Register

Felicity's Spanish omelette

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Felicity's Spanish omelette

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:34 pm

Re: Felicity's Spanish omelette

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:24 pm

Thanks pp!
That's more or less how DS's Spanish GF made it for us when they were here.
We just speeded it up by starting off the potatoes in the microwave. We had it once with potatoes, and once with sweet potatoes, which was even more delicious.
As we don't really have a working grill, (it is in the oven and creates so much smoke and smell we never use it!), she flipped it to cook the other side.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:48 pm

I haven't made one for ages. It always used to take a very long time.
I do love a good one, though.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:51 pm

But "You could even use 100g ready-salted crisps instead of fresh potatoes"!! And "Asian crispy freid shallots"? Well I am srue you could but would it be nice? Slightly tempted to try it. I wonder if it might amuse cooking-averse husband to try it. The one thing he does cook sometimes is omelette.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:58 pm

Postby Suelle » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:07 pm

herbidacious wrote:But "You could even use 100g ready-salted crisps instead of fresh potatoes"!! And "Asian crispy freid shallots"? Well I am srue you could but would it be nice? Slightly tempted to try it. I wonder if it might amuse cooking-averse husband to try it. The one thing he does cook sometimes is omelette.

I've tried the crisp suggestion after reading it somewhere else. It was awful, and not something I'd ever repeat.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Amyw » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:12 pm

I was just going to say I’m sure we had the crisp discussion in here before . The Asian crispy shallot thing just seems wrong ! I think the potato / onion combo is the traditional tortilla . Lots of other things added makes it more of a frittata . I’m not sure if my terminology is technically right , but I’m going with it !!

My ideal temp is slightly warm , but I’m not adverse to cold . A wedge is nice for a picnic / packed lunch , instead of the dreaded sarnies

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:25 am

Interesting, Herbi!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:00 am

The instruction to use 300ml of olive oil explains why I seldom make a proper authentic Spanish omelette. Delicious, but I slightly begrudge the cost, actually not that much given how cheap the other ingredients are, I bought 3l of nice Greek olive oil for cooking on offer at £14.99 so 300ml only £1.50 I suppose but there are also the calories, and the time taken to cook through. Not a quick lunch time dish like my usual slung together frittata that includes leftover cooked spuds :oops:

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:39 am

That's a good price for olive oil.

FC's omelette looks overcooked to me. The idea is not to brown the omelette too much. I notice she doesn't brown the potatoes which is important too.
As the tortilla is usually cooked over a flame, you don't then put it under the grill.
And the potato isn't sliced chunky, it is cut off the potato with a paring knife, giving uneavenly cut slim slices.

I see in the comments someone uses tinned potatoes.
That's got to be better than the packet of crisps version.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:53 am

Gillthepainter wrote:And the potato isn't sliced chunky, it is cut off the potato with a paring knife, giving uneavenly cut slim slices..

Doesn’t that vary? I’m used to seeing stacked up slices in Spain

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:31 am

I'm sure you're right there, Sue.
I've just never seen anyone do it differently, in each of the homes I've been in in Spain. Even cafes, where the owner is making them in preparation, I've only ever seen it the one way.

I don't think I've ever had a tortilla with cubes of potato either. But I guess that doesn't mean to say you cannot get it.

The best tortilla I've ever had was by Fernando in Pamplona, my school friend's husband. It's his signature dish.
He has an enormous pan for the job. About 20 or so eggs.
And he insists it has to be a little undercooked. It takes him about half an hour over the hob.

It was in Spain in the 80's that I first learnt about residual heat: the tortilla continuing to cook as it cools.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:07 pm

herbidacious wrote:You could even use 100g ready-salted crisps

A reminder of an Asian (Parsi) take on egg and chips I tried out a few years back made of chipsticks, it was very tasty, think rosti...

http://www.carta.co.uk/foodforumpix/chipsticky-egg.jpg

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:04 pm

Just got me chipsticks, tomorrow's gourmet special is Felicity's Spanglish Omelette made with chipsticks and crispy fried onions.

Looking for the etymology of "omelette", it seems that it's from the French word for the knife it's flipped with, "alumette".

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:39 am

alumette

I feel another gadget purchase coming on.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:07 am

I google imaged "alumette" and got lots of pictures of boxes of matches. The plot thickens.

When Aldi opened here they had an extremely useful looking very wide cake picker upper/omelette turner in the jumble sale aisle. I wish I'd bought one :-(

EDIT: AH! Alumelle maybe.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:56 am

Well that was fairly rubbish! 10g chipsticks, 5g dried fried onions, 1 large egg.

http://www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforumpix/alumelle.jpg

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:19 pm

I suspect that many of us are grateful that you tried it for us!

I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I have never had Spanish Omelette. My mother used to make an omelette to use up any old veg (and tomatoes) which was past their best in our shop - plus herbs from the garden and cheese. We called it 'dustbin omelette'
because it used up things saved from going in the dustbin (or compost heap) but was told that if I mentioned it to anyone else I was to call it Spanish omelette. Thus I'd always thought the dish contained mixed veg and cheese. Just potato sounds a bit disappointing but browned, with onion, maybe rather nice!

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:08 pm

Yes, thanks for trying it, Sakkarin.
I have a thing about wasting eggs, so large one isn't bad going.

EM, just eggs and potato, you'll be surprised. Spanish cuisine is very good at using a couple of ingredients and making an excellent dish.

I like your mum's style ......

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:51 pm

Spanish cuisine is very good at using a couple of ingredients and making an excellent dish.

That´s so true, Gill! Last time I was in Spain, we probably spent half our time stopping at Tapas bars (for the tapas, of course - nothing to do with the wine). On two occasions we had a version of some kind of whitebait: salt, pepper, flour, fried, and then an egg mixed in. Simple but delicious.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox