Register

The best thing I ate in lockdown

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: The best thing I ate in lockdown

Postby Seatallan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:20 pm

We have gallons of wild garlic (Ramsoms) in our local woods. One of the best things I ate during lockdown was my home made wild garlic pesto, which was seriously yum although I say so myself. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby scullion » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:08 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of Glamorgan sausages.

Glamorgan (Welsh) Sausages

Ingredients
2 cups fresh whole-wheat bread crumbs
6 ounces aged Cheddar cheese, grated
2 tablespoons finely chopped leek or scallion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
1 tablespoon coarse-grained mustard
2 eggs, 1 separated
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
oil, for deep-frying

Instructions
Mix the fresh bread crumbs with the cheese, leek or onion, parsley, marjoram, mustard, whole egg, one egg yolk and ground black pepper to taste. The mixture may appear dry at first, but knead it lightly with your fingers and it will come together. Make 8 small sausage shapes.

Whisk the egg white until lightly frothy and put the dried bread crumbs in a bowl. Dip the sausages first into the egg white, then coat them evenly in bread crumbs, shaking off any excess.

Heat a deep-frying pan one-third full and carefully fry four sausages at a time for 2 minutes each. Drain on paper towels and reheat the oil to repeat. Keep the sausages warm in the oven uncovered. Alternatively, open-freeze, and seal; then to reheat, thaw for 1 hour and cook in a medium-hot oven for 10 15 minutes.

this is the recipe i've (roughly) used - can't remember who's it is - it was online somewhere.
i think another i looked at has a little grating of nutmeg in - which was also good. i use a greater quantity of the three cornered leek than, the ordinary, called for - mainly because we have so much!

Postby liketocook » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:41 pm

Oh I do like a Glamorgan sausage, thanks for the recipe.
I've eaten really well during lockdown but probably the "best" for me were the prawns and steak at a family bbq late June. It was our first family gathering after the restrictions were lifted to allow outdoor get togethers which made it stand out. Second is probably buying fresh fish and seafood directly from a boat. They used to supply directly to the restaurant trade only which of course dried up, however although that's picking back up now they have said they are going to keep doing one haul a week for quayside sell as they hadn't realised there was such a demand. I think there are a few businesses locally who have realised that the changes they made to survive during lockdown have actually worked well for them.

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:51 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I was trying to think of something
As much of my sense of taste was missing in action not much

Fish tasted better than most things and after a while I got a beautiful salmon fillet, cooked it chef style skin down in a hot pan until the skin was crisp and the flesh cooked, added herbs, capers and lemon juice to the pan juices to make a kind of salsa verde and served with Jersey Royals and green veg

A good meal by any standards, but especially when it’s one of the first you have tasted properly in a while

Ooh that sounds delish! :yum I can't think of a 'best' thing I've eaten during lockdown - we've had all sorts of nice things, from home baking to roast chicken (YUM), but it is SO good to be able to go out again!
MASSIVE afternoon tea on Saturday - I was well stuffed!

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Pampy » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:25 am

I planted some wild garlic about 4 years ago in a shady spot and although it comes up every year, it hasn't propagated much at all despite everyone warning that it would take over my garden!

Postby Lokelani » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:22 pm

Possibly home made pizza. The only flour I had was 00 pizza/pasta flour & we hadn't made our own for years.

Out came the Antonio Carluccio pizza dough & topping recipe & as soon as I could get mozzarella I remembered why it was worth making our own dough.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:36 pm

Doesn’t wild garlic prefer riverbanks?

Postby herbidacious » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:50 pm

Pampy wrote:I planted some wild garlic about 4 years ago in a shady spot and although it comes up every year, it hasn't propagated much at all despite everyone warning that it would take over my garden!

I'm the same. I did have gardeners pulling it up too, a few years running, but last time I bought some (third year of planting) I put it in a mini raised bed on its own (and I couldn't get a gardener last or this year...).

As it was only year two for this lot, maybe it will be better next year. (I didn't eat any of it.) I might scatter some seeds I bought in the raised bed too.

There is a NT place famous for its bluebells which we visited last year. The bluebells were almost over, and place was crawling with 30 somethings and toddlers, so not that enjoyable apart from the wild garlic. Oh, the wild garlic... There must have been acres of it. I confess I very guiltily (but not guilty enough, clearly) covertly picked a very small amount. If anyone noticed it, they weren't talking about it. I was sooo excited.

Postby scullion » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:29 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Doesn’t wild garlic prefer riverbanks?

never seen it by a river bank. the places i've seen it most often is by shady woodland paths - and also roadsides in wales.
there's quite a bit of rosy garlic near portreath, on a shady roadside, too

Postby Pampy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:33 am

Yes, it definitely prefers shady, damp places.

Postby Kacey » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:55 am

I've only ever seen wild garlic on riverbanks or nearby. I live very near the river Derwent in Derby and I'm pretty sure I was the only person picking wild garlic - and there is miles of the stuff. We're about 300m from the nearest bit of river, so we're in a flood risk area and our garden is boggy in the winter. I was thrilled to find a clump of wild garlic growing in a shady patch, I think it was the highlight of my lockdown! I dried some of the flower heads and sowed the seeds in a nice big terracotta pot, just to see what happens. I've just remembered I pickled some of the buds too, will have to have a taste later.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:30 pm

It used to grow prolifically on the side of a little lane near my mothers - on the edge of a wood. I wonder if it still does. The wood is horribly overmanaged by the council these days. No longer the magical place with lots of undergrowth and secret, secluded places I used to play in as a child. I imagine no parent would let their children play out like that these days anyway, but even so... Not good for wildlife. (But fortunately the area on the other side of the lane, which we used to know as 'the gorse bushes', and I think is not council owned, has now grown into a wood.)

My raised bed is under tree-like shrubs. Might not get enough water though...

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:05 pm

Wild garlic grows prolifically along the paths in Abney Cemetery Park - not a rivet bank, but fairly damp and dark woodland, it seems to grow in the areas of dappled shade on the edge of the thickets

The best display of the flowers I've ever seen was in Derbyshre, along a lwooded area that I think had water flowing but only when very wet, not a permanent stream

Postby Seatallan » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:57 pm

Damp woodland seems to be the preferred habitat. As I say, we get gallons of it around here. Honestly, you could pick armfuls of it and still not make an impression.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby aero280 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:37 pm

There used to be a lot of wild garlic along the roadside when we went down to the shady parts around the Helford River on the way to the delights of The Lizard. Gweek comes to mind, but it was quite a while ago.

Postby Jrc123 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:15 am

3DF3DA6D-3FE3-4D13-8EA4-6F83FE09B9FC.jpeg
3DF3DA6D-3FE3-4D13-8EA4-6F83FE09B9FC.jpeg (82.4 KiB) Viewed 4350 times

Hmm, homemade cheesecake, though the coulis made a bid for freedom.

I think I may have posted it once before and it came out upside down. Doh

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:20 am

:yum :yum :yum

that looks delicious :thumbsup :clap Magic1

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:14 am

A work of art jrc!

Postby Jrc123 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:32 am

Well, thank you :newhuggy

I’ve not generally got a sweet tooth but it was yum.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:44 am

:yum :yum :yum jrc!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox