Register

Eating the whole animal

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Eating the whole animal

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:41 pm

Lights are lungs

Considered a delicacy in central Europe, where they are deep fried

Postby Suffs » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:23 am

Oh yes Grassy ... after the butcher came twice a week there was always a big pan of lights and pluck boiled up on the Baby Belling in the back kitchen where game was drawn and dressed on the big scrubbed pine table ... it was also where Pa’s overalls were boiled in the electric copper, Pa minced the horseradish before roast beef on Sunday and polished our shoes before church and we sorted and graded the eggs ready for the weekly collection by the SAPPA lorry.

Postby Suffs » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:28 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Lights are lungs

Considered a delicacy in central Europe, where they are deep fried

And an essential ingredient in haggis of course :yum .

Postby Amber » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:51 pm

I can cope with liver and kidneys, but not sure about the rest. Chatting to a friend today, she linked me to this https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jpkvp8/cow-uterus-sandwiches-the-next-big-thing-in-copenhagen

Postby Amber » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:52 pm

Sorry, missed the name off, ....Samuel Nutter.

Postby Amber » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:03 pm

As a child in the NE, I remember tripe and ure (yewer?), but I don’t remember eating it. Would that be udder? I only remember salt and pepper and vinegar. A dish served cold?

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:40 pm

Although I'm non-meat, it's food and that has to come from somewhere. Here's a thought: Given that anything tastes good if coated in a tasty crispy batter or crumb, why have things like "tripe bites" or "quasi scampi" not been invented?

On the other hand, I think I'm right that all parts of animals are already used one way or another, so presumably it's whether it could add enough value to fetch a better price for farmers and be a cheap food for those on a budget.

My chain of thought is that a whole new industry is now described as "plant based food", i.e. it's a generic term yet products normally include the name of what it mimics. Since few people know what all these offal things are, they're all just animal-based (no nitty gritty detail needed).

Just thinking out loud.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:47 pm

There's a huge pet food industry. I think much of it goes there. I think anything can be sold if marketed in the right way, change the word tripe for unicorn or something with a few sparkles on the packet and they'd be a hit. Look how curry took off - the normal working man would have thrown it back at you in the 1950s and now it's a 'national dish'.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox