Register

Ceviche

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Ceviche

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:44 pm

There were a lot of ceviche recipes (and pictures) on my Instagram this week. Some of them were absolutely incredible. It´s a popular dish around here, not only because it´s very easy to make, but also because we´re very close to the sea, so fresh fish is never a problem.
The last time I made some (because I rarely make it just for myself) was for a wedding back in October last year. Sea bass is the preferred fish, although a good , firm , white fish will do. Back then I made it with maji-maji, or "dorado" as it is called here. Red onion, loads of fresh lime juice, Peruvian yellow chile, salt, and a dollop of sweet potato purée on top. The best way to make it, IMHO, is to mix the fish, onions and chile paste first, then add the lime. 5 minutes marinating will do just fine.
Just out of interest ( but probably boredom, because I didn´t have much to do today!) I surfed the net and found this from the daily Excess. 1 1/2 hrs would probably produce fish mush, and tomatoes, and/or olives, are definitely a no-no.
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/food/1319181/Ceviche-recipe-How-to-make-ceviche

So how do you make yours?

(Afterthought). The so called "Leche de Tigre" is never prepared beforehand, at least not over here. It´s the juice which collects at the bottom of the ceviche, which the Peruvians strain off, mix with pisco, and serve the following day to cure a hangover! :wino :wino :wino

Re: Ceviche

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:31 pm

Perhaps there are many different ways to do this, some local traditions and people defending them. For example, the fish used in Venezuela is probably different from that typical of countries on the Pacific coast. I've seen all sorts of ingredients used in recipes, including orange juice and tomato ketchup.

I've made it with various gadoids, cod, haddock, pollack and even frozen coley. The latter was at least as good as the others. I've also made versions with salmon, mackerel and bass. I've used lime or lemon, add onion - brown, red or spring. Usually coriander leaf, but have also used papalo or pipiche. Salt obviously, but also a little chilli, not too much for most consumers, they're usually struggling with the raw fish concept without giving them chilli trepidation as well. I marinate for an hour or so, even eat leftovers the following day without any great loss of niceness IMHO.

It's a dish I love. Whenever I've eaten it in restaurants it has never seemed any better than home made.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:48 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever made it

Lived on it for a week in Lima, Peru, but didn’t recognise all the fish as of course they were Pacific fish from the Humboldt current

One reason I don’t make it in London is that I’m never sure if the fish is as fresh as I’d want it. Might put the recipe in my back pocket if I go somewhere I can get fish right off the day boat

I thought Martin Morales Would have a simple Peruvian recipe but in fact his is a complex restaurant version (his restaurant Andina is a well-known London Peruvian place). Interesting though

https://www.countryandtownhouse.co.uk/f ... s-ceviche/

ETA I think there are typos in that recipe - head for heat, and I don’t think you need the juice of 12 limes + extra to taste for 4 portions, I think that should read 1 to 2 limes + extra to taste
But it caused me to search and discover Sainsbury stock Amarillo yellow chillis

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:39 am

BM - there´s no doubt that ceviche can be made with any fish you care to choose. Oily fish, however, do not give the right texture, and marinating it for an hour is unnecessary. I´ll confess:about 25 years ago I was in Margarita Is., where a friend of mine ran a restaurant with a Peruvian/Japanese chef. They prepared a ceviche in 10 minutes. The fish was sea bass ( and yes, almost any meaty white fish will do) but it was barely marinated in the lime juice for five minutes. One of the best I have ever tasted.
I don´t believe it makes too much of a difference if the fish is very fresh, or, as GM calls it " fresh-frozen". The important thing is that the fish is slightly chewy, but "cooked" in the lime juice.
And I agree - it´s better made at home than in a restaurant!

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:31 pm

Oh, I don't doubt it doesn't need a long soak in the juice. It's just it seems quite forgiving in that regard. I prefer white fish I think, but mackerel has its adherents too, just that Mrs B isn't keen on mackerel. Hadn't dreamt of using salmon until I saw a recipe with it by my beloved Tessa Kiros. I've not used molluscs. Surely those Patagonian scallops would be great in ceviche but they're a no-no for Mrs B, unless blanched first, which would probably ruin things.

It's a great dish though. Anyone who hasn't tried it, please do. :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:22 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:I don´t believe it makes too much of a difference if the fish is very fresh, or, as GM calls it " fresh-frozen". The important thing is that the fish is slightly chewy, but "cooked" in the lime juice.

I was thinking more of microbiology than flavour - I wouldn't eat any fish raw unless \i was sure of it's provenance, llime juice may make it taste cooked but I doubt it's germicidal

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:53 pm

Well you´d have been horrified in Mexico, Sue. I was served something called "aguachile de camarones" - raw shrimp marinated in lime juice and chiles. :shock: :shock: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:09 pm

Depends on where you ate it
I ate oysters in Mexico

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:20 pm

There's also macrobiology to consider of course; if in doubt, frozen fish should be free of live parasites and will have been pretty fresh when it was frozen.

I've not tried prawn ceviche, crustacea weren't expressly ruled out of Mrs B's diet but it was assumed they'd be cooked. I went to a Peruvian restaurant in London, can't remember the name, they had prawns as a ceviche option iirc.

Mmm, the fish stall's in Hertford tomorrow...

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:28 pm

Definitely a reliable source, Sue: a restaurant called " Agua y Sal" considered to be one of the best fish restaurants in Mexico City.
When I got the bill, I realised :shock:

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox