Register

Wild about Chatter

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:49 am

I think outer London (the suburbs, the bits just inside the M25) + inner London (the central conurbation) = Greater London

I haven’t been outside inner London since March 12th, and when I do go it will be by train

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:51 am

Good morning everyone,
Sorry to read that your OH is so unwell PP :newhuggy
Good luck with that contraption suffs, I think I'd be better sticking to a traditional kids potty than trying to co-ordinate myself to aim into that. Hopefully you'll not need it but always good to have a back up!
Damp and grey here this morning though mild. I'm off for lunch with a friend I've not seen since the end of January. It will be lovely to have a proper catch up with them.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Morning all, what a chatty lot you are today! See what I can remember :lol:
Uschi, that's great news :thumbsup

Hope OH had a reasonable night, PP.

Suffs ... :o hmm not sure about it but I guess useful in a dire emergency ...

Sue, I think you're right about the inner, outer and greater London, doesn't the North Circular/South Circular also create some sort of a delineation?

EM, you've reminded me, both OH and I got a text about booking flu jabs - as we're not going out anywhere it's not been at the front of my mind! We got a very long rambling text about how exactly how we had to queue up outside and use an entrance that is normally staff only and requesting that we don't arrive early.

Fun day out, zosh! I grew up with a grandfather clock striking every quarter of an hour and missed it when I wasn't at home!

Glad that you had a good time at your neighbours' Herbi.

Moira, the limes sound stunnning!

Have a good day, everyone :D

Postby ChinchillaLady » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:38 pm

Uschi wrote:Give it a dry run at home,.

Surely that should be a wet run :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:55 pm

Please observe the steam coming out of my ears

I booked a regular boiler service, I made it very, very, clear when I booked it that I lived on a red Route and parking was difficult, the manager said the engineer would be fine with it, he knew the area really well.

But he doesn't know the area well, and he's not fine with it, so he has left without doing the service

:thumbsdown :twisted: :twisted: :roll:

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:01 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:EM, you've reminded me, both OH and I got a text about booking flu jabs - as we're not going out anywhere it's not been at the front of my mind! We got a very long rambling text about how exactly how we had to queue up outside and use an entrance that is normally staff only and requesting that we don't arrive early.

Gosh, that's a lot of text just for a reminder! I was in our very small local branch of Boots some weeks ago when I heard the lady in front of me booking hers. They were starting them last week I think. I've read so much about the importance this year and usually leave it late so booked there and then. It's a tiny shop, I can't imagine where they'll do it.

Perhaps you should just adopt a European stance Suffs. We once witnessed a French car parked bang in the middle of the carriageway on a bend on the busy A46 road which leads from Bath to the M4. The whole family was busy attending to the call of nature in a very open field nearby.

Oh Sue .... :evil:. Not a red route obviously but I live in an area of restricted parking and people never listen to instructions after asking for them. How infuriating.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:18 pm

I am with Sue re the contraption, but I have a thing in my car for dire emergencies. I'd be tempted to take a skirt as well just in case if I really thought I might have to use it. I am pretty good at going out for most of the day without going to the loo, if I avoid coffee before I leave, and avoid drinking much while I am out and about. I have been able to go in pubs when we've eaten, though, the last few times. If everything were covered in virus it would be very hard to remain uncontaminated, but it's probably not, and my hands brushing my skirt etc. after shutting the cubicle door does not worry me enough to get the hand sanitizer bottle out of my bag (with contaminated hands. There are alternatives but it gets fiddly.)

It does seem funny though (from a general hygiene point of view) when loos have remote flushes, but then you have to open the door...

re socializing, my natural inclination is to self-isolate. This becomes even more pronounced when I am going through a depressive period. We often feel most inclined to do what's least good for us. However I have my limits and I become exhausted by social interaction before most people do, I suspect. And then I start analyzing my 'performance'. I try not to. I was not on top form last night, but it was ok. They are very chatty people.
We were indoors, but weren't sitting close to one another. Hopefully that will be ok. She is cycling into her office, but they sound like they sound more covid safe than the proposals for my office. (Basically, only every other desk can be occupied at any one time work. And they paid someone a lot of money to come up with this plan... And my manager says that it's alright for one person, who wants to go in once a week, to go in when here friends are there even though she sits next to them?!?)

I managed to get two things ‘off’ yesterday, and another just now. They will come back with comments and more work to be done, but for now, I can tick things off. I need to write the story of Melusine this afternoon. I can’t let rip with it, so will be less fun than could be.
I also need to do some housework and cooking… sigh. Not enough time or energy. But there are things that need eating (can’t waste home grown things.) and we need to get the house cat sitter ready for a preholiday meeting tomorrow. So also need to put a lock on the outside of my bedroom, ideally…

This is finally fruiting, after all the other aubergines are finished. So pretty (even when nibbled):

50348491921_159971494c_c.jpg
50348491921_159971494c_c.jpg (256.5 KiB) Viewed 153 times

Oh and my Covid study test arrived.

Has anyone who's in their 50s (is anyone else here?) been offered a free flu jab as was suggested we would be in the news? I had to pay when I booked one with Boots. OH is not, presumably because of asthma. I don't mind. I just hope they are able to do it non-painfully at my local out in the styx (but within the M25
;) ) Boots. A friend said they just jabbed it in her last year when she had it done in town.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:23 pm

I’m sure I read somewhere that girls could use some sort of container containing non-clumping white cat litter if they were caught short in the car! :shock:

Quite a few calls to and from NPH. The first one really made me laugh. The hospital have many Covid packs of toiletries that have been assembled by local Brownies. Because Irish nurse Fiona thinks my husband is a very jolly man she took a photo of him with his pack for the Hospital news site and to send to the Brownies :lol: :lol: :lol:
The fact that he has two black eyes appears to be neither here nor there. :o :lol:

She phoned again this morning to say they’d had to give him more blood in the night but that he was being transferred to one of the geriatric wards. Rebecca is going up in a minute to deliver PJs etc. Thanks again all.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:45 pm

On the whole, that sounds positive PP, at least the nurses think he's OK - he is usually photogenic after all, though I don't suppose the black eyes help
He may feel more "at home" on the geriatric ward

Just tried to buy a book of parking vouchers via the council website, for future maintenance calls, Apparently the parking account attached to my email has been disabled, Which is odd, as I have not previously had a parking account. The website kindly tells you the price of a book of vouchers (£10 for me) but not what a book contains, which is handy.

Another complaint email fired off - mover over Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells, make way for Snitty of Stokey! :D

Postby Uschi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:27 pm

ChinchillaLady wrote:
Uschi wrote:Give it a dry run at home,.

Surely that should be a wet run :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought dry, just to see how the fit is and how wrestling with clothes turns out. But as Suffolk is low maintenance clotheswise it is not necessary.

Postby Uschi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:34 pm

PP, at least they are looking out for him, that is something.

Axel is home again. He pushed past me, to get to the loo, poor thing, but that is a good sign really.

Cat litter ... I can easily pass a liter of water ... how much litter would I need??? Typical Sagitarius, slightly horsy ...

Postby Seatallan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:37 pm

[quote="herbidacious"]

Has anyone who's in their 50s (is anyone else here?) been offered a free flu jab as was suggested we would be in the news?/quote]

Herbi, from what I understand, there's a plan to extend the free jab to people 50+ later in the autumn. I think November has been posited. I'm in two minds as to whether to wait in the hope of a freebie or get it done earlier and pay. I'll probably do the latter.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby nursemimi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:54 pm

Morning all :wave:
My you have been a chatty lot while I have been at work.

PP sounds like OH is doing better.
Uschi so glad Axel is home and well and my face is almost completely healed.
:thumbsup
Suffs that is an interesting idea!

I will get my flu shot at work they are mandatory for my job. Hubby will get his at our local
pharmacy.

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:10 pm

Cyprus potatoes are my favourite - just bought some from Booth's.

Lime trees - I got a finger (or caviar) lime about 2 years ago and had decided that it wasn't going to do anything but I noticed the other day that it's got 3 reasonably sized fruit at the back of it and it's also suddenly broken out in flower, with a few of them looking promising.

I've taken a friend to hospital for some tests this morning (both suitably masked) and I realised that I hadn't seen anyone face-to-face socially for months. It was wonderful to catch up but did highlight just how much I'm missing social interaction. That's strange, though, because I'm not a naturally sociable person and, like Herbi, quickly become exhausted by it.

Uschi - glad Axel's back home - you can both concentrate on your recoveries together now, without having to worry how the other is doing.

PP - news on you OH sounds more encouraging today, thank goodness.

Postby Suffs » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:11 pm

Welcome home Axel :woohoo: :mug: :wave:
That should aid your recovery Uschi :thumbsup

Glad OH seems relatively comfortable Pp :newhuggy

I've had another busy morning ... I've made a batch of falafels for supper along with a huge bowlfull of coleslaw* and a large wodge of pastry is 'resting' in the fridge ready to make the pasties tomorrow. I've also taken receipt of and tried on four new vest type tops/tee shirts from M&S ... this winter I will mainly be wearing layers 8-)

The kitchen is clean and tidy again and I've had some lunch

*Fact of the Day: It is an impirical fact that it is impossible to make a small quantity of coleslaw ... no matter how small the wedge of cabbage or how small the carrot, celery and onion the resulting slaw always fills the largest bowl in the house :shock: :?

Postby Gruney2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:59 pm

Suffs' travelling issue has got me thinking - early Saturday morning, I'll be setting off for a very long drive to Scrabster, to catch the ferry for Orkney. I'll be ok, and so will the dog - but my daughter?

Postby smitch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:19 pm

Afternoon all!

Feeling really fed up of work now, just had a cry. So glad my OH is also working from home so I could go have a good moan.

I just booked my flu jab at my local(ish) pharmacy. The one I collect my prescriptions from doesn't do them. Last year I had a text from my GP well after I'd paid to say I was eligible for a free one, not sure why as when I checked on the NHS website I didn't qualify. I had intended to ask them about it but forgot :roll: To be honest, I'd rather just pay the £12.99.

Hope your husband continues to improve, PP. Glad Axel is home, Uschi.

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:37 pm

:newhuggy Smitch. At least you'll be rid of work in the not too distant future - nil illegitemi carborundum!

Postby mistakened » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:40 pm

Suffs wrote:*Fact of the Day: It is an impirical fact that it is impossible to make a small quantity of coleslaw ... no matter how small the wedge of cabbage or how small the carrot, celery and onion the resulting slaw always fills the largest bowl in the house
Greek salad has the same properties :roll:
Pampy wrote:Lime trees - I got a finger (or caviar) lime about 2 years ago
I wonder if one of those fruit will turn up in Cyprus? We have the right climate
Glad to read that Axel is safely home, Uschi
PP: is your OH safely settled in his new ward yet?

Moira

Postby Suffs » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:45 pm

Well folks ... I've given it a try out ... remarkably straightforward, leakproof and small enough for a small back pack or larger handbag. Sorted :thumbsup

I'm having my 'flu jab tomorrow at noon ... I booked it online with Boots a few weeks ago.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox