Register

Dips etc

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Dips etc

Postby Amyw » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Talking of anchovies and dips, does bagna cauda count? Absolutely delicious

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:47 pm

Absolutely, Amyw!
The Piedmontese apparently whip this up at any time they´re feeling hungry.
In my (now ancient!) copy of Italian Food, Elizabeth David is somewhat dismissive of it:
"..for it is a dish which essentially needs the accompanimentof plenty of strong coarse red wine, such as the local Barbera. It is also excessively indigestible, and is indicated only for those with very resistant stomachs"
Reckon mine must be made of cast iron... :gonzo

Postby Amyw » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:11 pm

Haha . I kind of get what she means in that’s very pungent but then that’s why I love it . It’s such a gutsy dish

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:50 pm

Avocado layer cake. Today’s recipe from Lindsey Bareham fits the dips bill.

http://www.lindseybareham.com/avocado-layer-cake/

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:03 pm

Doritos hot salsa?
Lindsay Bareham plummets in my estimation, not for using a jar but for using that one, it's really nasty imo

Used to buy Pace Thick & Chunky in a jar, but don't think they import it any more

Postby Amyw » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:27 pm

I agree having had the misfortune to eat a Doritos salsa before . To say a freshly made one might not taste better than that is ridiculous. It’s bound to be hundred times better .

I think avocado layer cake is a bit fancy for what’s essentially guacamole , salsa and a bit of sour cream and cheese smooshed on top of each other

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:41 pm

It's just a variant on the US 5 or 7 layer dip, which is actually rather nice
For example
https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-co ... layer-dip/

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:34 pm

I've never had Doritos salsa, as far as I know! I used to really enjoy Lindsey Bareham's weekly column in the Evening Standard when I was commuting and was very sad when they got rid of her. I think I even wrote her an email to tell her!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:16 am

I`ve just looked up "Dorito`s Hot Salsa Dip". Bloomin expensive if you ask me!
Blitz some passata, a couple of tomatoes, onion, a bit of red pepper, some jalapeños, salt and a glug of olive oil in a blender, then microwave it for 2 minutes. I think you`d get a better (and cheaper) result.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:44 am

Doritos salsa is like cheap ketchup but lumpy and with raw cayenne added

Most supermarket own brands are better

Postby halfateabag » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:09 am

I've made a tzasaki to go with todays lunch, Lidls greek yogurt is very very thick, garlic, fresh dill & mint, chopped cucumber from the GH and some salt. I know the mint is not traditional but we like it. :yum

Postby herbidacious » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:36 pm

I could make almost all of that salsa with things from my gatrden :) (No onions. Yet.)

I might make some tztatziki tomorrow. I have a lot of cucumbers, and all the other ingredients (even dill and Total 5%). I have the recipe my ex Greek flat mate used to use somewhere...

Postby Amyw » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:46 pm

Haha I made some tzatziki today too after reading this . Had with some toasted pitta , some nice yellow tomatoes from Lidl and olives for a snacky lunch

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:39 am

Have you got that recipe, Herbi?
Whilst I know how to make it, an authentic Greek recipe will be just right.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:36 pm

I just came across this method for improving canned chickpeas when you make hummus - it seems that if you boil the chickpeas for 20 mins with some baking soda, that gives you a really smooth texture without the need to peel them - I know we've talked about peeling them - or rather, not peeling them - in one of our conversations! I can see that it would help as some brands definitely keep more of their texture than others
https://cookieandkate.com/best-hummus-recipe/
They also suggest letting the lemon juice and the garlic sit together before adding the chickpeas as that apparently mellows the garlic flavour ...

She also suggests using some cumin (I have a feeling this is a big no-no for StokeySue :D )

Anyway, the next time I make hummus, with or without cumin, I will definitely boil the canned ones with the baking soda beforehand and see what difference it makes!

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:34 pm

They are some pretty refined details, KC2!
However: if the tinned peas are a bit tough then the bicarb would work. I always make hummus from dried beans, but even then, that doesn´t guarantee a smooth version. Personally, I like a little bit of texture in my hummus; everyone to their own.
I´ll have to admit that sometimes I put cumin into the mixture - and why not? I sometimes make it with beetroot, too.
I really wouldn´t bother peeling chickpeas. That, to me, is akin to cuttting the lawn with a pair of nail scissors. 8-)

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:35 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:I really wouldn´t bother peeling chickpeas. That, to me, is akin to cuttting the lawn with a pair of nail scissors.

:lol: :lol: 8-) 8-)

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:07 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Anyway, the next time I make hummus, with or without cumin, I will definitely boil the canned ones with the baking soda beforehand and see what difference it makes!

Do KC2 - I'd be interested in the outcome - like Clive, I always use dried peas but if there's another method that compares I'm all forrit !

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:32 pm

If you are going to go to all that faff it seems to me you might as well cook the chickpeas from scratch, without the baking soda in my case, I’d worry it would be possible to taste it

Postby DEB » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:33 am

You can cook chickpeas, and other beans, in a pressure cooker or an instant pot in 15mins or so in a pressure cooker and approx 25mins in an instant pot. Please not the lenght of time does depend on how old they are and you have socked then overnight.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox