Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:46 am

Who makes their own falafel? Another travel feature. https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021 ... hef-tahini

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:46 am

No, I don't deep fry at home but yet again covet a deep fat fryer.

I rather fancy a trip to Borough Market and the stand which I hope will still do a similar offering to this in the New World when it comes. I am very partial to this sort of food.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:51 pm

Love falafel, and I like Itamar, I’ve heard him speak at events

I notice his recipe doesn’t put any herbs into the patties, which I’m used to, but nice clear instructions

There have been regular falafel stands in all 3 major markets round here - Islington, Dalston, and Broadway (London Fields) for a couple of years now very good, the Dalston one might have the edge by using gorgeous bread from Ararat bakery

Might have a go at some, I use a small portion scoop to make them

Postby Renee » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:15 pm

Thank you for the very interesting article. Yes, I have made falafels in the past and this has reminded me to start making them again. I have always used dried and soaked chickpeas, but this recipe is different to the one that I used, so I look forward to making them again.

Postby scullion » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:36 pm

yes, i make them quite often to madhur jaffrey's recipe. they have a good amount of fresh parsley in plus a few other ingredients. really good recipe (i can photo and post a pic of the recipe if wanted).
i also use falafel tools for shaping - saves washing loads of the mix down the drain trying to keep your hands clean between shaping and frying batches.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:50 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:No, I don't deep fry at home

Neither do we, EM, I always have to check a recipe before I get too excited by it!

Earthmaiden wrote:but yet again covet a deep fat fryer

I can't say that's anything I've ever wanted, unlike other kitchen equipment :D

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:53 pm

I always make my own falafel, because when I look at the difference in price between a bought one, and a home-made one, it´s incredible.My "recipe" ( I don´t really use one any more) includes all the ingredients from the Grauniad, although I parsley in mine as well. I make a whole load of them and freeze them.
And there´s nothing to beat deep-fried: I don´t care what the millenials say about air-fryers. :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:32 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:I can't say that's anything I've ever wanted, unlike other kitchen equipment :D

I'm not sure I'd love it so much if I had to clean it every so often and most things they produce my figure and arteries can do without. The ease with which you see people cook lovely things with them does attract me though!

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:56 pm

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:26 pm

swallowed chewing gum sticks your intestines together.

I'm afraid you were misinformed there miss mouse.
Everyone knows swallowed chewing gum gets wrapped round your ribs and keeps you warm.

Postby miss mouse » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:57 am

WWordsworth wrote:I'm afraid you were misinformed there miss mouse.
Everyone knows swallowed chewing gum gets wrapped round your ribs and keeps you warm.

Aha, I have always had my suspicions..

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:26 pm

A round up of deep fat frying recipes.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... id-churros

Not sure how many of these would work in an Air Fryer but that has to be the way forward both health and safety wise. I once came back from a concert at the Bushey Festival years ago, I expect Mrs Aero was singing, to find that the house opposite had all but burnt down due to a chip pan fire. I threw our chip pan the next day and have never regretted it.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:36 pm

I had a look at the recipes, Pepper, and although I haven´t got an air fryer, I doubt any of them would work, with the exception of the courgette flowers, which are usually done in a frying pan. Anything with batter needs to hit the hot fat and crisp up immediately, which I understand does not work in an air fryer. (Please correct me if I´m wrong!).I imagine that samosas, turnovers, anything wrapped in pastry, deep-frozen chips, breaded scampi, maybe, etc. would be fine, but anything that´s "wet" on the outside, no.
Fear of deep-fat frying is, I believe, unfounded. The reasons for accidents are (as far as I know) 1) filling the pan with too much oil; 2) Failing to monitor the temperature; 3) Dumping a whole load of stuff in the oil at the same time and 4) not watching.
Too much oil is question of displacement. Once you fill the fryer with chips, or samosas, or whatever, there´s no room for the oil and it floods over the edge on to the gas.
If the oil is allowed to overheat, the cold food and the hot oil will cause a severe thermal interchange ( is that the right expression??) - the oil will bubble over the edge.
If you put all the food in the fryer at the same time; again, cold vs heat. Overflow.
And if you leave the oil cooking without watching it, there´s no way you can prevent an accident, if it occurs.

Postby jeral » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:01 pm

Deep frying is costly to me as I don't like the taste, or worse the pervasive smell, of cheap oils and I'm always staggered by how much oil has gone from the pan after just a few bits, no doubt mostly onto kitchen paper but still. So, it's a twice-yearly only event here.

Nevertheless, thanks Pepper Pig, I will log into brain Rachel Roddy's parmesan batter for cauli:
"To make the batter, beat 100ml lukewarm water, six tablespoons of plain flour, the same of grated parmesan and an egg, until it looks like thick cream." Intrigued to try it as I have some V parmesan in the fridge.

Also Paul Brown's version of onion rings marinated in malt vinegar. I've not heard of the belt & braces combo of flour/seasoned batter/crumb, the batter possibly being used as his version of a successful egg replacer 8-) . Great stuff as presumably it works.

Postby Renee » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:28 pm

Scullion, I'd love to see a picture of your falafels and the recipe please.

Postby scullion » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:06 am

sorry, i don't have a photo of ones i've made (i rarely photo stuff i've made) but here's a scan of madhur's recipe (from 'eastern vegetarian cookery') - it's the one i (and both my kids) make.

falafel.jpg
falafel.jpg (249.71 KiB) Viewed 2975 times

there is the odd occasion when they seem to fall apart during frying - so i then add a small handful of gram flour into the mix, which cures it.
Last edited by scullion on Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:07 am

Someone has come up with a "twist" on pasta carbonara

Don't tell Rachel Roddy - and I'd say don't try this at home :lol:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/102 ... &smtyp=cur

It's the tomato paste that gets me - and the vast amount of pasta water used

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:52 am

Firewall on the NYT, Sue.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:05 pm

It’s not paywalled from the UK karadekoolaid - I don’t have a subscription and the link is being passed around over here

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:11 pm

I can't get in without subscribing and I have had difficulty with their paywall in the past. The recipe sounds interesting anyway!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox