Like a lot of you here, my choice would be mayonnaise. But the Belgian style. What do they do to their mayo to make it so gorgeous. I've never known.

My BIL has mushy peas, mayonnaise, gravy and brown sauce.
Tony's eyes were wide open at the display when we went to the seaside with him.

Postby smitch » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:42 pm

A patty is mashed potato flavoured with sage and onion which is battened and fried. They’re available in Hornsea and Brid too, not sure if they’ve gone any further up the coast. Every chippy in Hull does them to their own recipe.

Chip spice is available on the counter in most chip shops along with salt and vinegar. It tastes sort of savoury, not particularly spicy but they do a ghost chilli version :shock:

Postby MagicMarmite » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:20 pm

Schwartz sell chip seasoning which I really like, no idea how similar it is to chip spice as I've never tasted that.

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:29 pm

Ingredients: Salt, Paprika (20%), Dried Onion (14%), Maltodextrin, Garlic Granules (8%), Sugar, Smoked Paprika, Flavouring, Citric Acid, Anti-caking Agent (Silicon Dioxide), Black Pepper, Colour (Paprika Extract), Sunflower Oil.

it seems to have a few more (unnecessary?) ingredients than the 'hull' version.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:38 pm

DD, who grew up round here, enjoyed all the extra choices once she moved north but then gradually moved south again, ending up almost on the south coast. The things she says she never sees now and that locals don't seem to know about are scallops (large slices of potato fried in batter) and battered sausages.

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:01 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:The things she says she never sees now and that locals don't seem to know about are scallops (large slices of potato fried in batter) and battered sausages.

maybe they are an older generational thing - or they choose not to make them where she is (more health conscious?) - although i'm pretty sure i've seen battered sausages in chip shops down here.
we all know of the deep fried mars bar - but would we want one‽‽

i'm not a fan of battered food so it wouldn't occur to me to look for battered potato slices - or mars bar, butter, eggs etc - although i do rather like good tempura

Gillthepainter wrote: the Belgian style. What do they do to their mayo to make it so gorgeous. I've never known.

is that the 'proper' mayonnaise or similar to the dutch 'fritessaus' - a lighter sort of mayonnaise?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:32 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:The things she says she never sees now and that locals don't seem to know about are scallops (large slices of potato fried in batter) and battered sausages.

I grew up on the south coast and used regularly ca 1970 pass a chip van that advertised “battered sausages” - it puzzled me as I thought of battering with a hammer rather than flour and water :?

I just looked and my local upmarket chippy offers “Sausage Jumbo, battered, cumberland, saveloy £1.95“

Postby smitch » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:40 pm

I saw battered sausages when I almost moved to Plymouth about 12 years ago. I assume they’re still available.

Battered potato slices are called scallops or specials around here.

Postby Loulou » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:49 pm

Salt and as much vinegar as I can physically get on them. Then mayo, salad cream, tomato k, or spicy mayo- depends what’s to hand or how I’m feeling. Must have salt though! Have had curry sauce on occasion and often mushy peas. Agree that the mayo in France and Belgium is lovely!

Postby herbidacious » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:53 pm

This is a popular thread!

Growing up, I always had a little hillock of salt on my plate to dip chips in (I don't think people worried about salt then...?) Parents ate it with vinegar too.

Now, ketchup or maybe salad cream, or still, just salt. In France, mayo and mustard.

Not heard of chip spice either. I see it's a relatively recent thing, based on American stuff. Will have to get some. (Not that I ever have chips at home...) I did have some Old Bay (must have bought it a few years ago, though, but may still have it, as it was in a nice container.)

When we bought some chips Derbyshire, they came with curry sauce and very runny mushy peas.

I once ordered a deep fried pizza in Ayr by mistake, after a long drive up from Sheffield en route to Skye. It was barely edible. I am generally not keen on deep fried food.

Scully, I am so sorry about your tomatoes. I seem to have lucked out after losing one blighty plant. Most of the ones I am growing are supposed to be blight resistant, though. Some blossom end rot on one plant which I was experimentally growing in an air pruning pot. Won't be repeating that. I just couldn't keep them adequately hydrated, even though I watered twice sometimes three times a day in the heatwave.

Postby MagicMarmite » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:39 pm

Deep fried pizza is called pizza crunch, it's one of my favourite 'dirty', foods!

Postby Amyw » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:35 pm

Funny how it seems battered sausages aren’t as commonplace as I thought they’d be . Every chippy down here does them . We also get leftover bits of batter sometimes from the chippy called scraps or gribbles.

Can’t get my head round gravy over chips , far too soggy . I don’t mind cheesy chips though

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:47 pm

It has never occurred to me that there might be chip shops that don't sell battered sausages. Saveloys I thought might be more local. Do they still sell Kate & Sidney pies? I wonder if they've gone out of fashion.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:58 pm

Battered sausage, chips and curry sauce :yum :yum . Chips with fish would be with mayonnaise and if I wanted mushy peas with it it would be from a tin of Harry Ramsden’s mixed with a liberal amount of vinegar. In Scotland I would have battered haggis or white pudding with chips and vinegar.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby halfateabag » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:28 am

Not mayo but sauce frites, bought jars of the stuff in France/Belgium. Pickled onion vinegar since being converted in a chip shop somewhere.

Chips at the interval on Sunday night pub quiz was always complicated because there were those who did not like tommy ketchup so it had to go on a paper napkin for others to dip into :roll:

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:55 am

salt, paprika, tomato powder, flavour enhancer (e621), onion powder, garlic powder,

I think you could easily play around with that combination, omitting the tomato powder (which I´ve never seen) and the MSG. Maybe use smoked paprika or use smoked salt, add some ground bay leaf and/or thyme - and even a tiny bit of sugar. Citric acid might work as well.

Just thoughts as I´ve never, ever eaten chip spice, but have made loads of spice mixes and rubs.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:16 am

is that the 'proper' mayonnaise or similar to the dutch 'fritessaus' - a lighter sort of mayonnaise?

I've not heard of fritessaus, Scullion.
The mayo they have in Belgium is lovely, but it is mayonnaise. I do try to buy creamy French mayonnaise too if I see it, but that's not often.

When I was a student, one of my regular meals was oven chips with creamy mushroom sauce.
I doubt I'd want to eat it now.

Postby scullion » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:34 am

I hadn’t realised that if it wasn’t 70% and 80% in the Netherlands and Belgium, respectively, it couldn’t be called mayonnaise.
I don’t think this country is as exacting over its food regulations...

Postby halfateabag » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:02 am

Whilst driving through Germany, we stopped off for an hour in Kaufmann (my fave German supermarket) and bought 2 different types of Gerwurtz sauce, original, and hot. They are both great on chips. They are a type of curry ketchup and very tasty.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:04 am

:shock:
scullion wrote:I hadn’t realised that if it wasn’t 70% and 80% in the Netherlands and Belgium, respectively, it couldn’t be called mayonnaise.
I don’t think this country is as exacting over its food regulations...

70% or 80% what?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox