Register

The Eat Out To Help Out Scheme

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: The Eat Out To Help Out Scheme

Postby Pampy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:55 pm

jeral wrote:
So, am I to understand that clearly stated intentions are now all it needs for a minister to be believed? That's some sea change.

Well, yes - unless you're a conspiracy theorist! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:46 pm

Never believe what a politician tells you - there´s always a conspiracy behind it! :lol:

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:32 pm

I think at this point of the game (and it is just a game to many politicians) a lot of governments of a particular political stripe and set of inclinations, shall we say, are failing and flailing.

The truth of the matter is that this pandemic (and by extension the dire economic follow on) cannot be 'fixed' by repeating and reinforcing the behaviours that a) caused it and b) spread it. That is a practically unassailable fact in a world where there are very few absolutes.

So. Eat Out To Help Out? A poorly sloganed flail. Won't say more than that as it leads to a complex set of socioeconomic political areas and neccesarily inflammatory finger pointing.

Postby Busybee » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:08 pm

I’ve just tried to book a table at a local place, hoping to use the above scheme.

They haven’t got an available table for three months! Covid hasn’t adversely affected some establishments!

https://crabandlobster.co.uk/

Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised, it’s wall to wall people around here at the moment and if you are on holiday I suppose you want to eat out.

Whilst I’m glad that folk are getting some sort of holiday, as a local I feel like retreating even more. We have had some cases locally, closing a pub and the local cricket club has had to cancel matches, gossip says the cases came from a caravan park, but that’s just gossip who knows where any case originates from.

BB

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:24 am

What a shame you can´t get a booking, BB. I imagine that it´s a question of "right, I´ve been locked up for 3-4 months, so now I want to get out of here".

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:46 am

I have noticed that a lot of places are offering special menus for the Eat Out scheme, supposedly because they are easier to cook for the masses in restricted conditions. The choices aren't a patch on the usual menus a lot of the time and I'm not sure so worth going out for.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:11 am

Yesterday pal and I went to have lunch EOTHO at Gordon Ramsay’s Heddon Street Kitchen

His plan was always that his places would serve a London Menu throughout August, £15 for 2 courses, but the menu no longer seems to on line

My friend had the gazpacho and I had the mussels to start. The mussels were huge and delicious, some of the best I’ve ever had, served in a coconut, coriander, lemongrass and chill broth
Then we both had burgers with chips to share - very good
With wine and service we paid £23 eac

The restaurant was not busy at all, there are several restaurants on Heddon Street, which is pedestrianised, and all seemed to have plenty of capacity for walk ins

Postby MagicMarmite » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:45 pm

The mussels sound delicious, one of my favourites.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:30 pm

That’s a great deal. I quite fancy Galvin La Chappelle’s 5 course lunch but Josh is back at work so no chance.

Postby Loulou » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:56 pm

Had lunch at a lovely place in East Kent; The Dog, Wingham. I think I booked around 10 days ago? It was quite busy but it has different areas so didn’t feel overcrowded. They do bed, breakfast and dinner for £149, and the rooms look fabulous. It’s maybe just a little too near for us to take advantage but you never know!

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:07 pm

Great stuff - I´ll tell my bro. He´s only a few miles away in Maidstone!

Postby Loulou » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:58 pm

Oh, hope he likes it! Staff are brilliant- kept us supplied with carafes of cold tap water, as it was extremely hot. Great food though, and OH loved the beer( Harvey’s).

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:29 am

OH loved the beer( Harvey’s).

I would probably try to part the Atlantic Ocean right now for a pint of Harvey´s.
:lol: :lol:

Postby Loulou » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:38 pm

Well he is a Sussex boy - It’s a favourite! Funnily enough, when I moved to Kent 30 years ago, I went to a pub every Sunday night with a group of friends to play a pub game - and drink beer of course. Coming from a city with wine bars and great pubs, I had tried wine in various pubs- usually came from an optic and was yuk, G & T - minuscule amounts compared to measures in Scotland, so drank beer - Harvey’s. I got quite addicted to it and drank two pints when there. Such happy memories of that pub - The Vigo; perhaps you know it?

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:01 pm

I don´t think I ´ve ever been there, although I was in Dover 5 years ago.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox