Register

Paella

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Paella

Postby Gruney2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:12 pm

I like paella, and have a variety of pans of different sizes that do the job really well. The smallest is a 9 inch stainless frying pan, which makes a two portioner - one for the day, and one for the fridge or freezer. All my paellas are of the meat sort - typically, chicken and chorizo. I'd really like to make a seafood one, but have always been deterred by storing the second portion. Would it be just as safe to treat a seafood leftover in the same way as a chicken one? I've just got it in my head that it wouldn't be - but I'd be grateful for some knowledgeable advice please.

Re: Paella

Postby halfateabag » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:43 pm

Traditionally, paella normally (south Spain) is a mix of chx. & seafood. I have reheated this type without any problem even after 2 days, just cool it quickly and refrigerate. Reheat thoroughly.

Postby Suelle » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:00 pm

I'm not sure seafood reheats as well as meat - especially prawns which can easily be overcooked first time round. I wouldn't expect safety to be an issue, just quality.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:04 pm

I´ll second Suelle there. We often make it when we´re at the beach, but the next day it´s never as good: the prawns tend to go soft, the squid hardens up a bit, as do the molluscs, and the rice goes limp. ( Now there´s a thought. Limp rice! :gonzo :gonzo ) It´s still tasty but the textures change.

Postby Gruney2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:16 pm

Thanks all - precisely what I wanted to know.

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:24 pm

Acknowledging what's been said, there's no reason why you can't put one portion of seafood in, then a fresh (or fresh defrosted) portion of seafood in for the reheat. It's what I do, so you still get the flavour but not the rubbery texture of reheated fish.

Postby Suffs » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:37 pm

I would never reheat prawns ... they just lose all flavour and the texture is like a bathroom sponge. Most fish becomes dry and tasteless when reheated ... as has been said, I wouldn’t worry so much about safety if its thoroughly reheated ... it’s just that thoroughly reheating will result in overcooked fish.

Sorry ... I wrote this earlier and must’ve not submitted.

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:11 pm

Same as everyone else, reheated seafood would surely be rubbery and not nice at all.

Postby Gruney2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:32 pm

Thanks everyone.

Postby DEB » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:11 am

As most see food cooks so quickly what I would do is cook the rice etc. until almost cooked then remove half of the base to cool/frezze and then add half the seafood and finish cooking.
Rick Stein has recipe where the fish which need more cooking are cooked seperatly and add just before serving, in this Spanish book.

:mug:

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox