Register

The perfect cuppa

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

The perfect cuppa

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:49 pm

Re: The perfect cuppa

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I read this hoping to find that I am not the only person on the planet who sets a timer for 5 minutes to brew her tea ;) :thumbsup

Postby Grasshopper » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:06 pm

Tea in a microwave? Think I'll pass, thanks ;)

If I forget my tea and it goes cold, I drink it anyway.

:mrgreen:
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Busybee » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:06 pm

There is a tea and coffee importer in Gateshead that has a small drinks bar in the shop. When you order a tea it comes with a digital timer counting down from five minutes. They are very particular that your tea is brewed correctly before consumption!

BB

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:33 pm

Interesting about the specially developed microwave teapot.

I rarely drink tea because it's a faff and unless its Earl Grey or Lapsang I like milk in it which adds calories. Having worked in an environment for a long time where a teabag in a cup had to suffice I got used to making it for others, and sometimes for me (two teabags in a cup were best, which shows what the tea was like!). It is a pleasure to sit down to property made leaf tea in a teapot in the afternoon sometimes though. I'll stick to black instant coffee for my mediocre drink of choice.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:20 pm

I really like tea but a teabag in a cup is so disgusting I drink instant coffee at work in preference.

Postby Renee » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:07 am

I also often drink my tea cold grasshopper. I quite like it.

Postby Kacey » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:04 am

I sometimes get a little bit fed up of our tea making ritual, but a bag in a mug every now and then confirms its worth while.

Kettle on filled with freshly drawn water
4 mug sized teapot with a few inches of water, in the microwave for 3 mins - to warm up the pot ready
4 teaspoons of Yorkshire tea in the pot
Fill with the just boiled water and set the timer for 6 mins.

Lots of practice went in to finding this optimum method for us!

Postby halfateabag » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:48 am

Loose leaf tea, it has to be Kenyan (normally from Southall), a pinch of lapsing to the pot, 2 cups each and only use T bags when trades are here, a T bag does 2 mugs.

During recent hot weather, have been having peppermint (picked from the garden) tea in the afternoon with a sweetener - very refreshing.

On the odd occasion - might have an Earl Grey T bag in a cup....

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:50 am

Kacey wrote:
Fill with the just boiled water and set the timer for 6 mins.

I'm not alone then :bounce: :thumbsup

I don't mind good quality tea bags (currently Clipper ) as long as I brew it for 5 minutes. I do use loose leaf, but only occasionally.

I only drink fresh coffee, once a day, usually late morning, but that has to be expresso strength and enough to fill a mug.

As for instant coffee, I probably feel the same about that as others feel about using a tea bag ( Bleurgh :thumbsdown )

Postby Hickybank » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:19 am

I am a loose tea man, my teapot has a removable infuser which is great, the only tea I drink is from Miles of Dorset, full bodied without being acidic, I had a delivery yesterday, a 1Kg bag, Ann likes their instant Coffee as well, so 5 100g jars plus my tea came to £25.70. Free delivery over £25
That should keep us going for a bit.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:16 pm

Definitely a loose- leaf tea drinker here. I buy Mamri Assam tea from ishopindian.com in NY - the only "tea" available here in Caracas is an insipid "black" tea which always tastes old to me.
NO ratbags in my tea, unless I´m absolutely desperate. One, because I haven´t got any :lol: :lol: and two, because I think the flavour suffers.

Postby smitch » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:33 pm

I often have ratbags in my tea, they love a bit of Earl Grey :lol:

On a weekend I use loose leaf tea in a pot with a filter in the middle. My current favourite is an Earl Grey I bought in Amsterdam last year.

During the week when I'm working, I use tea bags. I like lapsang or a smoky Earl Grey first thing, then either Earl Grey or Lady Grey the rest of the morning. Afternoons, I drink decaff Earl Grey.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:03 pm

smitch wrote: Afternoons, I drink decaff Earl Grey.

Smitch, which brand do you like? I've tried a few and so far I've liked the Sainsbury's Taste the Difference most.
For normal decaff tea I have found that I like Yorkshire Tea the best. I always buy it when it's on offer.

Some of them taste really awful!

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:05 pm

I drink Rooibos. I don’t care for it much but it’s better than any of the other herbal/flowery caffeine-free options I’ve tried.

And I like feeling like Mma Ramotswe. 8-)

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:06 pm

I often have ratbags in my tea, they love a bit of Earl Grey

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No offence to your little fellahs! That´s what my dad used to call the things.
He also disliked what he called " Lapsang Shoeshop" :gonzo :gonzo

Postby smitch » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:21 pm

KC2, the Taste the Difference decaf Earl Grey is my favourite. Weirdly their caffeine version is not very good. I currently have Twinings decaf and much prefer the Sainsburys. I've tried most of the other supermarket versions too and they're not great.

The rats love most of what we drink including beer. Norah stuck her head in my glass of Vimto during a meeting this afternoon :lol:

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:26 pm

smitch wrote:KC2, the Taste the Difference decaf Earl Grey is my favourite. Weirdly their caffeine version is not very good. I currently have Twinings decaf and much prefer the Sainsburys. I've tried most of the other supermarket versions too and they're not great.

I found that too! I like the Twinings caff EG, and Lady Grey.

smitch wrote:The rats love most of what we drink including beer. Norah stuck her head in my glass of Vimto during a meeting this afternoon :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:35 pm

Hickybank wrote:I am a loose tea man, my teapot has a removable infuser which is great,

I wish I could find a one cup tea-pot with a removable infuser that actually goes to the bottom of the pot. I now have several as you can see below, all bought for my by my daughter. The one on the left is a boden cup, with infuser (for coffee ?) , then a couple of one cup pots found in a charity shop and then the most delicate glass one with cup and infuser . This tea-pot is very large for the minute infuser (alongside) that comes less than half way down the pot. but the tiny slots in the infuser barely let the water through. It actually fits very snugly in the white pot next to it. The infuser in the large glass mug is too big for any of the other pots, so I use that directly in my normal tea mug - so not much different from using a tea-pot.

Postby smitch » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:20 pm

Patsy, I have a ‘forlife’ stump teapot with removable infuser and I love it.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox