Register

Wild about Chatter

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:28 pm

Mid-afternoon it was 34.9C in the shade outside and 41.9C in the full sun ... like Suffs, I'm melting. Absolutely no breeze whatsover. There's a little bit now.

Been inside with the fan on all day. First of all we listened to the Remainiacs podcast with guest John Crace, and then while OH took his nap, I almost finished my book for Zoom Book Group on Thursday, The Muse by Jessie Burton. Very enjoyable, will recommend it on the book thread.

We had a kind of apology for a gazpacho for lunch, watered-down heinz tomato soup with loads of ice cubes, and a dash of decent balsamic with chopped chives .... it was surprisingly refreshing!

Thank goodness it's normal temperatures tomorrow - I'm sorry if it seems grouchy to complain but I really don't do well in urban heat!
Last edited by KeenCook2 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby aero280 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:35 pm

Still hot here, but I was outside doing some cutting of the long bits of bath trim... and it rained on me!! :o

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:44 pm

The sun rudely disappeared here without even saying goodbye. It's quite windy now and the sky is very dark and the forecast says an 81% chance of rain during the next hour. This could only be Britain!

It should disperse the masses from today's overcrowded beaches anyway :roll:.

I've spent the afternoon sorting and filing paperwork. What used to be known as the Inland Revenue seems to have a mind of its own but they're supposed to be sending money to me so hopefully they won't ask for it back.

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:18 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Ooh! What a coincidence. We could have waved. Socially Distanced of course. Do you live nearby? And where did you lunch? I wasn’t sure about risking it with Mum.

Not right on the doorstep but near enough. Not sure why we've never been there before, thought it's a nice place and will go back there sometime.

We lunched in the Talbot hotel, wouldn't bother to go back but it was nice enough sitting outside in the shade.

Does your mum live there? Hope your visit went well.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:37 pm

Mum lives in a little village called Aldwincle about five miles away SPI.

Postby Suffs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:35 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
It’s August!!! How did that happen?
It was a hot and sticky night but it’s cooler now ... we have a strong breeze rattling the blinds, herring gulls are wheeling and squawking overhead and the milkman has just crunched up the drive with clinking bottles and half a dozen eggs ... :D

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:46 am

Good morning

It's a glorious day; on the tram already for a morning of work.

Postby halfateabag » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:01 am

Phew, that's a bit cooler..... We sat outside from 2.30pm yesterday him with a crab and me with my lobster, some salad and potato salad. A nice bottle of Sur Lie and a couple of games of tri dominoes, the last one was sprinkled with rain drops - very cooling. There will be a seafood stock pot going on today, I have a bag of prawn shells in the DF so they will be added to the pot.

A gardening fiend gave me 8 brussels sprout seedlings yesterday so will try and get them in the ground today and guard them from the slugs of this world.

Good news is we have finally settled on a price for the Greek villa so maybe a bottle of fizz later on. There is a slight issue of confirmation of the access but it's not insurmountable. :wino :wino :wino

The Polish bit of Dad's estate rumbles on and on... The Poles want more evidence of my nieces existence !! :roll:

Postby mistakened » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:14 am

Good Morning Campers, just to reassure everyone we were hotter than the UK yesterday, today will be similar. I have a load of cotton dresses in the washing machine on the short cycle, I will have them ironed by the end of the Today programme.

Moira

Postby Suffs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:46 am

Ironing Moira :shock: think I’d forgo that pleasure and wear them damp and crinkled :lol:

Postby herbidacious » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:30 am

Hmm yes ironing at at any point is rarely appealing, but in such heat...

Not sure what I am going to do today. I will have a chucnk of tomorrow to myself though as husband will be cycling to Greenwich to meet a friend.

Sun is forecast to disappear mid morning alas, although tempertatures still up to 24, which is a nice temperature imo. I can remember years ago ending up in Gibraltar after a 14 day road trip round Spain and Portugal and thinking it a bit on the cool side, though.

Postby icelesley » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Good Morning campers. What a glorious day we had yesterday, we just tipped 31c yesterday afternoon :o this morning is blissfully cooler. I have a stack of ironing to do, it was far too hot to do it yesterday. Dinner tonight will be sirloin steak for OH, a wee lamb chop for me with salad and a bottle of Malbec, followed by strawberries and raspberries with cream. :yum

I should edit that to say the Malbec is for both of us not just for me :lol: :?

Postby mistakened » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:03 am

The ironing has been completed :) The breeze has disappeared :( Yesterday evening it was a very hot breeze, we had the A/C on until 10 00pm, that has never happened before.

Moira (drinking water)

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:14 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
there is dough to be baked but the forecast has decreased the chance of full sun from three hours to one - which could end up as none when the time should have arrived.
we are heading for a walk on the beach in half an hour, hopefully there will be few people there at this time as it's changeover day and dull - so i suppose i should head for the shower.
have a good day, everyone.

ps the job for today is flee drops and worming tablet for the cats - first of the month (pinch and a punch, no returns).

Postby Suffs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:18 am

Not taking your cozzie and going in for a dip Scully? You couldn’t keep me out this weather ... and I’m a rubbish swimmer.

Postby liketocook » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:52 am

Good morning everyone,
Yesterday didn't live up to what the forecast promised. It was pleasant enough but overcast until late afternoon when we had violent rain and thunder for the rest of the day. Today looks a bit more like it sunshine wise but decidedly cooler only to reach 17C this afternoon. As long as it stays dry I don't care if it's not scorching.
Before the rain I managed to give my courgette plants a bit of TLC, with all the wet weather they were very bedraggled and mildewy. Hopefully they'll perk up a bit now but I can't see me getting a large crop this year.
Our local beach has by recent standards been quite busy but empty compared to the crowds shown on the South Coast. Still a fraction of the numbers usually on the beach at this time of year so I think it's mainly locals rather folk visiting the town and plenty of room for family groups to stay well apart.
I'm getting an evening to myself tonight as my son is going out with friends, much as I enjoy having him here it will make a nice change. I think something easy for dinner and a glass of red will be the order of the day! :wino

Postby Seatallan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:07 pm

Morning Wildies :wave

It was a lovely day here yesterday. As the Lakes are full to bursting with tourists now we decided to head somewhere a little more off the beaten track for a hill walk, so we crossed the border and walked in the Southern Uplands of Scotland. The hill we chose (Tinto) is rather a popular walk as it is an excellent viewpoint in good weather, but whilst it was fairly busy it was much quieter than any of the Lakes honey-pots would have been in such good weather, so all told it was the correct call. Not been across the border since before lockdown so it was quite an adventure!

Ollie seems (crossed fingers :crossed ) to have got over his vomiting/coughing episode. The vet thinks it was- as we had thought- a fur ball that got a bit stuck. She gave him a thorough going over and could find no underlying issue.

Out to one of our local pubs later and tomorrow we're actually having a proper meal at the other local pub. First sit-down meal since lockdown! It'll be our first anniversary of moving to Cumbria so we thought we'd celebrate whilst we have the chance. It'll be a bummer if the local businesses have to close again but I suppose time will tell.

Re swimming, I went for my first post-lockdown swim on Thursday, at the local leisure centre. A bit eerie when I remember how busy it used to be in the centre, but the swim was most civilised! No lane rage these days.... have another swim booked for next Thursday.

Have a good day all :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby mistakened » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:24 pm

I have just checked the Paphos airport site, there are a number of flights from the UK today, hurrah, there is even a BA flight. I wonder how many people will be on the flights, are they full, I doubt it,
Whilst playing Mah Jong yesterday one of the other players received a text from one of her "summer neighbours" arriving today. P strongly disapproves of texting whilst playing but had to reply to this one to check whether the landlord knew that they were coming, he did.
I hope that all the passengers have completed their on line Flight Passes required by ROC, if not it will be a long wait at the airport and self isolation.

Moira

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:33 pm

I think you may get a lot of lads who were booked to go to Barcelona if my son is anything to go by Moira. As soon as the new quarantine regs were notified he spent a day on the phone getting his flights changed to somewhere else. He and his 5 chums are off to Crete in the morning.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:45 pm

Oops, just lost my post, I think PP and I must have posted at the same time!

Tbh, didn't say much, other than my being glad today is so much cooler! And we took the car for a run to the food bank collection point at the nearest large Tesco.
OH said that most people were wearing masks, apart from some tall, young fit-looking people. He didn't do any shopping but said it didn't look particularly crowded, and there were no queues to get in.

No traffic on the roads, not a usual Saturday morning at all!

Have a good day, everyone!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox