Register

Wild about Chatter

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Wild about Chatter

Postby Suffs » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:18 am

Here it is ... a place for nattering and chattering ...

Good morning all :D :mug:

I do wish the sensible intelligent silent majority (and I’m including myself here) didn’t keep falling back into the British stereotype of ignoring idiots ... it really wouldn’t take much to totally expose their stupidity for what it is ... but no, we keep quiet and ignore them rather than debate it ... and then they think we don’t have an answer. Why do we always take the easy way out and ‘avert our eyes‘ and fail to engage our brains? We should tell these people they’re complete loons.

I’ve been a bit slack about doing my exercises this week ... and I paid for it last night ... I just couldn’t get comfy in bed ... but the pain is in a new place ... more in/under my shoulder blade than in my shoulder ... so maybe that’s progress ...

Re: Wild about Chatter

Postby halfateabag » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:55 am

It was quite interesting on the continent about the wearing of face masks and gloves. Most of the petrol stations en route, would not let you in without a mask. The ferry from Rhodes 85% of people wore masks. When we saw the lawyer in Rhodes we had to wear both gloves and masks. Only a few Greeks we spoke to felt that CV had been made up by 'them', we never found out who they meant by them....?

The growth in my garden whilst away has been phenomenal ! The giant mange tout are HUGE! Some escaped and will be next years seeds but had some for supper last night with the wholemeal fungi ravioli and they were so sweet and very lush. The courgettes are just about to fruit. Our trusty garden helper has cut the grass whilst we have been away and our lovely neighbours have watered for the world, all my flower baskets look amazing. We will have oodles of tomatoes before long.
Last edited by halfateabag on Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:56 am

I just wrote a long post on the other thread... :( It bounced and was irretrievable. Can't be bothered to rewrite and it was a bit downbeat. I need to get on with some work...

Summary:
tomato blight (thanks for the diagnosis on GWF, Suffs) Very upset and fed up.Even the blight resistant ones aer showing signs. I been eating some tomatoes for a month now, but the big harvest is just over the horizon, so this is very upsetting. I guess I will have some of them, but in terms of labour and compost, these will be the most costil tomatoes in the world. Not worth it. Tomato plant and mildewy courgette plant disposal later. (Any suggestions re what to use to disinfect mildewy pots which I want to reuse straight away?)
Basil's op tomorrow. Very worried and stressed about it.
EM you can unfollow people on FB who are annoying without unfreindiny theme and without them knowing.

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:06 am

Good morning

I get, as you can imagine very tired with the vaccine and virus deniers. One acquaintance repeatedly posts on FB that viruses don’t exist and therefore can’t cause disease, and that nobody has ever isolated and purified a virus, prove that they had. So I found a really good review article of standard methods of purifying viruses which indicated that this has been routine since 1962. Oh no, he wanted an article “proving” the purification of one virus (plenty of example in the references of the review article of course).

Then he said that the German High Court had ruled that measles virus didn’t exist. Of course they haven’t, guy called Lanka bet nobody could prove measles virus existed and had been purified. Dr Bardens assembled all the evidence, claimed the cash, in 2011 court ruled virus proved and Lanka should pay up. Lanka appealed and in 2016 court ruled that the evidence was good but the specific conditions of the wager not fully met so no pay out

And that’s the skill of the weasels like Lanka, it’s not enough to demonstrate something according to the strictest standards of scientific evidence, you also have to solve the riddle of the Sphinx, and always in a single paper never in a body of evidence, and the followers learn the technique.

I don’t see the motivation, 80 dead of measles in Samoa and they just brush it aside

Postby Gruney2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:08 am

Two quotes which I always remember:-

"Against stupidity, even the gods, themselves fight in vain." Schiller.

"Never argue with a fool - he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain.

Suffs wrote:I do wish the sensible intelligent silent majority (and I’m including myself here) didn’t keep falling back into the British stereotype of ignoring idiots ... it really wouldn’t take much to totally expose their stupidity for what it is ... but no, we keep quiet and ignore them rather than debate it ... and then they think we don’t have an answer. Why do we always take the easy way out and ‘avert our eyes‘ and fail to engage our brains? We should tell these people they’re complete loons.

Postby Suffs » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:31 am

Get you your point Gruney et al re ‘arguing with a fool’ .... maybe I fell into my own trap there ... giving them too much respect ... maybe what I meant to say (if I’d had the courage of my own convictions) is that we should just tell them they’re complete idiots and leave it at that ... what I don’t think we should do is to stay silent in the face of their inane and dangerous fantasies.

Postby smitch » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:37 am

I have challenged people recently over their racism and the BLM movement. Generally I don't engage but I just couldn't stay quiet. They'll never reflect or change their behaviour but my conscience wouldn't allow me to leave racism unchallenged. It can be exhausting though so I understand why people choose not to.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:41 am

With our particular fool we’ve been there before. She’s an educated woman and a recently retired NHS psychotherapist. She’s one of those people who is never wrong - as I say, not a friend but a person I meet at the pool who likes to join us for coffee. Unfortunately if you get into a disagreement with her it ends up with you being accused of having an Anti-Semitic stance.

So maybe you see where I’m coming from in not challenging her? It’s a no win situation and don’t even get me started on the two occasions we went out for a group meal!

Postby Lokelani » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:42 am

Good morning all.

Lovely shiny new thread to post on. :)

I can't decide if there are just more idiots around than there used to be, or if they just receive more press time at the moment Perhaps they're harder to ignore as this time they're affecting all of our safety by ignoring the virus. Or maybe I'm just feeling older & wise! :lol:

Thoughts with you Herbi for Basil's op tomorrow.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:47 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Not a football in sight in this household ... just catching up with the latest on here while watching my dream travel companion - Michael Portillo ;) :thumbsup

from PepperPig

Well he wouldn’t be bothering you in the night . . . . .

and I wouldn't be bothering him ;) but I do love his train travels :thumbsup
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Suffs » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:00 am

Lokelani wrote: can't decide if there are just more idiots around than there used to be, or if they just receive more press time at the moment Perhaps they're harder to ignore as this time they're affecting all of our safety by ignoring the virus. Or maybe I'm just feeling older & wise!

Probably a combination of them all ... plus all the idiots getting their views validated by other idiots on t'internet sites catering especially for inane idiocy.

Life is quite exciting here just lately ... the house on the corner is having an extension built ... as well as seeing barechested young men wearing sun hats :? we get to watch the lorry that comes once a week to empty the Portaloo opposite our window ... and on Monday I noticed that the Bin Lorry Driver doubled back on his round and reappeared here an hour after he'd emptied our bins in order to avail himself of the Portaloo facilities ... I'm pretty sure that if the neighbour knew she'd be out there telling him sharply that she isn't paying for a Portaloo for him to use ... she's quite 'territorial'. :roll: :lol:

Postby mistakened » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:03 am

I was checking through various local taverna/ restaurant sites to see if any of them had posted up a menu. I checked Kyrenia Beach, it is at the other end of Melanda Beach. I was appalled to see a group of British women, most of whom I know personally or by sight, sitting on the deck at KB playing Mah Jong in March. :o Then I realised that it was March 2019 :oops:

Moira

Postby smitch » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:06 am

I think a lot of the views that are being aired at the moment were held in private but for various reasons people feel emboldened to share them and that it is acceptable to do so. Without getting political, the rise of populism, an openly racist PM and US president along with Brexit and the echo chambers that people often find themselves in on social media are enabling this type of behaviour.

PP, I totally understand your position, sometimes it just isn't possible to say anything. I find it difficult to challenge a close family member about their views :(

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:17 am

smitch wrote:PP, I totally understand your position, sometimes it just isn't possible to say anything. I find it difficult to challenge a close family member about their views

Exactly
I answered my adversary because he was posting disinformation on a public forum and I think it’s important to clearly identify it as such
It’s water off a duck’s back to him, he doesn’t even understand why I get annoyed when he rubbishes what I did professionally for over 40 years :?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:29 am

Stokey Sue wrote:
smitch wrote:PP, I totally understand your position, sometimes it just isn't possible to say anything. I find it difficult to challenge a close family member about their views

Exactly
I answered my adversary because he was posting disinformation on a public forum and I think it’s important to clearly identify it as such
It’s water off a duck’s back to him, he doesn’t even understand why I get annoyed when he rubbishes what I did professionally for over 40 years :?

That must be very frustrating for you both :shock: :evil:

Postby Uschi » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:38 am

Guten Morgen,
idiots won't die out, despite Darwin awards being won every day.
As for racism ... in my experience the a***hole quota is pretty much the same in every group of humanity.
Sorry for the Teutonic swear word, but it fits somehow.

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Uschi » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:44 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Then he said that the German High Court had ruled that measles virus didn’t exist. Of course they haven’t, guy called Lanka bet nobody could prove measles virus existed and had been purified. Dr Bardens assembled all the evidence, claimed the cash, in 2011 court ruled virus proved and Lanka should pay up. Lanka appealed and in 2016 court ruled that the evidence was good but the specific conditions of the wager not fully met so no pay out

And that’s the skill of the weasels like Lanka, it’s not enough to demonstrate something according to the strictest standards of scientific evidence, you also have to solve the riddle of the Sphinx, and always in a single paper never in a body of evidence, and the followers learn the technique.

I don’t see the motivation, 80 dead of measles in Samoa and they just brush it aside

If the measles virus does not exist, then what killed my infant aunt and crippled her toddler brother? What gave me a raging fever (the real thing, not just a high temperature), headaches and misery for days on end? I guess it was just my imagination then ... silly me.
Mind you, Axel's DiL is of the same ilk. And she works in a pharmacy.

Postby liketocook » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:54 am

Good morning everyone,
Aw herbi, blight how frustrating :newhuggy a good scrub and then a soak in Jeyes fluid should kill off any nasties in the pots. :newhuggy
I tend to one of the "silent majority" especially on social media and quietly unfollow /unfriend those who post views I disagree strongly on. I feel a challenge is pointless. I will speak up in face to face conversation if it's some one I know well.
Back to rain here today. A friend is coming over for a very overdue cuppa and catch up. We had hoped to sit in the garden but at least meeting indoors is allowed now. Does mean I'd better dust though and check the place is tidy. :D

Postby Seatallan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:13 pm

I was proud of Mr S yesterday, for he reported someone who'd written a great screed of conspiracy theory nonesense in the comment section on one of the BBC stories about the development of a Covid vaccine. The mods did indeed pull the comment as well they might. The trouble, of course, with conspiracy theorists is that it makes no difference how you respond- you/the evidence you present is all a part of the conspiracy. What never fails to astound me is how many apparently normal people subscribe to such things. I can understand it in the case of people with 'issues' but the mind boggles as to how anyone allegedly sensible can belive in some of the rubbish that gets circulated on social media. Makes me both angry and depressed.

On a more positive note, how lovely to write my first 'Wild about Chatter' post! Hope you're all having a happy morning. :wave
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby dennispc » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:17 pm

smitch wrote:PP, I totally understand your position, sometimes it just isn't possible to say anything. I find it difficult to challenge a close family member about their views :(

I feel for you both as well as myself, especially when it's someone who has greater influence over grandchildren than I do.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox