Register

Wild about Chatter

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter

Postby Amyw » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:09 pm

Lots of love PP, such a scary time anytime , but especially under these circumstances .

Herbi , I hope you’re ok . You seem quite anxious recently , shame your birthday sounded like it went a bit flat . If you feel unrealistic expectations are being placed on you at work , then you need to mention to your boss . From my own experience, the pressure continues to snowball , unless you put a halt to it .

A bottle of wine is a perfectly acceptable gift . Your neighbours won’t think you’ve settled in for an all night session if you come bearing one bottle

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:29 pm

Oh dear, PP, so sorry to hear that :( As Moira says, do take care of yourself.

Herbi, yes, I'm sure wine would be fine. Have you thought about flowers? If you have to go out to a shop and haven't been yet ...

Postby Busybee » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:50 pm

PP :newhuggy :newhuggy I do hope that you get some more positive news soon.

How is your son today?

Look after yourself.

BB

Postby Seatallan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:56 pm

Herbi, I think a bottle of wine would be a most acceptable gift. KC2's suggestion of flowers (or a potted plant perhaps if you/Mr Herbi is going to the supermarket?) would also be perfectly appropriate. :newhuggy
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby miss mouse » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:03 pm

Oh dear. Very sorry to read about all this PP. it seems to be your week for being dumped on by whoever orders the universe.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:05 pm

What a chatty lot you've been this morning!

Firstly, I am so pleased that Axel's results were good, Uschi. Now I hope you'll soon be able to recuperate together. :newhuggy.

PP. The hospital sounds nice, it must be some relief. I believe that the DNR discussion is quite routine, I have been involved in such several times now. I'm so pleased that your OH knew who you were, I hope he holds up well during his stay. It must be so disorienting. I hope you will be able to have a little you time too knowing he is being well cared for, despite all the other things going on in your family. :newhuggy.

ltc - I haven't had a chance to look at the JO book yet! I'm nearly as busy this week as I used to be pre-lockdown (doing what, I'm not sure!). The sausage cups sound delicious.

Moira, that sounds like the best shopping trip! Tidy toes too! Mine were finally done yesterday, the verdict is still out on the chiropodist but she did a neat job.

Herbi - I hope that the new cake is lovely. Remember to take 5 minutes to breathe every hour. I think you'd have to weigh up the cost of wine or flowers depending on what the shop you go to has. It'll be fun to snoop round someone else's kitchen though! :lol:.

The walk went well. Opinion is divided over what's allowed number wise. An 'organised outdoor activity' can have more than 6. I read it as being organised by a licenced activity group with a risk assessment which can be referred to. Others, who lead walks for smaller groups, read it as including them because it is exercise. I think that when groups of reasonably intelligent people all take the same words to mean something different there may be a communication problem! Most of the time we were in two groups anyway.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:31 pm

Busybee wrote:PP :newhuggy :newhuggy I do hope that you get some more positive news soon.

How is your son today?

Look after yourself.

BB

His Covid result was negative, so that’s one less thing to worry about.

Thanks again all.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:15 pm

Well that's something, PP.

Postby mistakened » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:30 pm

I forgot to mention earlier, Elaine, she does my pedicure tells me that the local police were checking various premises anti Covid precautions, not that she has anything to worry about. The police did not get as far as her shop, being Cypriot they probably stopped somewhere for coffee.

Moira

Postby herbidacious » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:02 pm

That's quite reassuring, isn't it?

I can't imagine that ever happening where I am, for both logistical and financial reasons...
Last edited by herbidacious on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Thanks for the update PP, hope all proceeds as well as possible

Herbi, if they drink wine it’s always an acceptable gift, just make it clear it’s to “baptise” the new kitchen Whenever they like and not to make the evening riotous
It will surely be interesting to see what they have done?

@scullion - I’m not sure that either the London jams are much worse than they were pre-Covid or that those there are (for example the bus conga currently on Tottenham CourtRoad) are due to more people taking to cars and abandoning public transport. My personal experience is that jams are very local and mainly caused by “poaching” traffic lanes to make pavements wider to enable distancing (a waste of space in most cases, the tarmac is just standing empty) and because all the gas, water and road excavations planned for 2020 have all started at once instead of being phased Bus journeys are still quicker than time tabled and the A10, main road into the City is very quiet

Just had a very nice lunch at Pierre Victoire in Soho. May snooze a bit

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:39 pm

Number 2 daughter phoned NPH. Apparently OH is responding really well to treatment.

I have booked a carpet cleaner who said blood is easy to get out of carpets (obviously knows a few serial killers) and a plumber because we are definitely getting drips through the kitchen ceiling which is what precipitated all of this.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 pm

That's good on both fronts, PP.

re traffic, it's really hard to tell if it's much worse - especially given how awful it can be anyway. (An hour to get to London Bridge station by bus from Holborn Viaduct is not unusual at 5.30pm. You could walk it in much less.)

It feels maybe a tad less busy in rush hour but busier when it's normally very quiet.

I imagine very many people who don't want to use transport aren't going into central London at all or going by bike if they can? It's incredibly expensive to park in town for a whole day and there is also the congestion charge, and a higher proportion of Londoners, compared to elsewhere, simply don't have a car. That said, we have toyed with the idea of going into the City on a Sunday (for me to take photos).

I would say on our forays out more locally, it has been busy at times when I would not normally have expected it to be. (I haven't been into town but SE London gets amazingly congested in normal times.)

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:58 pm

It’s not just the Congestion Charge Herbi. If you were persuaded to buy a diesel just before they were suddenly out of fashion then you get clobbered with the Emissions Charge as well.

Mrs Gullible.

Postby Uschi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:05 pm

PP, I hope that the small things like carpet and kitchen, at least, will be sorted soon!
As for OH, fingers and toes crossed for him!!!

Postby dennispc » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:12 pm

My thoughts are with all those going through a tough time at the moment. I’ve been catching up with a few pages, and realise I’ve missed quite a lot.

Big hugs all round from ol wet eyes here, and I’ll repeat what was said to me a few times as an occasional carer, look after yourselves.

We had the DNR talk with the hospital last year, normal practice. What surprised us was the low success rate for survival and, more importantly, those who do get through it may have further complications as a result. On the other hand, ambulance service has success with resuscitation.

It’s now on our medical records with the GP.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:41 pm

Glad that the carpet can be easily dealt with PP.

Sue, your lunch sounds quite decadent to those of us stuck in the Provinces for the foreseeable future!

Has anyone seen Sakkarin? He's been very quiet. Hope he's ok.

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:50 pm

PP, you've been through the mill a bit! Hope hubby is ok. Good news about your son.
Take care, hope things calm down for you soon.

Herbi, sorry your birthday was disappointing. They really are a bit crap at the moment anyway, even if loved ones try to make them special.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:02 pm

slimpersoninside, it was more the news about uncle in law that made it muted. I don't really have expectations for birthdays. I don't enjoy them. Awful news aside, it wasn't bad at all. I had seom very nie presents from husband and we had cake!

Only just got back from the 'glass of wine and a chat'. I think that was just what we needed. And I think/hope everyone had a nice evening. I have to say their kitchen and extension is stunning.

Postby Uschi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:30 am

I am glad you enjoyed your outing, Herbidacious. I found that during lockdown and afterwards contact with others was so important.
We were careful to meet outside, if possible, and keep a distance, but it was still wonderful. Just sitting around, chatting, sharing meals and allowing one's soul to relax.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox