Register

Who regularly gets rabbit?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:24 pm

I haven't had it for ages other than at smart restaurants.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... -waste-not

Re: Who regularly gets rabbit?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:55 pm

I still have the one I found in my freezer months ago .. I love rabbit in a stew as my mum made it :yum I really must make this ... and then freeze most of it as I am the only person in this house who would eat it :roll:

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:11 pm

Not as often as we did since OH stopped working at the farm shop, but I buy a brace whenever I see them ... I find that popping out to butchers shops in little market towns during harvest time (any time now onwards) is the best tactic.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:15 pm

I have never been keen on tame rabbit - neither the taste nor the texture is pleasant imo and I think I last had a wild one about 6 years ago

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Haven't seen it on sale for years. Have to go some way for that sort of butcher here.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:44 pm

I don't buy it regularly, usually when we go over to Hastings ( pre-covid :roll: ) there's a very traditional butcher over there that has it, wild - I don't like the taste/texture of tame rabbit either, a bit like pappy chicken to me.

Then there's the actual farm shops - it all seems like a distant memory now........

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:00 pm

I can always pick one up from our butcher or the local farm shops or FMs. That said, I often get a few (perhaps that should be a foo) when we go to Norfolk as they tend to be cheaper. We found one in the freezer the other week, it either came from the butcher in Wells or La Hogue farm shop. It was braised and served with a cream and tarragon sauce. I like tandoori rabbit on the barbeque, not done it for years though. Another treat is the liver, especially in a bacon sandwich.

I haven't had it for ages other than at smart restaurants

There used to be a really nice plate of rabbit, served in a number of ways, regularly on the menu at Hambleton Hall. :yum

Postby Seatallan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:51 pm

Local farm shops often have wild rabbit around here. I do love a rabbit pie (I like the Delia 'Old English' one in 'Complete Cookery') and I have a particularly delectable rabbit stew with mustard recipe that I really must do again soon. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby scullion » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:37 pm

- another rabbit?

(my second thought was - our cats, as a takeaway.)

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:09 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:53 am

I wasn´t sure whether you meant rabbit, as in edible , or rabbit, as in what my dear wife does over the phone:
"rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit,rabbit, rabbit," :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:34 am

Seatallan wrote:Local farm shops often have wild rabbit around here. I do love a rabbit pie (I like the Delia 'Old English' one in 'Complete Cookery') and I have a particularly delectable rabbit stew with mustard recipe that I really must do again soon. :yum

Oooh... glad to see this recipe is in a book I already have (currently my bible for scones ;) ) It is listed on pages 513-514 ... annoyingly it's just the title of the dish on page 513, with the recipe and method on page 514 :roll: Even more annoyingly, I can find no way of keeping this book open at any recipe, apart from weighing it down with very heavy pan :thumbsdown :evil:

Postby scullion » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:07 am

i have one of these (not that i use it very much - it's a pain if the recipe continues overleaf) but there are plenty of more useable bookstands if you 'goggle' them. i'm surprised you haven't had any in your shop.
i also use beach rocks to keep pages open!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:14 am

scullion wrote:i have one of these (not that i use it very much - it's a pain if the recipe continues overleaf) but there are plenty of more useable bookstands if you 'goggle' them. i'm surprised you haven't had any in your shop.

I haven't seen any come into the shop - if I had I would have snapped it up, but I do have a wooden one, however, no way would it hold this tome open :( :roll:

Edited to add: I think the plastic one would work .. I'll look on Amazon as I have free prime for a month ;)

Postby Pampy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:14 pm

I've got the plastic one (had it for at least 30 years) - it works well!

Postby mark111757 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:49 am

Found this via net search

https://bigmamouorganicfarm.blogspot.co ... d.html?m=1

Night be good of it was fresh and not frozen

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:11 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
scullion wrote:i have one of these (not that i use it very much - it's a pain if the recipe continues overleaf) but there are plenty of more useable bookstands if you 'goggle' them. i'm surprised you haven't had any in your shop.

I haven't seen any come into the shop - if I had I would have snapped it up, but I do have a wooden one, however, no way would it hold this tome open :( :roll:

Edited to add: I think the plastic one would work .. I'll look on Amazon as I have free prime for a month ;)

reporting back on the book holder .. I found one, ordered and it was delivered almost the next day. I have used it more than once especially when referring to my Delia tome. It works perfectly :thumbsup

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:51 am

Oooooo you lot are proper.............I just use a cast iron weight from my scales! 8-)

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox