Register

Wild about Chatter

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:46 pm

I can’t do BBC News anymore I’m afraid but have always been a fan of Channel 4 News (TV) and LBC Radio.

The new Times Radio is very promising however.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/radio

Postby Suelle » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:07 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I can’t do BBC News anymore I’m afraid but have always been a fan of Channel 4 News (TV) and LBC Radio.

I only watch the local evening news on the BBC now - like you, I've preferred C4 news during this crisis.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby herbidacious » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:14 pm

Sky Arts looks interesting.

We just have Freeview/Freesat and Netflix. Oh and crappy Britbox.

Netflix I subscribed to to watch a specific thing two years ago, and it has retained enough iinterest, just about, for me to keep it. We just watched the BBC series Collateral on it. Rather good.
Britbox was bought at the begining of lockdown, on a slightly traumatized whim, to watch pre-2000s Doctor Who. I've only watched one story. Have watched a few other bits and bobs but its mainly carp. I should really cancel my sub. Enjoyed watching Jewel in the Crown on it, though. Superb. And Mrs Wilson.

I went through a phase of BBC Four, but not of much interest of late and it's all repeats... I don't watch tv (or DVDs) every day. Once every three days? Sometimes not for weeks at a time.

Pretty sure the BBC survives as much on foreign exports as it does the TV licence. I think Britbox is squarely aimed at Americans.

We went up to Hertfordshire today, ancestory hunting, and ended up having lunch out outside a pub. It felt weird and we felt slightly guilty. It also felt fairly safe. Well spaced tables, outside, as I said, staff in masks, lots of sanitizer around, names and contact details taken, access to toilets from outside. Contactless has now gone up to £45 it would seem. It was intersting to see the New River almost at its source.

Postby miss mouse » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:19 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Can't bear thie commercial channels, the adverts drive me nuts.

Me as well. One of the channels shouts at me when I watch on catchup and skip through the addys then offers a subscription service.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:10 pm

It was intersting to see the New River almost at its source.

You must have been quite close to here. We're less than 70 metres from the New River, North of Amwell. :D

Postby aero280 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:46 am

I worked on the New River! :D

Postby Suffs » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:15 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Another glorious morning with blue skies and golden sunshine ... the strong breeze we had yesterday has gone and the leaves on the trees are only just moving ... the world seems very still .....

Postby mistakened » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:30 am

Good Morning Campers, I know that it sounds elderly but I do wonder who watches the main stream channels these days.
We do not watch the soaps, are bored with property programmes and the drama serials have not been worth it recently.
Luckily owing to our peculiar system we can watch box sets, we have finished The Americans (excellent), are just completing Outlander then what next?

Moira

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:06 am

Good morning each and every. Re BBC4. They have been repeating star Proms from the last few years.. Last Sunday’s was the John Wilson Orchestra Broadway one. Stunning. And who knew Seth Macfarlane of Family Guy could sing? If it’s your bag and you haven’t seen it then there’s still time to catch up. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000l9rn

Tonight’s is this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0940c1p

Worth a watch and quite topical.

First day I have missed my early morning swim. I will be drummed out of the group. (All of whom were saying they were having a day off). :D

Feels very warm here already.

Postby icelesley » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:19 am

Pepper Pig wrote:But how can they make new programs at the moment Icey?

They rarely made new programmes before the virus hit, it was all repeats.

Postby icelesley » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:26 am

Good Morning campers. Blue sky and sunshine here again with just a whisper of breeze. A lovely day on the cards I think. Dinner tonight will be roast pork, Apple sauce roast potatoes, roast parsnips, steamed cabbage and carrots and gravy followed by mixed crash fruit and scream and a bottle of white wine, not sure which one yet I need to dig one out.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:32 am

icelesley wrote:
Pepper Pig wrote:But how can they make new programs at the moment Icey?

They rarely made new programmes before the virus hit, it was all repeats.

I am no fan of what the BBC has been doing over the last 18 months but your information doesn’t collate.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:06 am

aero280 wrote:I worked on the New River! :D

Presumably not the building of it... :)

Postby herbidacious » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:09 am

Badger's Mate wrote:
It was intersting to see the New River almost at its source.

You must have been quite close to here. We're less than 70 metres from the New River, North of Amwell. :D

Ah well I have unfinished business photographing graves... I should have gone to Ware too, really but ran out of energy.

Might wait until there are other things open in the area to amuse husband, though.

My x4 great grandmother was from Ware/Great Amwell. I found some of her family, which pleased me a lot as I hardly ever actually find any of my relatives in the course of photographing gravestones.

It took over two hours to get back :( 45 miles.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:19 am

Looks nice out this morning, I have been up a while. I plant to do some tidying in the garden today (= quite heavy labour. I am going to dispose of mildew infect potted marigolds and get rid of spent and slightly mildewy pea plants. I also need to do something with mildewy sweet peas. Not ready to chuck out quite yet, as still producing a few flowers, but might move out of sight. My sweet peas have caused a lot of angst this year, and not that many flowers :( ) I ought to cut back honeysuckle that’s creating too much shade, too.

OH off to visit friend this afternoon, so will have time to myself. Yay! Unless still gardening, I would like to sit in the sun (if it's still out. I supsect it won't be though...) and read. New Jasper Fforde...

I am going to roast tomatoes to make passata - at last I have enough to do this. Mixed varieties. Not sure what to make for dinner. I think we ought to have a paneer dish with naan in the interests of working down the freezer. No idea what time OH will get home. I suppose he might even eat out. Although possibly not possible (!) without booking in London.

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:22 am

good morning, all.
overcast and with the change of forecast in the last couple of hours that we'll have a bit of rain. if we're careful we will miss it if we go for a walk on the beach.
which also reminds me of the question - how can a month dead, disintegrated and desiccated seal still be so pungent‽
we only have terrestrial tv and there's too much to watch on that if you ask me. we don't do daytime tv, soaps, location, holiday or reality tv, don't watch snooker, darts, tiddlywinks or other pub games relabelled as 'sport' (or much sport come to that). i record drama series that we binge on - often the bbc4 subtitled ones and many of the things on bbc4 anyway - my favourite channel. i would be very upset if the beeb was discarded.
i thought everyone knew seth macfarlane could sing! he has done quite a few performances on the box and i think he's been at the royal albert hall two or three times in the past.
icelesley wrote:They rarely made new programmes before the virus hit, it was all repeats.

i don't find that to be true - we rarely watch repeats and there's still too much to watch on terrestrial!
anyway, my coffee is cooling.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby smitch » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:37 am

Morning all. Rubbish day here, pouring with rain. Don’t think we’ll be heading out on our planned walk. We were only going to wander along the canal so no big deal.

We watch quite a bit on the BBC and I’d be very sad to lose it in its current form.

No idea what we’re having for tea. Am going to make a breakfast potato hash type thing when I finally motivate myself to get moving. The only other thing that ‘has’ to be done today is cleaning out the animals.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:48 am

Good morning
Just realised why I don’t watch Channel 4 News much - it’s never on when I want it! There’s one News programme scheduled for today, at 18.30

Sunny with little fluffy clouds here, not as horribly humid as late yesterday, will put the washing machine on and go for my walk

Talking of new content, anyone watching A Suitable Boy? I read the book when it came out but that was in 1995, I probably read it 1996. I now appreciate I would have mispronounced every single name. It’s very well cast and Kabir must be the new heart throb?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:03 am

Morning all! :wave.

I think terrestrial TV did grand job over lockdown, they found excellent repeats plus new things like Grayson Perry which I really looked forward to. BBC is certainly tapering off now. I have always got things recorded and waiting to be watched. I tend to watch quirky things from Channel 4 and BBC4 and a few news programmes. I do think that BBC1 is generally quite poor but everyone likes different things. I'm quite sad that the likes of Netflix are putting out what sound like good productions now but won't subscribe, yet at least, or I'd have too much to watch.

Very happy to hear what was said about Sky Arts. I downgraded my Virgin package ages ago and sadly had to give it up. It would be lovely if it came back. I don't know if it's on Freeview but suspect not.

How lovely that you found gravestones to photograph, Herbi. I've only found any from any of my ancestors once and it was quite a thrill.

A sunny day. I think it's going to be quite hot but plan a longish walk anyway.

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:07 am

i'm recording it for a binge. i, too, read it back in '95.
the first time i started it ('93) i couldn't get beyond about twenty pages with all of the people introduced at a confusing rate. it was the only book i took on holiday a year or two later to force myself to have another go and realised that if i'd read a few more pages i wouldn't have put it down.
i met a woman, while we were away, who was also reading it. she'd borrowed it from a friend and ripped it in half cos she said it was too thick to hold! i found that shocking and hoped her friend boxed both of her ears, simultaneously, with the two halves when she returned it.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox