Register

Wild about Chatter

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:32 am

good morning, all.
sunny where we are, and much warmer than at home.
we are having a few days with our daughter and her partner.
my brother and his partner will be coming over to join us for dinner, today, too. i think we will be eating in the garden. i am apprehensive as to the protocol. can i hug them‽‽
there was no way we weren't going to hug our young and as we are here for three nights it would have been silly not to - but the others?
we haven't seen any of them since february and it has been so good to be able to be 'normal' for a couple of days - but we won't be going anywhere when we get home and the only contact we will vaguely have is with the food delivery man, in the middle of the week, and he'll not be touching anything we've touched.
i have eaten so much over the last couple of days that i feel the need to eat nothing for the week after our return.
keep drinking lots of water.
have a glorious day, everyone.

Postby halfateabag » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:45 am

Just love that photo Uschi, thanks for posting.

Nuther hottie here. Quiche & salad for lunch in the shade, he has got tandoori chicken & rice for his supper, should have been last night but he crashed out at 6.30 and woke up at 7.15 today !!!! I am having a beef with pickled walnuts and bulgar as I had tandoori last night. Struggle when meals get out of sequence... :roll:

Postby herbidacious » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:47 am

Next door but one teenagers were having aparty in the back garden with friends last night. (This is the same family that 'got round' the street email request for people not to have bonfires in lockdown by having one every other Friday night at 11pm and into the night for the first four months of lockdown. They did it on paper collection day... Pretty sure it was cardboard that they wre burning, primarily.) So I had to shut my window :o I opened it again at 2pm when they'd done with their singing and shouting and screaming :evil:
So only just got up ...apart from 6am cat feeding and letting out :) It was raining at 6am. Rather overcast now and close.

Not sure what we will be doing today. Painter is supposed to be coming at some point. It's set to be cloudy all day but tomorrow looks lovely and sunny so maybe we will go out tomorrow. I should do some housework/garden tidying really.

We went out for a pizza in our local (ex gastro) pub last night. While generally very disappointed that they have (permanently) turned themselves into a pizza pub during lockdown (and only ice cream scoops or nutella calzone for dessert :shock: ) it worked well last night and it was such a treat to not have to cook. The staff were all wearing visors, which helpfully had the words 'face shield' on them. (Ok I know. A brand, probably.) They had a one way system, and you had to wait outside to be be seated. But really people are not even bothering with 1m social distancing now. We were seated at a reaonsably isolated table but a couple of people unnecessarily squeezed past. But at elast we were not seated anywhere near anyone else.
This might have been (and indeed used to be) a good place for an occasional midweek lunch or coffee and dessert. They have a huge garden. But no longer, alas, with the pizza menu.

Congrats Icey. I am really depressed about my size. I am trying to move towards doing something about it which inevitably results in me doing the opposite. Monday...!

I hope you have a lovely day/dinner, Scully.

Postby liketocook » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:20 am

Good morning everyone,
Well done icey!
Dry and sunny here today, it's to be pleasantly warm rather than scorching which suits me. My kids and nephew have headed off first thing to walk Tinto hill, it's my nephew's first time doing something like this so it was a bit of a scramble to get him kitted out as Doc Marten's, skinny jeans and a leather jacket wouldn't quite do :lol: :lol: It's great to see him interested in something that involves a bit of fresh air and exercise. My oomph still seems to be awol but I'm hoping a potter in the garden and some sunshine might encourage it to return.

Postby Suffs » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:04 pm

Good morning all :D :mug: :mug: :mug:
Not really a restful night ... the best bit of sleep was between 5.30 and 9am ... I had an early shower yesterday evening and washed and hung out my coolest outfit (including the cool yellow bra) on the garden washing line, and they were dry and fit to wear by 9.30 this morning ... loose linen so no ironing :hi5:
The milkman left almond milk instead of OH's soya milk this morning. They will refund the money and he will have it on muesli ... that's all our news so far this morning ... I'd better get on with the pizza bases ..........
Stay cool folks 8-)

Postby Seatallan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:06 pm

LTC, there's a coincidence- we were up Tinto last week :) . Hope he enjoys himself. It was pretty busy when we were there, unlike our previous visit when we had the fell to ourselves. Mind you, it was off-season and the mist was down so not surprising really.

Sorry you had a bad night Suffs. It's wall to wall sunshine here but in comparison with further south, it's not mad hot (won't get above mid 20s today) and night time temperatures quite comfortable.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:11 pm

Morning everyone, hot night, we just had a quilt cover with no quilt inside. Woke up with a headache, arghhh :cry: haven't managed to shift it yet.

:clap icey! And glad you've got a starting date for your new kitchen :thumbsup

Good news, DS and GF got the keys for their new, huge apartment in Pasadena yesterday. They've got a week to move everything from the very small flat they're in at the moment.They had muttered about moving to New York, I'm mighty relieved they didn't. Doing a major move like that in the middle of a pandemic would have been mad, in my opinion. And now they've signed a 12 month contract it looks like they'll be staying put.

Hope all with a hot day ahead survive! Very muggy and close, and overcast here.

Postby mistakened » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:28 pm

Strong smell of smoke here, there is a major fire in hills between here and Paphos, nowhere near us. It started at 2 00 am, arson is suspected.
Meanwhile a medical team, fire fighters, search dogs and handlers plus two helicopters were sent to Beirut on Thursday. As you would expect there are major food collections in progress, all with promises of personal delivery. There are a lot of Lebanese working on the island. Our local supermarket sells fresh Lebanese savouries.

Moira

Postby liketocook » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:34 pm

[quote="Seatallan"]LTC, there's a coincidence- we were up Tinto last week :) . Hope he enjoys himself. It was pretty busy when we were there, unlike our previous visit when we had the fell to ourselves. Mind you, it was off-season and the mist was down so not surprising really.

[quote]
Yes they are expecting it to be busy hence the early start in the hope they might beat the crowds. The weather should be good but probably muddy underfoot after all the rain.

Postby Seatallan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:41 pm

Hope it's clear enough for a splendid view LTC. It was a wee bit too hazy for a really fab one when we were there. We can see Tinto from the Lake District fells when the weather is right.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:35 pm

I've just de- iced my freezer. It's a small chest one, and it lives in the garage -out of sight, out of mind.
I do a lot od batch cooking - one for today, one for tomorrow and two for the freezer. I keep them all together in a large bag, so they don't get lost. The freezer was full, and apart from the odd bag of veggies, and the sort of little things everyone freezes, that's about it. I was puzzled, and pulled everything out - the bag containing the batched meals I keep for when I've come home from a pint, and am not in the mood to get the pans out contained 34 dinners! Clearly, it's time I went to the pub a bit more often.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:52 pm

Gruney2 wrote:Clearly, it's time I went to the pub a bit more often.

Obviously! :D

I actually have run down my stock of little boxes of ready to eat dinners during summer when I cook less freezable meals from scratch, need to start topping up after the heat wave

Hot and sticky again here, very overcast Was amused to hear the BBC weather forecaster talk about “tropical nights”, which are apparently those when the temperature doesn’t drop below 20°C.
I always thought tropical nights were symptom suffered by middle aged ladies

Postby Amyw » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:11 pm

Gruney2 wrote:I've just de- iced my freezer. It's a small chest one, and it lives in the garage -out of sight, out of mind.
I do a lot od batch cooking - one for today, one for tomorrow and two for the freezer. I keep them all together in a large bag, so they don't get lost. The freezer was full, and apart from the odd bag of veggies, and the sort of little things everyone freezes, that's about it. I was puzzled, and pulled everything out - the bag containing the batched meals I keep for when I've come home from a pint, and am not in the mood to get the pans out contained 34 dinners! Clearly, it's time I went to the pub a bit more often.

Haha that made me laugh , a man after my own heart . I agree batch cooking seems to be primarily a winter thing . In summer for a lazy meal , I’ll just have various snacky bits from the fridge, kind of an antipasti/mezze style affair or make a large bowl of couscous or similar salad to pick at

Postby Uschi » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:35 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
Gruney2 wrote:Hot and sticky again here, very overcast Was amused to hear the BBC weather forecaster talk about “tropical nights”, which are apparently those when the temperature doesn’t drop below 20°C.

They are!! ;) Until said ladies avail themselves of some HRT. I put it off for a long while, but I did not have one decent night's sleep for ages. Now that the nights are really hot I do wake up a few times, but it is not as unbearable as it used to be.
Here's to science! :wino

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:17 pm

Uschi wrote:Stokey Sue wrote:
Gruney2 wrote:
Hot and sticky again here, very overcast Was amused to hear the BBC weather forecaster talk about “tropical nights”, which are apparently those when the temperature doesn’t drop below 20°C.

I have had all sorts of experiences in my life, but alas hot tropical ladies have always managed to give me a wide berth. :D

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:48 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Uschi » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:56 pm

Gruney2 wrote:
Uschi wrote:Stokey Sue wrote:
Gruney2 wrote:

I have had all sorts of experiences in my life, but alas hot tropical ladies have always managed to give me a wide berth. :D

Ah well, you May get lucky yet. :D

Postby herbidacious » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:53 pm

I ended up going out today. Went to get some compost, and of course couldn't resist buying a few plants (herbs) as well as some cheeese and interesting bread flour- they have quite a big food shop. And then I inadvertandly stole the handbasket I was carrying them all in :o I was just embarassed (realized when we got home and as the garden centre is in Kent not in a position to take it back right away) until my husband mentioned that they might have caught me on CCTV! So now mortified and a bit worried. I have emailed them. Probably ought to have rung earlier. They may well remember me as they sent a young man out to help with the compost but, I said I could manage which he seemed dubious about.

We had lunch out as well before this... :? in the large garden of a pub. The barrier is clearly well and truly broken.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:46 pm

Enormous birthday for J, 60 today.
Amazing dinner at one of our favourite restaurants.
Scallops and lobster for me, squid and halibut for J

Went to The Star Inn The Harbour in Whitby.

Postby mistakened » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:47 am

Good Morning Campers. Herbi, tut, tut :shock:
We have a cloudy morning, will it rain, I doubt it :cry:
That sounds a lovely dinner, WW, deep envy.

Moira :mug:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox