Register

Rhubarb

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Rhubarb

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:49 pm

Australia style.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... pie-filler

I didn’t know it was Chinese. :oops:

Re: Rhubarb

Postby Suffs » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:03 pm

Usually considered to come from Siberia ... but it’s all pretty much of a muchness in that neck of the woods.

Postby Grasshopper » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:09 pm

Hot rhubarb crumble and cold vanilla ice-cream - yummmmmmmmmmmm!!!

:yum
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:35 pm

I had no idea that it originated in those parts. I rather like the idea of a rhubarb tarte Tatin (the tin was mentioned in the article). I don't like the way the rhubarb is arranged in the picture of the frangipane recipe though, makes it look really unappetising!

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:55 pm

Interesting - I´d always thought it was from Iran!!

There´s a mystery for me in the first line of the recipe.
What´s "cultured butter"? Is is butter that went to Oxford or Cambridge? :gonzo

Postby Grasshopper » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:59 pm

:limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana

Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:09 am

karadekoolaid wrote:Interesting - I´d always thought it was from Iran!!

There´s a mystery for me in the first line of the recipe.
What´s "cultured butter"? Is is butter that went to Oxford or Cambridge? :gonzo

I knew it was Chinese because of its use in herbal medicine and because James Wong brings it up sometimes, there’s quite a well-known quote about some Chinese official centuries ago letting the English have rhubarb roots in case we died of constipation without it :o

“Cultured butter” as far as I know is simply butter made from soured cream as much butter is - Lidl used to do a lovely sour cream unsalted butter very cheap.

I do wish the Grauniad would sub these Australian articles to remove language we don’t understand here, Palisa is very Oz sometimes, I think they just assume whatever editing was done down under will suffice

Postby Suelle » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:08 am

That's a lot of work (and some unusual ingredients) for one cake, and I really don't see the point of using both rhubarb and apples.

I follow an Australian blogger and remember her commenting on the fact that she could grow almost everything she needed except rhubarb, and that it was very hard to find in shops, so I found the whole article surprising.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:31 am

It’s also totally the wrong time of year ...the rhubarb season is at an end now ... it’s way past it’s best and shouldn’t be picked past the beginning of July. This allows the crown to build up a sufficient store of energy to grow all that lovely tart pink lusciousness in February and March from a standing start. Keep picking it through the summer and you’ll have a weak crown, a sparse crop next spring and the plant will try to bolt (flower and seed) resulting in an even more impoverished crown.

Postby Suelle » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:11 am

The article is aimed at The Guardian's Australian readership, so it's probably the height of their season.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby ChinchillaLady » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:11 am

Thanks Suffs, you learn something everyday, picked a huge batch off mine during the week :oops: :oops: I hope it hasnt got a diary! Now to explain to Mr C that there will be no more until next spring.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:14 am

A few years ago I was in Southern Argentina and saw a notice about Ruibarbo being a Patagonian speciality. I'd recently seen Jonathan Agnew at a Meet & Greet evening and wondered about sending him a picture of this, by which means he could have a pop at Geoffrey Boycott (who proudly claims rhubarb for Yorkshire). However the technology didn't allow it at the time and it didn't happen. Presumably it was one of the few 'fruits' that would grow well down there. I don't really know what they do with it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:15 am

Patagonia has a huge Welsh community so they might not do anything we aren’t used to with the rhubarb!

It’s a thought that it may have travelled China > Silk Road > Wales > Patagonia

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:42 pm

Just had a quick glance at some of the tourist pages in Patagonia. Rhubarb seems to grow wild there!
What do they do with it? Well more or less the same as we do: marmalade, jam, pies, tarts, crumbles.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:11 pm

In Argentina we caught a taxi driven by a chap whose surname was Rees in a town called Trelew. :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:00 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Just had a quick glance at some of the tourist pages in Patagonia. Rhubarb seems to grow wild there!
What do they do with it? Well more or less the same as we do: marmalade, jam, pies, tarts, crumbles.

I suppose Patagonia and China were contiguous relatively recently in geological time!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox