Register

Yogurt dough pizza

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Yogurt dough pizza

Postby Binky » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:43 pm

Has anyone used this before? Various recipes online but the basic gist is to mix flour and yogurt into a dough, knead then cook for 5/10 minutes before putting toppings on. No need to wait for dough to prove which is the main attraction.

Re: Yogurt dough pizza

Postby Suelle » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:51 pm

I've used the recipe to make Nan bread - I added nigella seeds to one batch and garlic and coriander to another - and was very pleased with it. These were cooked on a griddle though, and turned over half-way through cooking.

I definitely think it would be worth trying as a pizza base, especially if the bread is cooked partially first.

I like the recipe because just opening a packet of yeast seems to sound the death knell for me, and because I can make it quickly in small quantities which is good for one-person cooking.

Don't forget you need self-raising flour! Some recipes add a little extra baking powder, even with SR flour.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:04 pm

I've made 'yogurt flatbread' quite a bit too. Yes, it will work for pizza but because of the yogurt it has more of a sour tang than ordinary bread which is worth remembering when choosing the toppings.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:13 pm

I made yogurt flatbread for the first time last week, great success

The trick seems to be to cook on a very hot pan

Definitely one to repeat

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:26 pm

Absolutely yes; I made some naan the other week (from a friend´s recipe) and he reckons it works very well as a pizza base.
As EM points out, you might need to think over what you´re going to put on top (because of the acidity of the yoghurt); apart from that, wonderful.

Postby Binky » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:30 pm

Those replies are very encouraging. :thumbsup

I am doing some very basic cooking (spag bol, making hummous and tapenades, prepping salads, pancakes for lunch, waffles for breakfast and hopefully a pizza tomorrow's lunch).

Postby Amyw » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:12 pm

Ah I might give that a go , is it just ordinary natural yoghurt ?

Postby Suelle » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:41 pm

Amyw wrote:Ah I might give that a go , is it just ordinary natural yoghurt ?

My recipe is equal weights of SR flour and natural yogurt plus seasoning. I usually use full fat Greek-style yogurt as that's what I keep in stock, but I think any yogurt would work. Some recipes add 1 teaspoon baking powder to around 350g flour.

The dough needs to be soft, but not too wet, so you might need a little extra flour or yogurt to get the right consistency.

Google 'yogurt flatbreads' for full instructions. eg

https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/re ... flatbreads or

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bre ... latbreads/

Postby Amber » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:10 pm

Definitely, definitely, do NOT try brushing these breads with melted butter after cooking :P
:D

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:19 am

I´ve just made some naan bread, because I had a craving for it.
It would work just fine as a pizza base, I guess - as long as you don´t put nigella seeds in it.
On the other hand... :lol:

Postby aero280 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:23 am

I've not made Naan or yogurt bread, but I have used Naan as a pizza base.

Our local Indian takeaway does a "Balti meal". it's huge. If we buy one, it's enough to share and the Naan that comes with it is always saved for use as a pizza base the following day. It's great! :)

Postby MagicMarmite » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:02 pm

Im tempted to give these a go.
I'm absolutely rubbish at any type of cookery which involves flour, but perhaps even I can manage these?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:17 pm

aero280 wrote:
Our local Indian takeaway does a "Balti meal". it's huge. If we buy one, it's enough to share and the Naan that comes with it is always saved for use as a pizza base the following day. It's great! :)

Oooh, where is that Will ? It will make a change for us to get a takeaway one night ... that will be a first for me ;)

Postby Suelle » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:01 pm

MagicMarmite wrote:Im tempted to give these a go.
I'm absolutely rubbish at any type of cookery which involves flour, but perhaps even I can manage these?

Almost foolproof!

My first effort was tasty but not quite right, as I didn't roll them thin enough. Once I'd sorted that out it was plain sailing:

https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2020/ ... reads.html

Postby Binky » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:06 pm

I made the pizza dough yesterday, and it was simplicity itself. I didn't even knead for the required time, just rolled it out and popped on to baking parchment, then into a very hot oven.

Toppings were mixed peppers, mushrooms, red onions and cheese.

We scoffed the lot and didn't stop to take a photo :yum

Postby MagicMarmite » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:05 pm

Well I've ordered flour* to come in my shopping on Friday so we'll see!
For heavy bottomed pan I either have my cast iron Le Creuset, or a cast iron griddle pan.

* I did have flour which I rarely used, both plain and self raising, I gave it to a friend back in the early days of lockdown as she likes to bake and I really, really don't!

Postby aero280 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:46 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
aero280 wrote:

Oooh, where is that Will ? It will make a change for us to get a takeaway one night ... that will be a first for me ;)

It's the India Garden in Bushey. The Balti can be whichever curry you like, and it comes with rice, pakoras, raita dip, and naan. We share the curry, rice and the half dozen pakoras, and save the naan for later. I haven't been up to the High Street in the evening for a while, so i don't know if they are up and running again.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:13 am

I often make weird mixtures to form sort of scones, flatbreads etc if I want something 'bready' for lunch.

Yesterday I made a mixture which turned out particularly well. There are no measurements. I put some SR flour in a bowl (I'm quite good at knowing what's enough just for me, probably 3-4 oz, I.e. no more than 125g would be very generous and make 3 or 4). I mixed in salt, a couple of good dessertspoons of light creme fraiche and then water to get a dryish dropping consistency (slightly wetter than if you were making scones to roll out). I dropped dollops onto a silicon mat on a baking tray and baked for about 20 minutes on gas mark 6-7.

The result was somewhere between a scone and a roll, very light and fluffy and delicious eaten warm with butter, cheese and Marmite and would go with soup.

I'm not sure if they'll keep well but will become for me for a quick, no fuss, little washing up thing and I would ven serve to guests on an informal basis too (maybe brush the top with milk or egg to look nice). I think you could make pizza bases too.

Postby Gruney2 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:48 am

I've successfully made self raising flour and yoghurt naans for pizza bases with great success. I always give them a minute each side in the pan before topping - my idea being to dry them out a little bit - but this may be totally unnecessary.

Just noticed Amy's question. I use ordinary full fat plain yoghurt - flour to yoghurt ratio 2:1. I've found a cup of flour is just right for one.

Postby Amyw » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:13 pm

Thanks guys

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox