Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby jeral » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:05 pm

Pampy wrote:My concern about CBD is that there haven't been any clinical tests done to see how it interacts with prescribed medication.

Jeral - what is it that you find "affected" about Raymond B's accent? The way he speaks on tv is exactly how he speaks in real life.

I don't know how "authorities" could check absolutely everything that's around (including zillions of Chinese herbal remedies seen on their shelves) against all common in-use medications. Perhaps by default if contra indications to CBD were cropping up with any discernible correlation they would have come to light by now?

It's academic to me as the cost is way beyond my budget in any form and is no doubt negligible by inclusion amount. The advertising of CBD does make me want to "buy in" as a "feel better" option, but not unless they start giving it away for a fiver.

As to Raymond Blanc's pronounced accent, it's clear that it's "his thing" like Gino. No doubt appropriate in his restaurant surroundings but for TV presenting? Even some of his earlier telecasts have included subtitles. No argument with his food, or him, just want to hear what he's saying which seems like arrogance when he knowingly makes it hard work to understand him, quite why escapes me as we really really already get it - he has French roots.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:23 pm

jeral wrote:
Pampy wrote:My concern about CBD is that there haven't been any clinical tests done to see how it interacts with prescribed medication.

Jeral - what is it that you find "affected" about Raymond B's accent? The way he speaks on tv is exactly how he speaks in real life.

I don't know how "authorities" could check absolutely everything that's around (including zillions of Chinese herbal remedies seen on their shelves) against all common in-use medications. Perhaps by default if contra indications to CBD were cropping up with any discernible correlation they would have come to light by now?

It's academic to me as the cost is way beyond my budget in any form and is no doubt negligible by inclusion amount. The advertising of CBD does make me want to "buy in" as a "feel better" option, but not unless they start giving it away for a fiver..

That's really not how it works - I agree with Pampy, it needs proper information on drug interactions, not just noting few reports of problems (it's not clear how people would report them) and crossing your fingers
My working rule (not specially scientific, just my gut feeling) is any "medicine" claimed to be good for more than 3 indications is useless for all of them, but may still cause damage

jeral wrote:As to Raymond Blanc's pronounced accent, it's clear that it's "his thing" like Gino. No doubt appropriate in his restaurant surroundings but for TV presenting? Even some of his earlier telecasts have included subtitles. No argument with his food, or him, just want to hear what he's saying which seems like arrogance when he knowingly makes it hard work to understand him, quite why escapes me as we really really already get it - he has French roots.

I really don't think he doing it deliberately or even voluntarily, that's just how some French people speak English, learning to speak fluently is one thing, getting rid of a heavy duty accent and some verbal tics is another, and a lot of people cannot do it - for example Arsene Wenger (former Arsenal manager) or my OH whose accent was so strong most English people assumed he wouldn't understand them (although 99% of the time he did)
I'm the same in the opposite direction - I used to be fairly fluent in French but the accent was terrible

Postby aero280 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:18 pm

Our two boys went to the local school. The head of French spoke the language with a very precise Oxford English received accent. It was so odd that the eldest came home in giggles after his first French lesson!! :) We had only had one foreign holiday with them at that time for him to get an idea of a French accent.

On the other hand, the German department had an assistant head who was a native German who was married to an Englishman and also got some help from a maths teacher who had lived in Germany and was married to a German lady.

Postby jeral » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:33 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:...[clip]...
That's really not how it works .......

With respect, surely that's how it (the system) does work for things like CBD or they wouldn't be permitted for sale until satisfactorily tested to whatever extent that might be. Which is unlikely to happen until something brings them to the top of an agenda for whatever reason though most probably anecdotal adverse incidence with or without coincidence with other medications.

It might not be how it (the system) ought to work, but such curatives are left for people to presume are safe in the recommended amount until evidentially proven and published otherwise so they're legally on sale provided no claims of unproven medical benefits are made, the lack of which itself suggests they're either ineffectual or inactive/neutral, or rely on mind over matter.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:13 pm

The point is that CBD bought over the counter is not a pharmaceutical with a full product licence, so that testing has not been done

The decision to allow CBD to be sold is essentially an acknowledgement that it doesn't seem to do anything at all, but I wouldn't have it in the house and I certainly wouldn't take it with prescribed medication, jus tin case soem active constituent has got into to it

The cannabinoid products prescribed by doctors are quite different and have been fully tested - some of them by teams that I was briefly a part of, it took years

The NHS does not recommend the use of over the counter CBD
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/medical-cannabis/

Postby jeral » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:25 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:The point is that CBD bought over the counter is not a pharmaceutical with a full product licence, so that testing has not been done

The decision to allow CBD to be sold is essentially an acknowledgement that it doesn't seem to do anything at all, but I wouldn't have it in the house and I certainly wouldn't take it with prescribed medication, jus tin case soem active constituent has got into to it

The cannabinoid products prescribed by doctors are quite different and have been fully tested - some of them by teams that I was briefly a part of, it took years

The NHS does not recommend the use of over the counter CBD
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/medical-cannabis/

That's the point I made actually, the NHS link even says about over-the-counter: "They tend to only contain very small amounts of CBD, so it's not clear what effect they would have." If it (CBD) was something to worry about it would have been withdrawn at least temporarily so, if it hasn't been, the authorities must think it not shown to be unsafe or is inconsequential - at least for now until evidence might arrive otherwise. So you and I are walking round the same circle I think.

I don't currently know anyone on "serious" medications. Wouldn't they ask their doctor before DIY mixing and matching?

The NHS sidesteps the question as to whether CBD OTC oil might have benefit for some (who aren't taking or have given up on prescribed meds), in the same way the NHS sidesteps numerous things which people take and swear by meds or not, unless and until some harmful evidence emerges. As I said, it'd be impossible to test everything against everything else but common sense wouldn't hurt before throwing cash at the latest miracle cure advertised.

Postby Pampy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:47 pm

I'm on "serious" medications and I can 100% guarantee you that if I asked my GP about taking CBD, her answer would be exactly the same as Sue's - no definitive testing has been done so the information isn't there for her to give an informed opinion. GPs (certainly mine) don't tend to give "suck it and see" answers.
As for Raymond B - I've met him in a social environment and he speaks exactly as he does on tv. IMO, he is one of the least pretentious chefs in the business.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:19 am

Another foodie travel article. This time in Mumbai.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021 ... ood-recipe

Postby scullion » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:02 pm

i have a close friend who came over from france and was married, here, by the time she was 21.
she was head of languages at a local college before retiring some years ago. not as strong as raymond's, her accent, even though she learned english in a language laboratory at school, is still quite strong. i think it's easy to retain an accent if the native language continues to be used with family etc.
one of my french teachers, at school, had a very strong geordie accent. thank heavens for the audio material he used...

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:57 pm

Some years ago I decided to improve my spoken German and got some cassette tapes made by the BBC to play in the car. I listened to them once - I had assumed the Beeb would employ native speaker but you could hear at once that they were people who normally spoke BBC English speaking grammatically correct, but excruciating, German

As that was exactly the effect I was trying to lose, I took them back to the library

Postby Busybee » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:11 pm

A similar experience learning Spanish, we had bought a house in rural Spain and I really wanted to make an effort to speak Spanish whilst we were on holiday there. I went to night school and diligently made progress, only to find that I had been taught the equivalent of Oxford English (Madridian Spanish?) and the local dialect was as close to that as Glaswegian is to Oxford English.

Much laughter and good humour in the local shops, I still think they appreciated that I was trying.

We have a French lady in our WI, married a Brit 50 years ago and lived here since then, they spend a few months each year in France, she still has a pronounced accent.

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:24 pm

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:50 pm

How interesting, I was thinking about making Ottolenghi's apple and olive oil cake a few days ago after seeing Jay Rayner's version in the Observer last week but didn't get round to it. His recipe says Bramleys, but I also saw it on US sites using Granny Smiths - I guess they don't have a Bramley equivalent in the US?

I must compare the two recipes, it'll be interesting to see what the differences are. AS I recall, Ottolenghi's doesn't have ricotta, as I don't have any so wouldn't have thought of doing a recipe that needed it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:54 pm

At least Madrileños are native Spanish speakers BB! The BBC lot sounded like a BBC newsreader reading out the script. phonetically
I’m told my German is overly correct and old fashioned, but at least I am often understood!

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:58 pm

That looks good, Pepper!
What´s more. I think I´ve got all the ingredients here in the kitchen... :woohoo: :woohoo:

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:02 pm

Learning a language is all about listening, and some people just don´t listen. And when I say "listening", that means imitating, just like a parrot. If, in your mind, it sounds absurd, then you´ll never get it right :gonzo
Of course, if you´re imitating an English parrot speaking French, then you´ll end up squawking the language.

Postby aero280 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:27 pm

I learnt a little bit of German from cassettes in the car on the way to and from work. The speakers were all German natives, but from different parts. It was useful to hear the accents, but a bit confusing. After many years of visiting Germany for holidays, I still cannot converse in the language. I can ask for things and generally make myself understood, but I just can't work out the replies. Probably because I can't recognise the gaps between words.

We drove to Spain a few years ago for the first time. I got a basic CD of "Get by in Spanish" which was quite good. I listened to it over and over in the car for about six weeks, and at the end I could count to 10 and say, yes & no, please & thank you. Which is about my limit for foreign. OH spoke no Spanish, but is fluent in German and pretty good in French. I lent the Spanish CD to her, but she never got around to using it. I took it in the car and she finally listened to it twice on the road from Bordeaux down to the hotel in Spain. I said "Hola!" to the receptionist. OH started to hold a conversation with her. I don't know how she does it! It's similar in Italian, but she struggles with Hungarian.

No.1 son has the same language abilities as OH. I'm embarrassed.

Postby Pampy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:38 pm

I've lived in Sardinia and The Netherlands. I found Italian very easy to learn, possibly because I took Latin at school but speaking Dutch defeated me. The shopkeepers in the village all spoke excellent English but for some reason, the fishmonger laughingly insisted that before I asked for what I wanted, I first recited the names of some of his wares in Dutch - his favourite was baked cod - gebakken kabeljauw. Still can't pronounce it properly to this day! I can read Dutch but speak it - never, although I did try. I think I'm better with the "romance" languages rather than Teutonic as I can also speak passable French but never mastered German.

Postby aero280 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:46 pm

Speaking a little bit of foreign languages can have surprising results.

Our son had two weeks in Poland on a sort of exchange while at uni. A couple of years after that, he came with us on holiday in France. One evening in the hotel he realised that the waitress was Polish, so he ordered his coffee in Polish. The waitress burst into tears and ran off!! :o She soon came back and apologised and said that she had been working in France for 18 months and that was the first time anyone had spoken to her in her native language...

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:53 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Learning a language is all about listening, and some people just don´t listen. And when I say "listening", that means imitating, just like a parrot. If, in your mind, it sounds absurd, then you´ll never get it right :gonzo
Of course, if you´re imitating an English parrot speaking French, then you´ll end up squawking the language.

I agree with that up to a point - my late bf, really couldn’t hear any difference between her saying the word and a native speaker - she couldn’t identify British accents either, once confidently declaring a Northern Irish accent to be Welsh. It’s not something easily overcome, it seems to be to do with the way the way the auditory centres in the brain are hooked up, physically her hearing was good, tested every year as her mother was deaf. After about 30 years I gave up being annoyed by the mispronunciations, though the failure to admit there was a problem was irritating

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox