Register

Summer fruit recipes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Summer fruit recipes

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:44 am

Re: Summer fruit recipes

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:41 am

Postby Amyw » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:24 pm

One of my favourite berry recipes is Eton mess . There are some very good shop bought meringues around now so can be a quick standby dessert as long as you have the cream and berries too .

I also love halved peaches with the hollow filled with crushed amaretti biscuits and baked with amaretto and a little brown sugar . Good for peaches that are a bit mediocre and cream of some kind mandatory !!

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:45 pm

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:26 pm

I don´t know who Meena Sodha´s food stylist is, but it´s about time she got another one.
The photo of the pies is scruffy, horribly put together and unappetising.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:45 pm

Right at the beginning of lockdown The Guardian made a statement about the photography KK. It all had to be done by the chefs/cooks because they were working from home and real photographers weren’t allowed in.

Seems reasonable. My photography isn’t bad but my food presentation skills leave a lot to be desired!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:17 am

Wow.
But a chef has to present his/her plate to at least look appetising, Those things look like they were chucked on the baking dish and photographed.
Sorry, but if I were her teacher, I´d give her 3/10: "Could do much better" :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Suelle » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:43 am

karadekoolaid wrote:Wow.
But a chef has to present his/her plate to at least look appetising, Those things look like they were chucked on the baking dish and photographed.
Sorry, but if I were her teacher, I´d give her 3/10: "Could do much better" :gonzo :gonzo

But it's realistic and lets you know that if you make them the filling might leak out. If she'd just picked out a couple that didn't leak fruit juice, and arranged them artfully on plate with some sort of garnish and a dusting of icing sugar, it might look better but it would conceal something a cook needs to know.

I'm all for photography being realistic, warts and all.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby halfateabag » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:50 am

I like the look of that Stromboli :yum

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:25 am

Interesting recipes.

Properly ripened summer fruits and berries always seem such a treat that it's only at the end of the season I can bear to muck them about too much. Of course, in these days of frozen fruit and the more mediocre out of season fruit I suppose you can have these things all year round and frozen fruit especially would work with the recipes.

One of my favourite once a year things is a it too thick sponge cake filled with sweetened mashed strawberries and
vanilla cream and topped with sweetened vanilla cream and halved strawberries. A friend's mother used to make it when I was a child and I thought it the most wonderful, decadent thing. Works with raspberries as well of course. Looks gorgeous.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:56 am

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:14 pm

They look lovely. Pity about the missing punctuation in the title of the raspberry dish. I dislike chocolate and orange together and almost skipped it because I thought the orange was in the cookies (but it wasn't!).

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:26 pm

Postby Lokelani » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:12 pm

I foraged some blackberries from the end of the field at the back of the house. There are even some in the wild end of the garden, really do need to do more weeding! Shame I don't like blackberries.

So I made a crumble. Frozen blueberries at one end for me, a dividing wall of strawberries that we both like & blackberries at the other end.

Everyone was happy.

The rest will be frozen for bramble jelly to go in gravy etc. in the winter.

I never get bored of eating strawberries though, so glad the season is longer these days. Just by themselves, no sugar or anything else needed.

Postby Amyw » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:39 pm

The strawberries were like Switzerland then , nice and neutral . Part of my job is working at an old Manor House which houses our daycare centre . Yesterday I picked a carrier bag of apples from the orchard , then blackberries in the ground and made a crumble . Lovely to use our own produce

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox