Register

Wild about Chatter

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter

Postby Suffs » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:49 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

That sounds delicious WW :D

We have been greeted this morning by what the weather app calls a ‘haze’ but apparently this will evaporate over the next couple of hours and we will have sun sun sun for the rest of the day. Don’t think the veg patch will need watering today ... but the tomatoes are really ripening nicely and I don’t want the skins to set then split or the fruit to develop blossom end rot so now is the time to ensure the watering is consistent.

It was good to have the oven working again yesterday ... we now have bread :woohoo: and yes ... we had our Saturday pizzas for supper :yum

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:44 am

Morning all. I’ve been awake mainly since about 2.00am, too hot to have a cover on but also too cold without :?. Why is it that even on the hottest of nights one wakes up cold if not covered? Cloudy today and forecast is to stay like that and highest temperature only low 20s. Nothing planned to quiet day today.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby icelesley » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:10 am

Good Morning campers. The Sun is out, the sky is blue and the weeds removed earlier in the week have returned over night :twisted: Not a lot to do today, well it is Sunday :thumbsup

Postby halfateabag » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:32 am

Overcast and hot here. I slept with a sarong over me, the sheet was too hot. Nets are up at the window with a 'barricade' of stuff at the edge that Wuzzle will get at if he can. Strangely he was not at all bothered about going out this morning, he had to be enticed out and has now disappeared. None of them are liking this weather.

Cherry tree leaves are dropping, I collected them with the ride on mower yesterday and picked a handful this morning. I hate to see them lying there, it reminds me that Autumn is not far off.... they just have to be gone !

Postby herbidacious » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:18 am

Bright. very warm and a blanket of white cloud here.

I should probably doing all those garden chores I need to do before it gets hot, but...

Drinking coffee. Barundi.

More tomatoes to roast today.
French beans are getting critical. Technically 'over', but surely I could do something with them? The beans in the shell are proper (very small) beans.

Postby Suffs » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:05 am

Herbi, you can leave them on the plant and harvest them to use as ‘haricots’ ... you can dry them if you don’t need to use them all now.

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:13 am

good morning, all.
thickly overcast and warm.
we are off home this afternoon.

northleedsbhoy wrote:Why is it that even on the hottest of nights one wakes up cold if not covered?

your core temperature drops when you go to sleep and rises again when you wake and your metabolic rate increases so there may be a brief time between the two where you feel cold?

herbidacious wrote:French beans are getting critical. Technically 'over', but surely I could do something with them? The beans in the shell are proper (very small) beans.

leave them to mature and wither and save them to plant next year?

it was lovely to see my brother last night. we raised a glass to our father as it would have been his 103rd birthday.
off to find a cup of coffee.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:30 am

I might well try that, Suffs. I was thinking of making a hoummosy thing with them, but might try them as just beans first.

Not to self: grow fewer beans next year.

There are also the runner beans... I alwyas feel a bit overwhelmed at this point. I sometimes think I am happiest at the hard labour stage of gardening in April/May which is odd. Surely the harvesting should be the best bit. I think I have not really got into the having stuff whether you want it or not, mentality.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:39 am

Good morning
At midnight last night it was 20.5°C outside compared to 25°C the night before so a better night for sleeping

I think you lose the ability to themoregulate when you are asleep, after all in usual UK temperatures you are comfortable sleeping under a duvet or blankets when 30 minutes before you were quite ok watching telly in a shirt and not moving much. I slept under just my heaviest sheet on Friday night and the sheet + a thin cotton cover last night

Birthday supper sounds great WWordsworth

Still overcast here but warming up, will go for some kind of walk

Have a good day everyone

Postby herbidacious » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:41 am

Right, so garden centre rung re 'stolen' basket. :oops:
Last edited by herbidacious on Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:03 pm

herbidacious wrote:Right, so garden cetnre rung we 'stolen' basket. :oops:

I'm on the "Wanted List" too, Herbie. To avoid handling cash, at the moment, the pub I go to prefers you to run up a tab, and settle with a card, using "swipe". I walked out last night, completely forgetting to settle up. Damn - that means I'll have to go again, today!

Postby mistakened » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:13 pm

Homemade pizza for lunch. I cheat and use small jars of locally produced tomato sauce. Shade does not reach the back terrace until after lunch but as it is cooler and cloudier today we shall be able to have lunch outside. Just a Margarita pizza, nothing fancy

Moira

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:52 pm

Morning all! :wave. Looks as though most Wildies are having a weekend of happy activities or news (even though we have petty criminals amongst us :lol: :lol: ). I have been known to take a basket home from Sainsburys in the car if I've forgotten a shopping bag and brought it back next time. If everyone did it they'd suffer, but most people don't. Your celebration dinner sounded lovely WW.

I think the warm weather bed temperature problem is best resolved by having a chilly fan on in the room and sleeping under the quilt in the usual way. Not a resolution for tropical ladies of course.

Had a lovely afternoon with GD and her other granny yesterday. It was so good to be able to go out in the car. We went to some local woods to do a 'fairy door' hunt which someone has set up and bought fish & chips on the way home to have in Other Granny's lovely garden which has a nice shady spot to sit in. I don't know why but I was exhausted when I got home, went to bed early and slept till morning. The local Facebook page is filled with angry comments about some people who let a lot of fireworks off at 3am, I didn't hear a thing!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:55 pm

Hello everyone
WW :yum :yum

I was surprised to wake up at 6 am feeling cold, closed one of the windows and added a blanket to our empty quilt cover, then went back to sleep.

We had our Sunday morning breakfast treat - while I'm standing up for my alendronic acid osteoporosis medication OH pops to little local Waitrose to get free Observer. He always gets 2 of those wonderful chocolate torsades which we enjoy with coffee, ready for when he gets back and my 30 min standing up is finished!

Glad you've finally been able to go out in the car with GD, EM, sounds lovely!

Naughty Herbi [stern smiley!]

A friend is coming round for socially distanced supper in the garden this evening as the afternoon will be too hot to be outside. We're planning a salad of spinach, lettuce, blue cheese, walnuts and quinoa ...

Stay cool everyone ...

Postby Seatallan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:33 pm

Afternoon Wildies :wave

Enjoyed reading about the criminal fraternity amongst us :D

My runner beans are only now beginning to produce. Everything is a good 3-4 weeks later up here in Cumbria than it was on the old manor. I've just today harvested the first crop- as it turned out, exactly enough to make the runner bean meze recipe that was in the Guardian a couple of weeks ago (PP posted a link to it :thumbsup ). I'm waiting for completed meze to cool and will then jar it up as it will keep for a couple of weeks.

Warm here too for these parts (mid 20s) and hazy sunshine. Will sort out the meze and then retire to the garden. Out for a pint at one of the local pubs later. Hurrah!! :wino
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:26 pm

Eek! :o :o Hope it works Sea. :crossed :crossed :crossed

Postby liketocook » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:22 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
Lovely sounding food WW :yum
Whoops herbi, I hope they were okay about it.
Like you sea my beans are only just beginning to produce after a few early ones. I always seem to get a small handful late June/early July then nothing until mid August.
Warm here today, mid 20s so not too scorching but hot enough to beat a retreat indoors until the sun goes over a bit.
The kids thoroughly enjoyed their walk up Tinto hill yesterday though it was quite busy and boggy underfoot in places. Stiff legs all round today.
After a last minute dash to the supermarket we had a bbq yesterday evening, it was great fun but I was a tad sluggish first thing after a bit of wine and not enough sleep. Nothing a couple of :mug: :mug: and a bacon & egg bagel didn't sort out. My son has headed to Ayr for a spot of harbour fishing so :crossed he gets some mackerel. If he does we may well bbq again this evening.

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:32 pm

Seatallan wrote:Enjoyed reading about the criminal fraternity amongst us

I'm a free man!

Postby Seatallan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:45 pm

Gruney- :lol: :lol: :lol:

PP- it came out a treat! :thumbsup Thank you so much for posting the link as I'd not clocked the recipe despite us getting the Guardian delivered daily :)

LTC, glad they enjoyed their Tinto excursion. I was hoping it went well. :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby mistakened » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:08 am

Good Morning Campers, lovely cool night. only 26C so no A/C. According to tradition the humidity starts to drop on 15th August so the improvement may be early or it may be a blip.

The rest of the pineapple was turned into Pineapple Upside Down Fairy Cakes. Deb put the usual butter/sugar mixture plus a large chunk of pineapple in the cake case then topped it with the sponge mixture. It was very successful.

Moira :mug:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox