Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:24 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:Yes, the pieces are just like the jellied ones. I can understand why some people would object to the bones, it never occurred to me that the skin might be a problem.

Their liquor turns to jelly when cold just like a good HM chicken stock does. The meat is very tender and from my point of view the bones are very easily extracted ..

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:17 pm

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:21 pm

Postby mistakened » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:31 am

There was an excellent review in the Telegraph of Shelina Permaloo's restaurant, Lakaz Maman, in Southampton. It is based on Mauritian food. Shelina was a Masterchef winner a couple of years ago

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:58 pm

Yes I saw that and really fancied it.

Anyone into cooking with honey?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... anna-cotta

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:29 pm

I am more likely to use honey in the way it is used in Ottolenghi’s dish than in sweet dishes. I do sometimes have a little drizzle on breakfast fruit, yogurt and oats. I love it with spices over tray baked roasted squash and that kind of thing.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:58 pm

Heston has launched a new sandwich. I don't like the idea of baked bean flavoured bread.

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/fo ... 28476.html

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:25 pm

I don't mind the sound of the bread. The coffee relish sounds a step too far though. I don't usually have my coffee on the same plate as breakfast. If he's developed it and it's been approved it's probably alright. Nearly four quid for a takeaway sandwich when we're hitting a recession is a bit tasteless though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:37 pm

Coffee is used in bacon jam and in “red eye gravy” and actually works pretty well with bacon - you don’t really taste it as coffee, it just intensifies the flavour of crispy bacon

I like honey up to a point, most of those recipes don’t appeal. Just don’t follow James Martin and brush it onto confit duck.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:52 pm

Cooking like granny.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/a ... ious-meals

I don't remember Nana on my mum's side cooking anything other than Rice Cremola but my dad's mum made three things that still have a place in my heart: Coconut pyramid cakes, fresh lemonade, and Maids-of-honour tarts. She also made lovely mince.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:53 pm

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:17 pm

Not sure I quite go for the idea of tomato and pineapple ...

Postby scullion » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:27 pm

she noticed the art of making pasta was not being learned by younger generations

my daughter's italian flatmates (in spain) were astounded when she told them that we had made pasta from scratch - they had never made it.

i always remember my grandmother's bread pudding (really good) and little bacon and egg tarts she made for us when we walked, with our great aunt, to visit her on a sunday. it never occurred to me, then, what my parents might have been doing before they came to pick us up a couple of hours later...

Postby herbidacious » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:50 pm

My grandma (father's mother) made a very good custard tart. 'Vanilla slices' were good too. I have her recipe somewhere (I hope), along with hers for lemon curd. She was also very good at Yorkshire puddings.
I never met my other grandmother. I used to have her recipe for spicey currant buns ('fairy cakes', as they seem to call them now) but I fear it's lost.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:09 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:50 pm

Cookbook Club had a Zoom meeting with Sabrina yesterday
She was really nice and very interesting - tbh a little more intellectual background to the food than I expected, which of course appealed to me

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:07 pm

scullion wrote:i always remember my grandmother's bread pudding (really good) and little bacon and egg tarts she made for us when we walked, with our great aunt, to visit her on a sunday. it never occurred to me, then, what my parents might have been doing before they came to pick us up a couple of hours later...

My parents would always pack us off to Sunday school on a Sunday afternoon. And very insistent they were on it too even though they were both atheists! Scully, you've reminded me that granny used to make a delicious egg and bacon pie too. Grandpa was a Primary School Headmaster and when the school was used as a Polling Station he would always take one of her pies to his office to keep him going through out the day. :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:15 pm

Jay Rayner has reviewed Lahpet , a Burmese restaurant in Shoreditch, which I've been keen to go to for some time so if anyone fancies a different meal let me know
Also mentions MiMi Aye and her book Mandalay
I like Burmese food

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/a ... rmese-food

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:47 pm

I'm always up for a meal out, especially with like minded friends ;) :thumbsup The only obstacle for me would be the extended travel on public transport - so far I have been able to keep that to a minimum.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:25 pm

I'm not travelling like that at the moment either but it looks wonderful. I think I remember us talking about the book (Mandalay) last year. Did anyone buy or borrow a copy and make anything from it?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox