Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby aero280 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:15 pm

I have changed my annual stollen recipe to a try bake one. I'll have to look it up again. I mentioned it on WF last year. It was successful among the majority of the family; all except No. 2 son who hates both dried fruit in cakes as well as marzipan!! :o

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:48 pm

I really only like the stollen bites that I think plenty of us on here buy from Lidl ... this is the closest I get to liking anything that resembles christmas cake. That and christmas pudding both leave me wondering what everyone loves about them .. :thumbsdown :(

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:51 pm

well i love panettone and from the way it disappears quickly, so does my partner. isn't it just brioche by another name?!
it gets pulled into slivers and dipped in hot chocolate from guiltlessly large chunks.
and i know we're not the only ones who like it. i love the chocolate version and our upcountry young like the fruit version.
i'm sure the article writer isn't wrong that it may not be everyones cup of tea (accompaniment) but maybe it would be better for her to stay known for her other deeds than for criticising something that has most likely been around longer than she has.

would the article have been written if you know who had said - 'let them eat panettone'?

i love stollen, too, and christmas cake and christmas pudding.
i'm probably a person of lesser taste according to julie.b but i can at least spell panettone right!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:03 pm

I do think she had a point about Panettone though. It does seem to be stacked up high everywhere you go more than almost anything else at Christmas. Maybe it really is that popular but I do suspect that many just grab it to give as a gift to someone because the box is pretty.

I think that a good Christmas cake with plenty of marzipan and royal icing eaten at afternoon teatime with a cuppa is very special indeed :yum. Just out of interest, at what meal/time of day do Italians eat Panettone and Germans, Stollen traditionally?

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:19 pm

I don't like brioche either! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ETA but I love Christmas cake and pudding.
Last edited by Pampy on Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:19 pm

Earthmaiden wrote: I do suspect that many just grab it to give as a gift to someone because the box is pretty.

i've only done that once - the tin is still in use. i buy them for us, especially the chocolate version.
we've only once been given a panettone as a gift - it was lovely and most welcome - made by an italian baker up near camelford.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:29 pm

We'd been enjoying panettone for years before it became so prevalent. It was an Italian friend who introduced me to it (and sundried tomatoes!) in the early 80s and also told me how if you keep it in a warm place - say, near the boiler or somewhere like that - the flavours really come out.
I recall there was a Greek supermarket on the Uxbridge Road opposite the police station in Acton, where we used to live, that I used to get it.

I introduced quite a few friends to it and as far as I know, they've all continued to enjoy it.

In our extensive ( ;) ) tastings, we decided the Wilko one was better than the Lidl one :lol:

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:04 pm

Cake from Italy that goes well with a cuppa is cherry Genoa which is a good alternative for those who don't like dried fruit.

Panettone with really decent coffee makes a lovely change for breakfast.

Postby Suelle » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:00 pm

aero280 wrote:I have changed my annual stollen recipe to a try bake one. I'll have to look it up again. I mentioned it on WF last year. It was successful among the majority of the family; all except No. 2 son who hates both dried fruit in cakes as well as marzipan!! :o

Is that the Dan Lepard recipe which doesn't use yeast? I really like that as a home-made alternative to Stollen as my yeast baking leaves a lot to be desired!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... dan-lepard
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby aero280 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:29 pm

That's the one! :). It seems to be a favourite of the fruit and marzipan side of the family.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:23 pm

They look quite nice (I'm never sure exactly what it is about Stollen I don't like much but this looks better!).

Do you think you could use orange zest in place of extract? I have got an old bottle of orange blossom extract too.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:30 pm

scullion wrote:
i love stollen, too, and christmas cake and christmas pudding.
i'm probably a person of lesser taste according to julie.b but i can at least spell panettone right!

I knew there was something wrong with my spelling... I tried various versions, but couldn't get rid of the dotted red line underneath :roll: :oops:

Postby Suelle » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:57 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:They look quite nice (I'm never sure exactly what it is about Stollen I don't like much but this looks better!).

Do you think you could use orange zest in place of extract? I have got an old bottle of orange blossom extract too.

I'm sure orange zest would be fine, but orange blossom extract probably wouldn't be strong enough.

I love stollen, but it's even better if I can get marzipan in almost every mouthful.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:48 pm

It looks like a really great recipe, I'm very tempted!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:11 pm

jeral wrote:Cake from Italy that goes well with a cuppa is cherry Genoa which is a good alternative for those who don't like dried fruit.

Panettone with really decent coffee makes a lovely change for breakfast.

The cherry Genoa I know is full of dried fruit, just with a high proportion of cherries? Otherwise known as slab cake - the Tesco version is 37% sultanas!
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /264938346

I've been eating panettone since the Italian deli where we bought sandwiches and groceries used to give us a piece as a Christmas bonus, many years ago
I was getting small ones as the firm that supply espresso beans to the nearest coffee shop gave away so many they were passing them on, but the supply seems to have dried up

Postby Renee » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:48 am

I had a lovely home-made Christmas pudding a couple of years ago at a friend's house and he had used orange and lemon zest, rather than the candied peel. It was so much nicer.

I made stollen many years ago. It was best lightly toasted.

Postby Wic » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:29 am

We first came across Stollen years ago when we lived in Germany. We thought it was a sort of loaf, so ate it sliced and buttered. When I told a German friend how much we enjoyed it like that she was shocked. She said Germans never buttered it and lectured me about eating it the right way. However, we are not Germans, so needn’t be as authentic as that, we still butter it!

Postby aero280 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:06 am

SpottedDick from the old wildfood days posted several stollen recipes on his blog. One was a Dresden stollen which had no marzipan in it. That might toast better.

I can’t remember the name of his blog. Something that starts with “itsallinthe...”?

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:09 am

Itsallinthegame ?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:22 am

I wonder if the blog is no longer in use? I just looked and there’s no link in his Facebook profile.

I agree though that I usually have the kind of stollen with marzipan in it, so it wouldn’t toast well

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox