Register

Wild about Chatter

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:59 pm

Smitch - I take my full sharps containers to my GPs surgery who (I think) send it to the hospital for disposal along with any samples they are sending for testing. I've also taken them to another surgery where I have some outpatient treatment who are happy to take them but I have to make sure my name, date the box was started and date it was sealed are clearly marked on the box.
I originally used to take them to a pharmacy but when they stopped taking them, I contacted the local council but they said they don't deal with them at all.

Postby Pampy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:06 am

herbidacious wrote:
I don't think I have had flu more than twice in my life... although sometimes I suppose you don't know.

No - you definitely know if you've had proper flu! I was hospitalised with it and was left with permanent lung damage at the millennium.
I remember going to the hospital on the morning of January 1st 2000 and seeing all the bonfires still smouldering and the streets were completely deserted! One (and the only) benefit of being so ill with it was that I finally gave up cigarettes after many years of being a professional smoker :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:32 am

aero280 wrote:If you are paying for a flu jab, please check what sort you are getting. Our local health centre sent round a circular reminding everyone who was eligible for a free flu jab to come in to them, and not pop into a "paid for" jab at a pharmacy because it was convenient. They said that a lot of the commercial flu jabs did not cover the full range of flu, and the free ones on offer covered four types of flu.

That sounds wrong to me - if it’s not up to the standard laid down by NICE it would be illegal to sell it or use it

I’ve done a bit of digging on various government websites, and it seems all vaccines available 01 Sept 2020 to 31 March 2021 are quadrivalent (4 strains) apart from a couple that intentionally only 3 strains for special groups, but I’m not familiar with current vaccine dossiers
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... o_2021.pdf

The only risk would be in selecting the wrong one as there are several for different target populations, but I don’t suppose a pharmacist is more likely to misread the instructions than a GP, in my personal experience less so. It would probably still give pretty good cover

Locally it seems the NHS free shots are being delivered to the pharmacy as the GP practice doesn’t want us traipsing through for jabs. My deltoid muscle is just beginning to get a bit sore

Postby Pampy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:37 am

My flu jab will be done at the GPs surgery - they have special clinics on Saturdays, when the surgery is normally closed. Every other year, we've just been given an appointment time but they are actually quite relaxed about what time you turn up. This year, the appointment times are very precise (mine's 11.54) and you have to have your left arm bared and ready for being stabbed!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:40 am

Ours is a 2 handed GP practice with few rooms - it would be quite tricky to organise

Postby Pampy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:44 am

Ours has more than one door so I think it will be a socially-distanced, masked line, in one door and out of another.

Postby mistakened » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:27 am

Good Morning Campers, all this chat about sharps disposal makes me think that I am back at work!

There was a lovely herbal smell as I opened up this morning, it must have come from some of the trees/ bushes or more likely a combination of several plants.

Moira :mug:

Postby Suffs » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:58 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
I’m having my flu jab at 12 noon today. I’ll bring the info leaflet home with me (of course) and let you know what it says.

Postby icelesley » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:32 am

Good Morning campers. It's grey and cloudy his morning. Shopping day again sow I must dash I will be home by 9am. :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:39 am

Morning all! :wave. Another lovely day. Hope everyone and their loved ones are as well as can be expected.

I got up just after 6.30am which is early for me. I was surprised to find I needed the light on to read. Early mornings must be very beautiful in the countryside at the moment. When I used to drive to work at 4.30am I always thought I'd get up early sometimes at this time of year for early morning downland walks and photography but it hasn't happened yet.

Busy day ahead, oodles of laundry and housework to do in prep for DD tomorrow followed by meeting GD from school. I was in the middle of Sainsburys yesterday when ex OH phoned and asked for DD's address. She's lived at her present address for at least 6 years and he went to stay with her about 3 weeks ago :roll:.

I haven't read my flu jab leaflet yet. It's the first time I've ever been given one.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:47 am

Good morning campers. Poked my head outside about 7.00 this morning and it was a bit nippy. Forecast is for it to get warmer later on. Nothing much on today so I’m not sure what plans are yet.

Don’t know if you’ve noticed but Sky Arts becomes a free to air channel and it’s available on Freeview and Freesat. Had a quick look at the guide and it looks as though there are a couple of things I may be interested in.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:21 am

Pampy wrote:My flu jab will be done at the GPs surgery - they have special clinics on Saturdays, when the surgery is normally closed. Every other year, we've just been given an appointment time but they are actually quite relaxed about what time you turn up. This year, the appointment times are very precise (mine's 11.54) and you have to have your left arm bared and ready for being stabbed!

Mine is the same - in fact they offer 2 days to go along with (for this year) a time slot. On Monday, I could have gone along to the Church Hall for 10 am, but I will be going to the Surgery this Saturday for the 9-9.30 am slot .

Postby scullion » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:07 am

good morning, all.
sunny - after two days of thick fog/low cloud (if there's any difference) it's rather nice - and i need to charge my watch!
the tide was right for a good walk on the beach. the sand was back to cover rocks that can make it awkward to reach the top of the beach, and tide line, at lushington. the sea had also bought in a fair bit of plastic and about ten minutes of my partner saying how impressed he was with the number of years his 1.5€ grabber stick had lasted - it stopped grabbing. there was also a load of agate washed in.
we are picking up a new (to us) car in an hour or two. it will be able to drive up our slope.
dough was made last night and will be ready to bake when we get back.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:21 am

Good morning
It was very sunny here when I woke up but has clouded over, the forecast says it will be brighter again later on

Couple of Zoom calls later but just pottering on with admin stuff and laundry, I feel quite tired which I think is just due to not being able to sleep well on my injection site, so will take it easy

Need to try making a dental appointment

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:46 am

Morning all, sunny today but chillier than yesterday. We had a very enjoyable supper here with our neighbour last night while his wife is still away after their hols. First course outside and pudd inside as it got a bit too cold and windy.

For anyone who's been reading the baking thread, my cheesecake was a great success and I'll post a pic of it there :D

Hope all poorly campers and partners continue to make progress :newhuggy

Have a good day, everyone.

Postby liketocook » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:50 am

Good morning everyone,
Sounds as though there's a few folk needing hugs :newhuggy :newhuggy :newhuggy
PP- I hope you OH is improving
Uschi - glad Axel got home as planned.

You may remember that my elder son was applying for a promoted post in a different department well he got it :woohoo: :woohoo: . No start date as yet but back to ONS he will be heading, though not literally as it is a WFH role so no need to return to Wales. I'm delighted for him and can't wait to see him on Monday when his quarantine has ended. :D

I had a lovely pub lunch yesterday, it's real no-frills place with a limited menu but the food is made on site and it makes the most wonderful chips. :yum It's loos were the cleanest I've seen in a public place for a long time. My friend was a bit wary at first as it looks like a bit of dive but is planning to take her partner there next week.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:58 am

:hi5: LTC to your son on his promotion

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:01 pm

Quite warm here now and very sunny. The washing should get nice and dry.

I didn't know you could get watches that needed charging - fitness ones maybe. I think I've only ever had one that even needed a battery.

I've just spent 30 minutes completely turning out the cupboard under the stairs for some small number shaped silicon cake moulds I bought in Range a few years ago but have never used. I eventually found them neatly packed in a kitchen cupboard :evil:. Must have moved them when I did the lockdown turning out.
The moulds have some symbols on them depicting things you shouldn't do with them - freeze, dishwasher, very hot oven, cut with knife, light candles etc. There are two I can't work out. One has picture of a glass and a fork - perhaps not to put near glasses or fork tines. I think the other means do not stack but as all the numbers are different shapes you couldn't anyway.

Good news re your son, ltc and the cheesecake KC2!

Postby smitch » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:02 pm

I use my fitbit as a watch and it needs charging about once a week. I got it to monitor my heart rate- until I got my B12 levels under control I had tachycardia. Now it is in the normal range but as I'm not on beta blockers for migraine I need to check it doesn't get too slow :roll:

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:32 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:There are two I can't work out. One has picture of a glass and a fork - perhaps not to put near glasses or fork tines. I think the other means do not stack but as all the numbers are different shapes you couldn't anyway.

The glass and fork together is the international symbol for “safe in contact with food and drink”

Usually found on things like Tupperware

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox