Register

What do you have with your chips ?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

What do you have with your chips ?

Postby Amyw » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:20 pm

Personally for me , ketchup if it’s thin French fries but I love a good curry sauce with chippy shop chips . Never seen or had chip spice and not keen on mushy peas

Re: What do you have with your chips ?

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:36 pm

definitely mayonnaise.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:37 pm

I need Mayo at one end of the plate and Tommy sauce at the other :roll: :oops:

Postby Busybee » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:40 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I need Mayo at one end of the plate and Tommy sauce at the other :roll: :oops:

That’s my ideal Pats, but either will do. If we are talking seaside fish and chips then lashings of salt and vinegar, nothing else needed.

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:43 pm

Lovely crisp fries dipped in mayonnaise or, better still, tartare sauce. Have a friend who dips them in Colman’s English mustard.

Chippy chips just salt and ketchup for dipping. I dislike vinegar on chips, partly because it stinks, partly because it makes the chips soggy. Similarly I don’t like gravy or curry sauce, too wet

Postby smitch » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:50 pm

I love chip spice. I stock up when I go to Hull as where I live is a chip spice free zone.

Chippy chips are with vinegar, chip spice and brown sauce. I love mushy peas too but they have to be in a separate pot.

Fries I like with different sauces depending on my mood. I like mayo, BBQ sauce or curry ketchup.
Last edited by smitch on Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:53 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I need Mayo at one end of the plate and Tommy sauce at the other :roll: :oops:

Ideally, I think that's me too, Pat! But we never have any tomato ketchup in the house so it's always mayonnaise :D

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:04 pm

Wow - there´s two new thing I learned today. The first is that there´s something called chip spice, which originated in Hull. The second is that gravy is a popular topping :shock:
There are no chip shops over here, so I can´t relate to that one, but I usually slather my chips (I despise those skinny little things called "French Fries" :lol: :lol: ) with tomato sauce. Mayonnaise sometimes, but that´s about it.
What ever happened to HP Sauce?

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:05 pm

I've just looked up chip spice, never heard of it before. is it like the spicy seasoning that frozen potato wedges often come coated in?

Postby smitch » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:08 pm

Here is a photo I took of a Hull delicacy, patty & chips with plenty of chip spice https://www.instagram.com/p/BubkAqUn5Vk/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

It tastes different to the coating on frozen wedges.

Postby Busybee » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:25 pm

Smitch-
what’s in the pattie? Is it a mushy pea fritter?

As she gets in the car mentally calculating how long it will take to get to Hull (reckons about an hourish) - I’m on my way.

BB

Postby Kacey » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:33 pm

For me its definitely no salt & vinegar, you have to keep a beady eye on them at the chip shop as its so automatic they do it without thinking. Mayo for me, never ketchup , though i do love mushy peas if they're quality. Leftover dal is good too.

Postby Pampy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:38 pm

Chip spice is called red salt where I am - although I'd never heard of it until a couple of years ago.
No vinegar on chips for me, just salt. I occasionally like curry sauce but it has to be a good one, mushy peas* sometimes, or mayo - but never any or all of them together! *mushy peas have to be made properly - soaked marrowfats, with no additions and simmered for ages then just salted at the end. None of the dreadful messes that some chefs would have us believe are "traditional" mushy peas, like frozen peas mashed up with cream, or any with mint in them.

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:43 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I dislike vinegar on chips, partly because it stinks

Not walking home after a couple of pints - it's pure seduction! Well it is to me. :D

Postby mistakened » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:44 pm

Chip Spice or Red Salt has yet to reach Cyprus, I must make enquiries about them.
Personally I like a good tartare sauce but usually have to have mayo. Erimi Kitchen makes proper mushy peas but then George is a traditionalist

Edited to add that I Googled Chip Spice, it has a Facebook page :!: They suggest using it on Halloumi, is nothing sacred :o
Last edited by mistakened on Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:47 pm

I'm surprised that salt and vinegar isn't even an option in the survey. What is the world coming to??

What about wallies?

Postby Lokelani » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:28 pm

I have also never heard of chip spice. I wonder what it actually tastes of.

Just salt & pepper here, or if with fish salt & vinegar. If feeling indulgent it would definitely be mayonnaise.

If I'm making fish & chips at home I will make mushy peas, more like the bright green pea puree as I use frozen petit pois. I'm not a fan of the darker proper mushy pea flavour.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Salt & vinegar with chip shop/seaside chips.

Possibly mayo or tartare to dip fries in if they are served as an extra with a meal (as in those little buckets which were mentioned on another thread recently).

I take great care not to allow mushy peas or curry sauce to appear on anything I intend to eat, ever.

Hadn't heard of gravy on chips until DD went to uni in Manchester. I wouldn't have it on chips purposely but the gravy from something like meat pie and chips is quite nice ( not something I often have).

Never heard of chip shop spice but being a bit of a purist where chips are concerned I probably wouldn't want it. I don't even like curly fries.

My father, when I was grown up, only ever offered Worcester Sauce with chips. I wasn't keen.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:54 pm

I looked up the ingredients for Chip Spice/Red Salt

American Chip Spice wrote:salt, paprika, tomato powder, flavour enhancer (e621), onion powder, garlic powder,

E621 is of course monosodium glutamate, my guess is that the tomato powder might be the secret weapon for colour and flavour

I'd probably like that

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:21 pm

i looked it up, too. i wondered where you could get tomato powder and then found this - which could be a good way to deal with any excess tomatoes!
that won't be my problem this year - i will be lucky if the two tomatoes on my plants (the rest of the plants hit by blight early) survive.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox