Register

Radicchio

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Radicchio

Postby Kacey » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:41 am

I have a head if Radicchio that needs using up tonight. I've just realised I only ever use it in pasta dishes (we had lasagne and salad last night). Looking for new ideas if anyone has any? Veggie only please.

Re: Radicchio

Postby Suffs » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:49 am

A roasted 'salad' is nice ... roasting chunks of courgette/squash, onion, pepper and 'wedges' of radicchio, drizzled with balsamic ... maybe some walnuts crumbled over ... great with something cheesy (baked goat cheese with a drizzle of walnut oil is a favourite here) .... if you don't have radicchio it works well with Little Gem lettuce halved lengthwise.

Crusty bread or sourdough toast to mop up the juices :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:02 pm

I tend to use it raw mixed in with other salad leaves, I seldom cook with it
Should maybe do more

Postby Pampy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:57 pm

I had it a couple of weeks ago with crumbled blue stilton and a dressing made of fresh orange and lime juice, wholegrain mustard, evoo and s&p.
Edit : also honey and a drop (literally) of sesame oil.
Last edited by Pampy on Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:05 pm

I've only ever had it raw but perhaps, as it is a member of the chicory family, it could be braised and served with a cheese sauce or added to a quiche if you already like chicory done like that.

Postby Kacey » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:54 pm

Thank you! And I only ever cook it! I like Suffs idea, especially as I have some butternut squash to use up. Blue cheese with it would be nice but OH hates it so will use crumbled feta instead.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:26 pm

The best radicchio salad ever was served at a local Italian trattoria - olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper. That`s all!!
We occasionally make a radicchio, pineapple and crispy bacon salad - that goes down well. It works well with cooked beetroot.
Then there`s grilled radicchio ( just cut the thing in half and grill it until it has grill marks on it) with a Venetian sweet-sour sauce: 1/3 cup balsamic, 1/3 cup honey, 3 tbsps olive oil, pine nuts, raisins, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tbsp butter and 1 square of dark chocolate. Cook them all together gently until the chocolate melts, add s&p. Or radicchio sautéed with guanciale - or bacon - and rosemary. Simple and quick.
ck

Postby Kacey » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:40 am

Thanks Suffs - butternut squash, red & green peppers, onions, and a few baby new potatoes, added the radicchio wedges for the last 10 mins scattered with crumbled feta, and a delicious dinner was made quickly and easily in one roasting tin! Will definitely make this again, might try it with griddled halloumi slices next time.

Postby Suffs » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:03 am

Great Kacey ... glad you enjoyed it. We like meals like that ... will hopefully be having some more soon ... when the oven is fixed! :cry:

Postby scullion » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:39 am

i had an italian packet-mix risotto, some years back, that was a radicchio one. maybe a thought for next time - if you like savoury rice pudding.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:50 am

This thread reminded me how annoyed I get in supermarkets to find that many nice leaves are only sold ready bagged (I have been in supermarkets in Australia and the USA where you can help yourself to how much you want from a box of leaves and they aren't a silly price but suppose it could be deemed unhygienic or wasteful even pre-Covid). I was dead envious that someone had got a whole head of radicchio.
I looked in Sainsburys yesterday and there, hiding on a high shelf in a bag which disguised it well, was a head of radicchio - they label it red chicory.
Thank you! I wouldn't have looked so carefully or in that place for it without this thread!

Postby Kacey » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:24 pm

Ocado have always sold it by the 'head' . Its usually the only place I can get it. In fact just lately, as with the fennel, there's been 2 types of each to choose from. When I say types I mean which supplier its come from rather than anything else.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:12 pm

Radicchio is always sold whole here, unless you buy one of those awful packets of ready-made salad. May have something to do with the huge Italian population in Venezuela, or it might just be chance.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:35 am

Slightly puzzled by difficulty in sourcing radicchio
Never looked for it in a supermarket but heads always available in greengrocers and markets in season, it’s easy enough to find round here

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:15 am

Not much in the way of greengrocers and markets here, it's all supermarkets.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:40 pm

Waaay back in the 70s, when I worked in Ecclestone Sq, there were loads of shops that sold red radicchio in Victoria. I can only imagine there was a large Italian community there. I had no idea what it was back then!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox