Register

Favourite sandwiches

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Favourite sandwiches

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:02 pm

Where to start! Impossible to choose ...

H-m hummus with h-m roast veg and lettuce
Brie, turkey and cranberry
Avocado, prosciutto and either fresh or dried tomatoes, optional mozzarella or parmesan
Egg mayo
Toasted cheddar cheese with various ...
Tomato and basil, with salt and pepper; tomato, salt, pepper and a little sugar
We often use green pesto or sundried tomato paste instead of butter, depending on the other ingredients and if we've got some in a jar in the fridge to use up.
Smoked salmon with cream cheese and pepper and a squirt of lemon
Banana, if I need a sweet one, bread either toasted or not.
Membrillo and manchego
Cold left-over roast lamb with lettuce and mango chutney

The list goes on and on ....

When I was little I used to love marmite with blackcurrant jam

Nothing with raw onion in :twisted:
And I always avoid bought tuna mayo, although am happy to eat our own.

Do pittas count? Or should that be another thread!! Hummus, tabbouleh or kisir, roast veg, with optional feta or halloumi has to be one of my absolute faves.

Edited to add having just seen a mention of salad cream on the chip butty thread, another childhood favourite was sliced hard-boiled egg with salad cream ...

Postby Amyw » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:20 pm

scullion wrote:tomato sandwich - bread, spread with mayonnaise, chopped/sliced tomato, basil - dried or fresh (both good but different) salt and pepper.
a spanish friend argued the toss with me once that the best tomato sandwich should just be buttered bread, tomato and salt (the spanish way) but had to admit defeat after trying my way.
i rather like the simplicity of cucumber sandwiches, too. (and yes, they are served, crusts off, by the local aristocracy at afternoon tea).

That sounds nice scullion . My mum has grown some amazing tomatoes and I think they’d be perfect in a sandwich like that.

I think pittas definitely do count . For me a sandwich is any filling encased in bread including pitta, wraps and rolls . I love toasted pitta sandwiches , they’re a bit more sturdier for the fillings . I like feta and roasted veg with maybe some tzatziki in mine

Postby Kacey » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:04 pm

Strong cheddar and onion, or Marmite, or good chutney or coleslaw or beetroot
Home grown tomatoes with salt & black pepper
Egg & mayo
Egg & salad cream - both with or without sliced tomato
Cream cheese & chilli sauce

and for a hot sandwich - and it has to be on good quality shop bought white bread only
fried egg & brown sauce
veggie sausage & tomato sauce

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:27 pm

Lunch was toasted olive ciabatta with goats cheese and sundried tomato paste :yum (with h-m iced tea)

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:31 pm

Recently I read about tomato sandwiches, apparently they're a thing in some American states, just decent sliced toms, butter and mayo, I also add freshly ground mixed peppercorns from one of those doofies I bought from Sainos.
I like wholemeal seedy bread for them.
So simple, so delicious.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:14 pm

I remember during a previous heatwave a little girl who wanted an Enid Blyton type picnic on the common

Here mum made tomato sandwiches with a hard boiled egg to peel herself and dip into a little twist of salt

She had something for afters too - I remember because she was so delighted with her posh picnic I had to inspect every element

When I was her age we liked Marmite in our tomato sandwiches, or Marmite + cheese + lettuce

Postby herbidacious » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:08 pm

In pre-Covid days, I rarely had them as they make me comatose all afternoon, plus the calorific value of ones bought in the likes of Eat and Pret (Few old fashioned sandwich shops left near to where I work, and those there are don't do interesting vegetarian ones) is very off putting. But when I did have one I really enjoyed it (then turned into a zombie.)
So not a regular sandwich eater. I do get cross when all that's on offer for me is either cheese and pickle/'plougmans'/egg mayo, though. These are all nice if done well but often they are not.
I do rather like pretend meat ones.
Some of those veggie Christmas ones with roast butternut squash, stuffing etc. are good.
Spicy bean and cheese with mayo and other bits and bobs (M&S?) is good.
Pret did a New York cheese with gherkins etc on rye which was very good.
Cheese and onion mayo - I really like but it always makes me feel very sick

Making my own for mid-lockdown trips out we've had cheese and mustard and faux bacon/ham with salad cream and mustard. Not very imaginative, but we didn't always have fresh food in the house. Egg mayo with some salad cream and a little melted butter, and a lot of black pepper...

Basically if I am very hungry, any (vegetarian) sandwich will do, though.

I used to really like cream cheese and cucumber with a bit of salad cream and lots of black pepper.
Pan bagna? (I've only made it once.)

Is marmite with blackcurrant jam still good, KC2?!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:33 pm

herbidacious wrote:Is marmite with blackcurrant jam still good, KC2?!

Sadly not as it wouldn't be my mother's blackcurrant jam made with blackcurrants from the garden :lol:

Postby cherrytree » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:28 pm

A good old far northern cheese savoury sandwich, closely followed by Marmite and watercress. Joan Bunting and I used to get all sentimental about cheese savoury sandwiches.

Postby Amyw » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:29 pm

What are cheese savoury sandwiches please

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:57 pm

Cheese savoury is great - I made it for a bunch of metropolitan foodies to eat with Staffordshire oatcakes (the oatcakes were the point for cookbook club and I had to think of something to go with them that could be served cold)
The foodies loved it

Cheese savoury is grated cheese with onion, carrot, celery and salad cream

One we haven't mentioned is hot salt beef on rye bread with mustard and pickles. The best came form Kossoff's on Petticoat Lane, but there are other places all over London and Manchester

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:25 pm

Rare roast beef with piccalilli on some kind of sturdy bread. Maybe with rocket or watercress. Love it hot with melted cheddar too. I wouldn’t mind sticking a few crisps in for crunch.

A recent creation is hot onion bhajis squashed in a sandwich with a few leaves and some mango chutney.

I’ll never tire of a crab sandwich served with a little tub of mayo on the side, lemon wedge and hot salty chips.

Postby Amber » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:39 pm

Buttered bread, spread with mayo, And then add thinly sliced celery And thinly sliced pepperoni. Lovely!

Otherwise, prawn cocktail with cucumber/rocket/cress. Or tuna and cucumber. Or the old favourite - egg and tomato. Except these days I have it with mayo, and not salad cream.

I can also cope with with ham and pease pudding, or cheese and pickle toastie.

And not one I have these days, but roast pork and apple sauce. Mmm!

Postby herbidacious » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:51 am

Wicked Kitchen, as sold by Tesco, do a number of interesting things including a sweet potato pakpora wrap. I am sure I have seen bhaji sandwiches too.

Cheese savoury sounds good.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:51 am

Amyw wrote:On the chip butty thread , a few of us were saying how amazing fishfinger sandwiches were . Toasted white bread , well done fishfingers and lots of tartare sauce .

Oh yes :thumbsup :yum

I also like Avocado and tomato on wholemeal in a sandwich. BLT comes up there too . Sorry, I'm not very original though :oops:

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:56 pm

holiday roast cold turkey leftover sandwich

Turkey is great in a sandwich!

My total favourite is the Club Sandwich. With thin chips on the side.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:03 pm

I occasionally go out with an old school friend and wherever we are we stop for a light sandwich lunch. We both admit to a slight thrill if the sandwiches arrive with an unexpected garnish of salad and crisps :lol: .

Postby Seatallan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:38 pm

Cheese savory- YUM!! :yum

I have to confess I still have a weird soft spot for Sandwich Spread....
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby WolfGirl » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:10 pm

BLT always works for me.
Cold roast lamb with Branston pickle, my favourite school packed lunch.
Decent brown bread spread with horseradish sauce, sliced cooked beetroot (not in vinegar) and fresh coriander leaves. Yummy.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:18 pm

Decent brown bread spread with horseradish sauce, sliced cooked beetroot (not in vinegar) and fresh coriander leaves. Yummy.

Now that´s a new one on me - and it sounds really delish!!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox