Register

2 ingredients

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: 2 ingredients

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:14 am

That's a point, Smitch.

I'll have a look at the Waitrose chocolates, which I like to use in cooking. I wonder if their dark Belgian is suitable for vegan.
If I were a vegan, I'd probably look for specifically vegan labels on processed foods if possible. If I were an ethical vegan, I'd probably be avoiding certain products that were even plant based.

As it happens in this "recipe" I used half faux-milk chocolate and half dark. The faux milk was excellent.
I think the brand was Vivaldi? Something like that.

And I have no idea if normal condensed milk will whisk.

PS, I'm just making phytoestrogen substitutes in my diet at the moment. If there is a soya or a vegan sub, I'm making it.
Soya cream in the chiller cabinet - although it's a little grey, is fine in pasta dishes and sauces.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:17 am

But if it contains milk it will be listed as an ingredient? Mine has various fractions of cocoa, sugar, natural vanilla and soy lecithin. Nothing else.

Lindt’s awful anyway - might explain the weird taste

But of course I get the cross-contamination issue, and soy lecithin, because of traces of other soy compounds

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:29 am

Just off the top of my head, thinking about hidden extras.
What if there is a trace element under protein for example. That renders chocolate non vegan.
Or an e number - we all know about cochineal that can be present in some foods. If it is pink or red :lol:

Postby smitch » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:38 am

Most vegans are fine with 'may contain' as it isn't a deliberate addition/ingredient in the product. Most supermarkets are getting better at vegan labelling but don't label 'may contain' products.

There are plenty of supermarket vegan lists out there, both official and non-official.

Postby Suelle » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:41 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Just out of interest, does ordinary condensed milk whip up to a mousse-like consistency? It's an ingredient I've only ever used for ice cream and Millionaires shortbread (and doubt I would use for mousse but am curious).

I don't think it whisks in the same way as double cream, but it's whisked in recipes such as Key Lime pie to give a lighter texture, although the other ingredients might play a part too (egg yolks in the case of Key Lime pie).
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:30 pm

In the W*** times I used to formulate industrial lubricants, some of which were used for food machinery. The concerns in particular were that they be animal, GM & nut-free. Interestingly other allergens were less of an issue, I suppose (with the possible exception of soya) they were unlikely to be a source of lubricant ingredients. Remember this is for a product that shouldn't get into the food but for which there might be incidental contact.

Additionally, our products were Kosher certified, we were inspected by a Rabbi from the London Beth Din who was also a doctorate chemist. Their concerns were particularly avoiding animal products, although some were acceptable. Beeswax & shellac were, iirc. I used to have discussions with the Rabbi about the Kosher status if a fly landed in a mixing vessel or similar incidents.

As a manufacturer it's possible to make and pack products in dedicated machinery in a dedicated building, where unacceptable materials are neither used nor stored. It's not possible to guarantee that someone between the suppliers, you and the customer hasn't eaten a peanut butter sandwich and contaminated something.

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:39 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:
Additionally, our products were Kosher certified, we were inspected by a Rabbi from the London Beth Din who was also a doctorate chemist. Their concerns were particularly avoiding animal products, although some were acceptable. Beeswax & shellac were, iirc. I used to have discussions with the Rabbi about the Kosher status if a fly landed in a mixing vessel or similar incidents.

That's very interesting - what is the Kosher status if a fly landed in a mixing vessel or similar incidents?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:55 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Or an e number - we all know about cochineal that can be present in some foods. If it is pink or red

But an e-number will be listed as an ingredient, so anyone who is concerned about it can see it
Interestingly (I just looked this up because mention of E numbers made me think) pure lecithin, phosphatidylcholine, had an E number E322 but that covers both egg and soy lecithin so Lidl have chosen to tell us indirectly that the product is vegan (lecithin is in every cell of your body, totally safe, it’s weird stuff, I had a little tub of pure lecithin in my lab, like ear wax). So pure it’s unlikely to be a problem for allergy apparently
I say indirectly because the product is badged for Fairtrade and FSC certified packaging, but not vegetarian or vegan. Odd, these Lidlians

Cochineal aka Carmine red is made from beetles and is pink if you use a little and red if you use a lot! Has the advantage of being both heat and pH stable which many plant dyes are not

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:59 pm

The Rabbi took the view that accidents can happen. It was the product formulation (and the care taken in manufacture to eliminate contamination) that got and maintained the approval. :D

Postby Lokelani » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:03 pm

My husband's ideas - cheese on toast, baked beans on toast.
Mine - steak & chips!, asparagus to dip in a boiled egg.

Postby Amyw » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:42 pm

From the mushroom thread , big fat field mushroom filled with Boursin or St Ague then baked

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:17 am

I had a big bag of pumpkin seeds left over from my Muesli Bars the other day, and was toying with making a Mexican chicken with pumpkin seed sauce. It turned out I didn't have some of the ingredients (sub for epazote anyone?), so I didn't bother, but in the "Pumpkin Seed Section", there was a recipe for roast pumpkin seeds that looked interesting, just pumpkin seeds (the green shelled ones) and salt.

Heat a heavy pan up and throw in the pumpkin seeds and a pinch of salt. When they start popping like puffed rice/popcorn, cover them up and continue popping for a couple of minutes. Pour onto a cold plate so they cool slightly and they're ready. Really tasty!

I cheated and added a pinch of pepper and a pinch of chilli flakes, but the recipe is just pumpkin seeds and salt.

Roasted Pepitas:

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:27 am

epazote

Epa-what?

Roasted pumpkin seeds look great. I did them once, but they were soggy on me. I can't remember why.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:30 am

Possibly they were unshelled? The first time I made Mexican pumpkin seed sauce I used unshelled ones not realising the recipe meant shelled ones, disaster.

EDIT:
Shelled/unshelled:

Postby scullion » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:31 am

you can do the same with sunflower seeds (or a mix), too. you can also do them under the grill, with a mix round part way through. they are a very more-ish snack.

Postby scullion » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:37 am

Sakkarin wrote:sub for epazote anyone?

thekitchn.com really sells it! -

Upon first whiff, one might not be inclined to cook with epazote, as it has a pungent, petroleum-like odor. (The word epazote comes from a Nahuatl term meaning “skunk sweat”!)

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:59 am

Peter Kuravita suggests tarragon as an epazote sub.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:00 am

I think tarragon is a bit easier than trying to find a sweaty skunk to wring out.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:27 pm

I acutally have an epazote plant, but have not used any of it. I have some dried stuff, too, from the Mex grocer. I am sure it was 'sold' to me as the Mexican oregano, but maybe not.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:09 pm

There's a Mexican oregano as well I think - US recipes often use ordinary oregano and a little pinch of dried basil which is supposed to be closer to the authentic flavour I think

Just looked it up - Mexican oregano is actually in the verbena family

I think we need a research trip to Central America!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox