Register

Mushrooms

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Mushrooms

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:36 pm

Re: Mushrooms

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:41 pm

For some reason, I disliked mushrooms when I was younger but now love them. One of the nicest meals that I had where mushrooms were the main ingredient was a warm salad of wild mushrooms - they were just cooked in butter and garlic and served on a bed of mixed leaves, with fresh crusty bread. Truly delightful.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:33 pm

I hadn't really thought about it before but mushrooms of one sort or another work with just about every cuisine, as something on toast or in a toasted sandwich, in a fry up, raw in a salad and just as well in a tomato or East Asian sauce or dressing as something creamy. I love them (but fried with an egg or served in a toasted cheese sandwich are my most nostalgic ways of eating them!).

Postby mistakened » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:44 pm

Oddly I have no problem in obtaining mushrooms. The island's principal mushroom farm is down in Kolossi, yesterday I counted six varieties of mushroom including shitaki for sale in the big supermarket, there will be forest mushrooms available in November.
Thank you for reminding me of Mushroom Stroganoff, definitely one for the list later in the year.

Moira

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:29 pm

This was a fab recipe I mentioned on Wildies veggie thread that EM kindly managed to put into a file! We made it once with one of the huge boxes of mushrooms (750g I think, anyway, much larger than the usual) and it was delicious! And even better the second day.

White Beans Au Vin
LIDEY HEUCK
YIELD 4 servings
TIME 45 minutes
White Beans Au Vin
Linda Xiao for The New York Times. Food Stylist: Monica Pierini

This recipe uses canned white beans in place of chicken for a quick and totally vegetarian riff on classic coq au vin. Mushrooms, red wine, Cognac and a splash of balsamic vinegar stirred in just before serving help this dish develop an impressive depth of flavor in just a short time. The quality of your vegetable broth makes a big difference here; use an organic or other good-quality brand for best results.

INGREDIENTS
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 medium carrots, diced into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
5 medium shallots, chopped (about 1 cup)
Kosher salt and black pepper
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
5 thyme sprigs
3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
½ cup dry red wine, such as Côtes du Rhône
2 teaspoons tomato paste
2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 tablespoon Cognac or brandy
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus more to taste
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

PREPARATION
In a Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the carrots and shallots, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until all the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the thyme sprigs and garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the wine and tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally, until the wine is almost completely evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the beans, broth, Cognac, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn the heat to low, partly cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has reduced and thickened, 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove and discard the thyme sprigs. Off the heat, stir in the parsley and balsamic vinegar; season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among shallow bowls and sprinkle with more parsley, if desired.

Last edited by earthmaiden on February 17th, 2020, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:49 pm

I am the same Pampy. Hated them as a child. My father's grey, so stiff you could stand a spoon up in the mix, mushrooms on toast put me off, I think.

I later became a bit of a mycophile thanks to a knowledgable mushroom gathering friend (also a doctor, handily.)

One of my most memorable meals as an adult has to be at the Neal St restaurant back in the early '90s. (Mr Carluccio was there too, that night.) Alhtlugh part of this was to do with the bill. (Which I did not contribute to... which kind of made it worse.)

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:02 pm

Thanks for that PP and KC2. Thought about posting a mushroom thread - been on the hunt for interesting mushroom recipes as I have a 500g box in the fridge that needs to be used less the ones used in mushroom, smoked turkey and cheese omlettes last night which was my best shot off the top of my head at short notice when I thought, must use those.

Keep getting mushrooms and not using in time - they dry up if left out so I have jars of dried chestnut mushrooms which are great crumbled into stews, stocks and braised dishes and Ive made mushroom "soy" condiment

https://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/ ... soy-sauce/

Been eyeing some of the stash of dried beans in the pantry too.

Mushroom salad looks v good, Pampy.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:28 pm

Just before lockdown I was lucky enough to to do a Behind the Scenes tour of Borough Market, a gift bought as a Christmas present from my kids. It was very good and we had a nice crisp day weather-wise so I took some quite good (for me) photos. My companion for the day is doing a watercolors class and used the vegetable photos as a project. She sent me two pictures the other day and she has really captured the different kinds of mushrooms. They must be very good for artists! (She said drawing the parsley was a nightmare though).

Sorry, no idea how to post photos on here.

Postby MagicMarmite » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:40 pm

I absolutely love them but unfortunately I'm intolerant to them, I do eat them occasionally and just suffer the side effects though.

Postby scullion » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:52 pm

this was posted, a while back, on wildfood by 'foodmary'.

Mushroom pate

1 small onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic (crushed or finely chopped)
20 - 25 closed cup mushrooms
300gm cream cheese (Philadelphia needed using up after Christmas)
Tblspoon brandy (or dry sherry)
Fresh ground black pepper
Salt to taste
Grating of nutmeg

Fry onions and garlic on a low heat in some butter until opaque with some caramelised edges. Remove to a container and allow to cool when done.

Blitz mushrooms in the food processor until in very small pieces (but you don't want a "mushy mess"). Add the mushrooms to the dry pan and spread out - over a low heat - the idea is you want to draw out and evaporate the water from the mushrooms. Mine took about 15 - 20 minutes. Add some black pepper, salt (you can add more later so don't add too much at this stage) and a tablespoon (or so) of brandy (or dry sherry would be good) and a good grating of nutmeg. Once the mushroom mixture is dry, add it to the onions/garlic and allow to cool. Once cooled, beat in the cream cheese and then put in a pot in the fridge to chill.

she also made a note on the end about stirring it through hot pasta.

Postby Lokelani » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:07 pm

I used to love mushrooms on toast as a child. Forgot about them for a few decades & have recently made them again.

I like the dark open mushrooms, they seem to have way more flavour than even chestnut ones. I overcook them for most people's taste (including my husbands unfortunately for him!). I just love them really concentrated in flavour, fried in butter until really shrunken. Yum.

Also love shitake & oyster, again cooked half to death! :lol:

I wish it was easier to buy morels or other unusual mushrooms.

Postby liketocook » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:30 pm

I love mushrooms and can't think of a favourite way, though sautéed gently in garlic butter with a splosh of cream & brandy has to be a contender. :yum
My "go to" if I'm catering veggie is this lentil & mushroom pate https://www.davidlebovitz.com/faux-gras ... te-recipe/ it's also easily turned into a vegan dish. Any spare mix is gorgeous baked in a large mushroom topped with blue cheese and/or garlic breadcrumbs.

Postby MagicMarmite » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:04 pm

This is mine, though I made it as a full sized one in my pink pudding basin!
https://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/r ... sauce.html

Postby Amyw » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:41 pm

I know it’s very cliche but I love a mushroom risotto . One of the veggie options always on a menu that I don’t mind choosing. I love big flat field mushrooms too stuffed with some cheese (Boursin is good) topped with herby breadcrumbs and baked

Postby Pampy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:10 am

Me too, Amy - I make it quite often.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:42 pm

KK and other musos might be interested in this. :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... i-mycology

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:48 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:KK and other musos might be interested in this. :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... i-mycology

:lol: My OH knew him and worked with him and I had dinner with him once :)

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:04 pm

8-) 8-) 8-)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:19 pm

His offering in Celebrity Masterchef got him chucked out in Week 1...

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How long did it take to prepare?

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox