Register

Stick Blenders

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Stick Blenders

Postby dennispc » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:13 am

We’ve had a Magimix 5200 for many years - done good service, but now only gets used for soups. Plastic bits are splitting so starting is a delicate art!

We could buy replacement parts, but as we only use it for whizzing up soups perhaps we get a stick blender instead. I don’t really want one that has lots of attachments, but the better quality ones all seem to have them. I imagine for making a liquid soup higher revs are better.

In addition we have a small Cuisinart that grinds nuts to save my teeth, it’s supposed to do sauces but it leaks a lot. It would be nice if the stick could do salad dressing as well.

What do you all use? We’d prefer one from Lakeland as we need a few bits from them, but it’s not vital.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Stick Blenders

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:25 am

I have a Bamix - I think others may have one too. It sits on my worktop as I used it on a very regular basis. It comes with 3 disc heads, also a bowl to whiz up cheese, nuts or converting granulated sugar to caster. A beaker is used to make the speediest mayo ever. If you ever go to a demo at a food fair, you will see how it converts (skimmed) milk to a jug of foam, using one of the other blades :thumbsup

https://www.ukjuicers.com/bamix-swissli ... ccd12af563

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:32 am

Are you sure you don't live in my house Dennis.....?
I've had the Magimix 5100 for many years & have Cuisinart mini processor too.......!

A couple of years back I bought a Bamix stick blender - no attachments, just interchangable blades - this isn't the usual one you see in the shops, but one with a longer stainless steel shaft which I find very useful for deep pans of soup etc. it's very powerful - I can't think of the model off the top of my head - I'll have a look for it online when I've got a minute.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:41 am

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:54 am

They vary so hugely in price that you really need to pinpoint (as you have) what you want to be able to do with it.

I've got a really cheap, basic one from Sainsburys which is fine for soup and I think would do dressings too. When I was looking, I noticed that some, even expensive ones, didn't all come right apart for washing and some parts could not be put in a dishwasher. However much I was spending, I would look closely at that aspect.

This might be helpful:
https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/in ... 94561.html

Postby Suelle » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:11 pm

My Braun stick-blender (part of a set, including mini-chopper) is many years old now, and still going strong; I'd recommend the brand.

Bamix is a very expensive brand, if it's not something you're going to use every day, or if you only do one thing - eg soup.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:24 pm

I have a Bamix, it’s good but probably not worth it it you are just whizzing up soups, I do use it quite a bit, including for instant mayo,

I’ve used a few different ones over the years and one thing I’ve noticed is that they all have a certain minimum depth of soup, below which they are ineffective so you have to play around a bit until you get to know it

Bamixers what do you use the mincing blade for? I seldom use it and one of the downsides of Bamix is that instructions are poor

Postby dennispc » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:02 pm

Thanks for all your replies, most helpful, giving me exactly what I want.

We'll have another look at the Independent article, thanks EM, if Bamix have online videos then that will overcome the poor instructions.

Luscious, what a coincidence! Can your mini processor cope with liquids?

Postby Pampy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:27 pm

I'm another Bamix user and really like it. I've also got the separate processor - https://www.lakeland.co.uk/31685/Bamix- ... Attachment - and the SliceSy https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... e758bf4226

This is a useful site which describes all the attachments and uses of the Bamix (and what the mincing blade can be used for, Sue) https://www.fromcooktochef.com/equipmen ... tachments/

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:51 pm

I have your Magimix's predecessor, the 5100 and don't really like it at all. My blender or stick do a better job of most things that I might use it for. I briefly found it useful for breadmaking, but broke the breadmaking "paddle", it really can't handle much more than a tiny bit of bread* dough. I make all my bread by hand now anyway.

The only thing I will say is they are great for replacement parts, although the parts are expensive; a new spindle and top cover cost me £32.49.

EDIT: *and pastry...

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:59 pm

I have a Bosch Maxomixx 1000W stick mini set as shown; £99.99 with a John Lewis free 2yr g'tee. I'm very impressed with it compared to others I've had and I do use the small blade chopper and whisk so they aren't just cupboard fodder:
https://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-ms8cm61 ... l/p4879256

Some sticks are heavier than others, but all (AFAIK) require sustained grip and thumb pressure on Dead Man's Button for a minute or so. If that might be an issue, a jug blender might be a better bet.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:00 pm

Thanks Pampy
I couldn’t find anything on that site, really hard for me to navigate but I did find this video on YouTube, might try the pesto, but it’s still more ad then clear instruction, and the recipe book that comes with it is a bad joke, wittering on about how the author doesn’t like tahini instead of illustrating how to use the appliance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZEtCW1Pdak

I would note I find changing blades quite difficult

I have the Magimix 5200, I use the slicing, grating and chopping functions quite a lot so it’s useful for me and I make pastry. I don’t know if the bamix SliceSy would work instead, I think the motor overheats these days so the Magimix may not be long for this work

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:15 pm

I've had a Bamix since the early-mid-70s. My mother bought it for me as a present when we went to the Ideal Home Exhibition together. (I remember it vividly as I had cystitis and was really uncomfortable walking through the endless exhibition halls!)

OH always uses it when he makes soup, I tend to use the blender as I am generally aiming for a smoother texture.
He also uses it for making, for instance, a puree of butternut squash to colour and flavour his BNS risotto. And will often chop the raw veg for a soup.
I've used the mill for coffee beeans and sugar. Ours is definitely for dry ingredients.

It's great because there's so little faff and washing up!

Pampy, that's a really useful link on how to use the various attachements!
Sue, we have had problems removing the blades as well. One was stuck on for months. I can't remember how we finally budged it.

I'm absolutely terrified of the damage you could do yourself with it and am always more than careful to turn off/ take the plug out before I start fiddling with it!

Postby Pampy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:26 pm

Sue - this is what it says about the mincing blade
Also known as the mincer or slicing blade or the S blade.

Basically it minces meats and creates pastes. It´s designed specifically to slice through, and mince and chop hard meat or fibrous vegetables, and even boned fish.

The Meat Blade (Amazon) is a very versatile blade so you can still use it to chop and puree the veggies for your baby food or to get the lumps out of mashed potatoes or a roux sauce.

Its good for fibrous ingredients so think of using this tool when you want to make a smoothie with difficult fruit and vegetables like rhubarb, leeks and asparagus.

Do bear in mind though that it is not meant to be used to crush ice. The multi-purpose blade does that.

And now I've actually read it, I realise that I've probably been using the wrong blade when making pastes for marinating etc!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:11 pm

I found in the end a long and dull video from the US Amazon shopping channel that, being slow, was also very clear

I don’t necessarily recommend the video but I’m now convinced I’m under using the beast, and have just used it to make char siu marinade. And wondering why I don’t have an A blade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-gddUNgC5c

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:15 pm

Interesting to see this bread dough video, might work for the burger buns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VCa0e0lhEY

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:23 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I have a Bamix, it’s good but probably not worth it it you are just whizzing up soups, I do use it quite a bit, including for instant mayo,

I’ve used a few different ones over the years and one thing I’ve noticed is that they all have a certain minimum depth of soup, below which they are ineffective so you have to play around a bit until you get to know it

Bamixers what do you use the mincing blade for? I seldom use it and one of the downsides of Bamix is that instructions are poor

Mine came with the stand, the 3 blades (The Aerator, Blender and Processor (mincer) ) The mincer is used for whizzing soup. I also got the Wet/Dry mill, which is really useful for cheese and sugar and a beaker for mayo and batter. It was all on offer for £120 . I also bought the Slizeasy (sp?) thingy which is a processor bowl into which the wand sits. It it shreds and chops veg and the bowl is big enough to blend 8 ozs of pastry dough.

Edited to add, I got a very useful book with it, sponsored by GR .. but with instructions how to use all the blades and recipes too :thumbsup

Postby halfateabag » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:56 am

I am on my 2nd stick blender, first one lasted 15+ years. I think it was £9.99. 2nd one was from Tesco and has attachments which is good for small amounts. Again - a tenner. Both have been invaluable for all sorts of recipes.

Whilst in Rhodes recently and it being soo flipping hot, he was not enjoying his morning cuppa as the water is so soft it spoilt his enjoyment. He has always enjoyed a coffee frappe so as it was his Birthday while we were away, he was treated to a Frappitizer (we brought it home with us) So easy to make and use, a T spoon of granules and sugar to your liking. Half an inch of water, wizz it up until a thick solid foam. Ice cubes (3 for him) and a slug each of milk and water stirred in with a wide straw..... Greece in the UK !!!!

Very noisy slurping at the end of the frappe !!!!

Postby Suffs » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:51 am

I have a very basic stick blender which I bought from Tesco 2000 -ish for around a fiver (special offer) and it’s still going strong ... I use it for smaller amounts of soup, the occasional lumpy sauce etc. but I use the Kenwood Multipro for larger amounts. I use a balloon whisk for mayo etc. I don’t think I’d get the use of it to justify an upgrade.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:10 am

The worst stick blender I had had a claw shaped base where the blade spins. It spat everywhere, and the attachments slowly died, leaving me with just the stick blender (Kenwood).

I got a single speed one without that claw shape base. I had no need for other attachments, as I have hand beaters and a Bosch food processor.
Again mine was cheap, but I can blitz soup without spitting.

It can make mayo too, but I use a balloon whisk for that job.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox