Register

Favourite sandwiches

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Favourite sandwiches

Postby halfateabag » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:36 pm

Lunch was a Moribobs pot of chicken and bacon filler in Moribobs seedy sliced loaf. The bread was a trifle thick but dipped the crusts in the juices of the sliced tomato with roasted pumpkin seed oil & S&P, cucumber dressing and the roasted beetroot with chilli and lime.

Postby scullion » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:06 pm

halfateabag wrote:Lunch was a Moribobs pot of chicken and bacon filler in Moribobs seedy sliced loaf.

is that a chain like pret or subway‽

Postby Amyw » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:17 pm

I think it’s a “nickname “ for Morrison’s. She often abbreviated or alters the names of things

Postby MagicMarmite » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:57 pm

I was confused too, it's not one I've heard before, although I do refer to Sainos sometimes.

Postby jeral » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:36 pm

I guessed Morrison's, and think they must be blinking good to get all those salady things in the pot yet still have discernible flavours. That's some pot.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:44 pm

I think scully was being ironic.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:58 pm

Talking of sandwich fillers, Sainsburys (and Waitrose and probably everwhere else) do a seafood one which is like a poor man's seafood cocktail. I adore it with crusty bread or a roll.

Cheese and Marmite - yummy but needs some nice crisp lettuce too :yum.

Postby halfateabag » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:47 pm

If I stepped out of line.... sorry, I have often wondered if it was OK to mention the main s'markets names so having seen Sainsbugs..... Thought Moribobs was also OK. Not wishing to offend or upset anyone. It seems so easily done.....unfortunately.....

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:19 am

Lokelani wrote:Cheese & marmite sandwiches are probably my favourite & I've never tired of them since childhood.

The cheese has to be extremely strong vintage cheddar, the strongest I can find. Lashings of marmite.

I like it best on a very chewy, well textured bread, doesn't even need butter I find. Yum.

How could I have forgotten that - one of my favourites for many years. I like it with crumbly Lancashire/Cheshire cheese as well.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:23 am

halfateabag wrote:If I stepped out of line.... sorry, I have often wondered if it was OK to mention the main s'markets names so having seen Sainsbugs..... Thought Moribobs was also OK. Not wishing to offend or upset anyone. It seems so easily done.....unfortunately.....

It’s not the BBC, we don’t have to avoid mentioning brand names

We often swap notes on different supermarkets, it might be a bit difficult to recommend a good offer on the Bargain Basement thread without saying where to find it for example

But I think Sainsbugs and Sainos are quite well known, whereas I don’t know a nickname for Morrison’s

Postby MagicMarmite » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:37 am

Same Stokey, I've never seen that nickname before, whereas Sainsburys ones are used a lot, not just on here or by me, but in real life too.
Halfatbag, after all this time did you really think we weren't allowed to mention brand names?
I'm kinda boggled by that since we all do it, all of the time.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:10 am

I have just had a fried egg sandwich for breakfast. I had forgotten how much I like them. Pappy bread, lots of butter and a nice runny egg.

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:43 am

Pepper Pig wrote:I have just had a fried egg sandwich for breakfast. I had forgotten how much I like them. Pappy bread, lots of butter and a nice runny egg.

One of my favourites too when I'm in the mood for it. Also keen as a roll, bap, baguette etc. Must be white, strange as in general I have wholemeal for sandwiches.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:28 pm

All this talk of marmite - Not a sandwich as such but ryvita spread with marmite & topped with cottage cheese/cream cheese or ..... :o blue cheese 8-) can always put another one on top if purist.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:04 pm

Actually, when I can find all the proper ingredients, I love a pan bagnat. That is,basically, a salàde Nicoise in a soft roll, with olive oil dribbling over the edges, and the gentle tuna, salty anchovies and acidic capers creating a glorious ménage -a-trois accompanied by soft French beans and tomatoes.
( KKA in poetic mode, but I don´t think I have chance at the Nobel spot :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Postby Renee » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:27 pm

You did make me laugh KK! :lol:
I used to make pan bagnat, but it was a long time ago! Juices dripping all over the place. I remember it well.

Speaking of Marmite, but not exactly a sandwich, Marmite spread on a thickly buttered crumpet is so delicious!

Postby Loulou » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:05 am

karadekoolaid wrote:Actually, when I can find all the proper ingredients, I love a pan bagnat. That is,basically, a salàde Nicoise in a soft roll, with olive oil dribbling over the edges, and the gentle tuna, salty anchovies and acidic capers creating a glorious ménage -a-trois accompanied by soft French beans and tomatoes.
( KKA in poetic mode, but I don´t think I have chance at the Nobel spot :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I had one of these in Nice 40 years ago, didn’t really know what it was but fancied a sandwich to eat on the beach. Haven’t forgotten it, and yes, was dripping with olive oil. I still remember it!

Postby MagicMarmite » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:26 am

Marmite spread on a thickly buttered crumpet with sliced blue cheese on the top, gorgonzola is my favourite for this but any will do.

Postby Pampy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:52 am

Marmite spread on a thickly buttered crumpet with crumbly white cheese on top.

Postby Linnet » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:47 am

Renee wrote:Speaking of Marmite, but not exactly a sandwich, Marmite spread on a thickly buttered crumpet is so delicious!

When I go to family in France I am always 'instructed' to take lots of both crumpets and Marmite, that's a real favourite with the boys.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox