Register

Stick Blenders

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Stick Blenders

Postby DEB » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:06 pm

I have a dualit hand-blender, it does come with a number of attachments.
https://www.dualit.com/products/700w-hand-blender

I know it is not cheap but I can blend 4 litres of soup at a time with it.

Postby scullion » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:09 pm

i have an ancient braun one. i replaced it, briefly with a cheap one from lidl that didn't make it through it's first outing making humous (i couldn't find the receipt so didn't get my money back). i then remodelled the broken bit on the removable blender attachment of the braun with sugru (thanks aero) and i'm still using it a couple of years on.
i may have to sculpt it again sometime soon but it has stood up to regular use and the dishwasher.
the motor/handpiece is still going strong after 15 or 20 years.
i check on stick blenders from time to time as i can see there will come a point when there's nothing left to attach the sugru to!

Postby Binky » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:21 pm

We have the Bamix. It's been in constant use for over 20 years and if it broke I would buy another instantly.

Apart from the usual soups, sauces, lumps out of gravy/Yorkshire pudding batter, OH uses it to grind sunflower and linseeds. He can then scatter the ground up result on his muesli or weetabix each morning.

I've never had luck with the 'skimmed milk into cream' malarkey. I must look at a video to see the recommended method.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:04 pm

Binky wrote:We have the Bamix. It's been in constant use for over 20 years and if it broke I would buy another instantly.

Apart from the usual soups, sauces, lumps out of gravy/Yorkshire pudding batter, OH uses it to grind sunflower and linseeds. He can then scatter the ground up result on his muesli or weetabix each morning.

I've never had luck with the 'skimmed milk into cream' malarkey. I must look at a video to see the recommended method.

Binky ... you just put a quantity of skimmed milk into the beaker and use the 'A' blade, that is the plain disc on the wand. Here is a photo of the instructions. You can also do this with a quantity of black (instant) coffee. The key thing is 'fat free'

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:51 pm

Going back to soup making, I have found that lower power sticks (300-600W) don't always chop stringy veg, e.g spinach once cooked, rather just wrapping it round the blade bit. Also, unless the veg is chopped quite small before cooking, it can be hard work for them to go through even soft but chunky mixes without copious amounts of liquid.

With a more powerful one, I find I need less liquid and less pre-chopping, which is good for me as I prefer less chopping and also to thin soup to my desired consistency after blending once it's back in the pan to reheat/finish.

I'll use the mini blade chopper if needs must, since everything goes in the dishwasher bar the motor/plug bit. Hardly worth it for an odd veg or two, given I'll have had to peel them anyway.

My first blender was about a fiver and was actually quite good given how dubious I was, but as I get older or more fussy (not sure which) I prefer the posher one even though a fair bit heavier.

I am stuck with the big processor on the counter though as the stick stuff had to take over that cupboard space :( Of the two, the processor will probably be ditched first simply based on use frequency.

I wonder if we're helping dennispc and Missus or just confusing the heck out of them ;)

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:59 pm

I've never had luck with the 'skimmed milk into cream' malarkey. I must look at a video to see the recommended method

What does this mean please?

You can make cream out of skimmed milk? Surely not ..... can you explain.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:21 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:
I've never had luck with the 'skimmed milk into cream' malarkey. I must look at a video to see the recommended method

What does this mean please?

You can make cream out of skimmed milk? Surely not ..... can you explain.

It makes a thick 'foam' . Bamix call it a whipped topping. If I want to make my daughter a luxury style coffee, I do this to float on the top as I usually only have skimmed milk in the house.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:24 pm

Good God. That's nifty.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:41 pm

I've got a single speed Moulinex which we've had for donkey's years. I upgraded to a variable speed 600 watt Braun one quite a few years ago. It gets used quite a lot for soups, sauces and gravies. It has got a balloon whisk attachment but I either use a rotary beater or the stand mixer depending upon which is more convenient.

Postby Lokelani » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:14 pm

I wasn't impressed with the Bamix. It was fiddly to take the blades off & lethal if you forget to unplug it first & accidentally pressed the button. I know, that would be the users fault, but most have the protective cuff so you're not grabbing the little blade bits.
I loved the mini food processor that I bought as an extra, but the Lakeland Bamix was not powerful enough to drive it. I think it was 160 watts, which really isn't much. It was also a nightmare to wash after making pastry or grating cheese as you couldn't immerse & properly wash up the top bit.
I couldn't get it to chop an onion or anything like that.
It always felt like it was going to scratch the bottom of my saucepans, where I like to blend my soups.
I don't want egg white in my mayonnaise & it didn't want to make it without, so I decided I needed a stick blender with a balloon whisk for that.
I know most people adore them & no doubt practice may solve some of the problems I had. If I ever had very limited kitchen space I might try one again, but only a more powerful version.
I was going to put a link to my favourite KMix stick blender, I absolutely love it. Looks like they might have stopped making them though. :shock:

Postby smitch » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:19 pm

I was given a Bamix by my old manager when he bought a Thermomix and cleared out the stuff he no longer needed but I’ve never actually used it :oops:

I do like my Braun though, I use it loads. I’ve got one with a whisk and mini chopper attachments. I’ve had it years, I think I got it in a Debenhams sale.

Postby dennispc » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:16 pm

I wonder if we're helping dennispc and Missus or just confusing the heck out of them  ;)

:lol:

Missus has no problem, she’d have ordered the Lakeland one already, but there’s a bloke living with her that wants to make sure we’re not spending £49.99 that doesn’t help him. The Independent’s reviews of it are good, but not sure 600W is enough.

Although spares for Magimix are readily available they are a bit pricey, hence thinking about a stick blender. Also, with grandchildren mostly grown up, we don't do much mass grating, slicing and chopping, though do have all the discs. Perhaps I should’ve mentioned we have a KitchenAid mixer for bread and cakes. OH always buys ready to roll pastry.

I’d have bought the Bamix if it hadn’t been for some of you having difficulties with fitting attachments. Such things always beat me.

The Bosch at John Lewis looks a possibility as do Braun products. The Dualite has too many attachments for our storage space.

I check replies every day, enjoying reading about your use of them.

Postby dennispc » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:23 pm

After days of doing various things and seeing which blender would suit, finally decided on the one from Lakeland. At the same time we ordered a few other bits.

Yesterday received an email to say order had been despatched. The invoice listed all the items and price charged - price of the stick blender was, 'currently unavailable'. As there's not much chance of making soups at the moment, we'll wait until the Autumn.

Thanks for your help.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:48 pm

dennispc wrote:Luscious, what a coincidence! Can your mini processor cope with liquids?

Sorry Dennis - only just seen this - I basically only use the mini for making pastes/ grinding nuts/seeds etc. that sort of thing, the reverse action of the blades makes short work of them & why I bought this particular model, so I don't usually put liquids in it & if I do it would only be a small amount.

Very annoying about Lakeland - it's not rocket science, why can't they notify that items are out of stock at the ordering stage? Such a waste of time & Bad Tactics.

At least you've decided what stick you want - half the battle!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:07 pm

Every time I see this thread it reminds me of that stupid old joke, which still makes me smile, "What's brown and sticky?".*

And it's equally silly companion, "What do you call a fly with no wings?".**

* A stick.
** A walk.

Postby dennispc » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:56 pm

Thanks Luscious, even John Lewis's site is able to say whether an item is in stock or not.

However, I reacted too quickly - other goods arrived yesterday, delivery note says 'to follow' against the stick blender.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:58 pm

Yay...... :thumbsup Lakeland is redeemed.....!

Postby dennispc » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:03 am

Lusciouslush wrote:Yay...... :thumbsup Lakeland is redeemed.....!

Hermes tells me it's being delivered today between 11 and 1pm.

Off topic: I do like the way delivery drivers take a photo of parcels so you know where they leave them.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:21 am

dennispc wrote:Off topic: I do like the way delivery drivers take a photo of parcels so you know where they leave them.

Especially when it's a door you've never seen before in your life! :lol:
Hope it all goes smoothly, we'll be looking forward to hearing what you make first!

Postby Pampy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:29 pm

dennispc wrote:
Off topic: I do like the way delivery drivers take a photo of parcels so you know where they leave them.

Especially as they could just remove the parcel after taking the photo!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox