Register

Authentic Rogan Josh

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Authentic Rogan Josh

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:01 am

Re: Authentic Rogan Josh

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:20 am

Very interesting
I have made versions of rogan josh but the red has come from tomatoes and paprika, not Kashmiri chilliest

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:28 am

That´s a beautiful story, isn´t it? You can almost sense the exciting atmosphere of the weddings!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:45 am

It's not a recipe I'd make for myself but a lovely story and I suspect the results are good. I always feel nervous when I hear of mothers who want to keep recipes secret. Suppose they met their demise unexpectedly and had not passed on the recipe and technique? :cry:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:58 am

There are secret recipes and secret recipes

I remember a friend bemoaning that she didn’t have her grandma’s secret jam recipe, I was able to tell her the trick as it was how my grandma did it too - it was the method in the book that came with old gas cookers, you mix the fruit and sugar the night before cooking so the sugar draws the juice and dissolves. This reduces the cooking time giving a fresher flavour and for reasons I don’t understand seems to improve the set slightly.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:27 pm

Good jamming tip, Sue. I've seen it before, but never have taken the time to soak the fruits beforehand in the sugar.

I really fancy making that rogan josh.
And desi ghee is a new one to me. I haven't got ghee anyway, so a special purchase in this instance of desi ghee won't hurt the bank.

Postby scullion » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:15 pm

interesting about the jam as that's how i usually make it, basically cos i usually start too late and so leave it until the next day to boil, same with marmalade. i didn't realise it was a 'real' method.

in the vein of the original post, the cookbook 'indian delights' is a large collection of recipes collected from indian expats in south africa to help the younger generation learn the cuisine of their forebears that were beginning to be forgotten about away from their homeland and with their busy lifestyle.
it's a great addition to the bookshelf.
it has recipes for 800 people - if you should need one.
another reason to buy it is that all profits from the book have gone to give educational grants to the poorer members of the community. it's published by the women's cultural group in durban s.a.

ps. i can't believe the cost of the amazon copy! i thought the cost of ones on abe were steep enough. i think i paid about twenty for a new copy ten years ago.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:22 pm

I make jam that way too. I often include additions to the sugar such as cinnamon sticks, lemon rind, elderflower heads, etc, depending on the sort of jam I'm making. I remove from the macerated fruit & sugar the next day, stick it in a muslin bag and boil it up with the fruit & sugar. Adds a further depth of flavour.

Love that Rogan Josh recipe and the back story!
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox