Register

Operation Empty Plate

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Operation Empty Plate

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:09 pm

The main course I had in the Great Amwell pub the other week was surprisingly small for the price...

That sounds like par for the course :D

I had never previously regarded it as a virtue though!

It's always a niggle with me, particularly nowadays, that it's very difficult to judge portion sizes from the menu of most places. Also, as Herbi found at the George IV, they can be quite variable between dishes. The description of a dish might say 'mash' but you don't know before serving if it's a blob, smear, small disc upon which the other stuff is piled, or a proper serving.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:14 pm

Although it's naughty to use disposable plastic, it is/was rather nice to be given a nicely presented box that wasn't going to spill on the way home.

I guess they use the same boxes that takeaways are put in. We have takeaways maybe four times a year, the containers are very handy for keeping things in the freezer, get reused many times until they crack and are then recycled. I've never thought of them as disposable.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:00 pm

I agree that they can be reused until they crack but that's not really that many times. When we had takeaways at work most of them were instantly thrown away (everyone used to laugh when I collected as many as I could to take home for the freezer!).

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox