Register

Dips etc

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Dips etc

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Just came across this from yesterday's Grauniad - some nice ideas for combos I wouldn't have thought of: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... ba-ganoush

Re: Dips etc

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:25 pm

Sadly, I wouldn't be able to trust myself with many of those. Far too moreish :yum :oops:. I used to love it in the USA when we sometimes had 'chips 'n' dip' for an evening treat. Do people do that here?

Postby Amyw » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:36 pm

What a lovely article . As a longtime hummus hater , I do think it dominates the dip market so much , we often forget all the other lovely dishes out there.

I make guac and salsa fairly often . Guacamole for me is avocado chillies, squeeze of lime, heavy on the seasoning and occasionally red onion. I like it fairly chunky. My salsa is pretty variable . Normally tomato , coriander and chilli based , but I do love a mango salsa one too.

Baba ghanoush is one of my favourites and I've bookmarked the article for the whipped feta and sumac one . I love "chips and dips". Perfect in the evening if you've had a big/late lunch and just want something to nibble on or if you just in the mood for something picky

Postby smitch » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:12 pm

I used to make a nice dip with feta, soft cheese and sun blush tomatoes blitzed together. Not made it for ages though.

Postby mistakened » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:31 pm

I had a couple of good dips yesterday at Melanda Bay, they make their own. A smoked aubergine one and what was called Fava, pureed yellow lentils seasoned but not spiced. Do not forget Skordalia, a garlic dip often made with mashed potato

Moira

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:49 pm

I’m with Earthmaiden here, about 20 odd years ago the supermarkets were suddenly awash with them I did ask when people actually ate these flavoured mayonnaise foodstuffs and got 15 or so “helpful” replies telling me you could dip crisps and carrot sticks into them. Well, duh.

I do make dips for buffets, meze, picnics, nibbles with social drinks, and sometimes as a starter or accompaniment for a meal but they are to me far too rich and messy to eat as a regular snack. Occasionally I have them as part of a light lunch - a sort of mini meze

I disagree with the author that shop hummus is better than homemade, shop is very acidic and never contains enough tahini. I do admit to a low taste for knicker pink taramasalata in tubs, it bears little resemblance to the real thing but… yum. Needs pitta chips, preferably bought New York chips which are definitely better than home made

This is a really good and easy way of making a bowl each of pico de gallo and guacamole, you start with the pico de gallo and use half as a base for the guacamole

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-co ... e-gallo-a/

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:14 pm

"Dips" as such are considered a little "passé" over here. I think it´s because people remember those ghastly concoctions of liquid "American" cheese filled with revolting tins of olives, pickles, relishes and what not. We´ve got a friend who ALWAYS makes dips. Tuna dip, pecan and cream cheese dip, CheezWhiz and banana dip... :shock: - they´re usually left on the table at the end of the day. For her son´s wedding, she had all manner of glorious snacks and canapés: artichoke & bacon turnovers, pakoras, Vietnamese beef skewers, chicken satays,crostini with parma ham and sundried tomatoes...and the dips. :gonzo
Hey, never mind - what ever takes your fancy. Hummus, guacamole,pico de gallo and babbaganoush have taken over, it seems.
I NEVER buy hummus or babbaganoush from the supermarkets. They´re so easy to make and, as Sue points out, the shop-bought versions tend to be acidic and thin. I´d take issue with the writer on how long it takes to make babbaganoush, too. I dry-roast the aubergines in a heavy saucepan and cover them with foil. Sometimes I put a few mango twigs in the pan to create extra smoke. They never seem to take more than 20 minutes.
Roasted red peppers and roasted garlic go well with cream cheese. And one of my favourites is a Blue Cheese and Caramelised Onion dip. When I can find Blue Cheese, of course!

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:52 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:CheezWhiz and banana dip...

Really? :?

Postby Amyw » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:19 pm

I like the sound of the roasted red pepper and garlic dip . I usually use either crudités or toasted pita or I make my own tortilla chips . If I’m wanting something a bit more substantial I’ll do my own bruschetta and spread the dip on top

Postby liketocook » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:31 pm

Oh I do like a good dip.
An easy one I make is a can of butter beans, a couple of large roasted red peppers (from a jar), a couple of cloves of garlic, olive oil, lemon, oregano, a good pinch of hot paprika, S&P blitzed until smooth. It's very moreish as a dip or a spread.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:17 pm

This is a really good and easy way of making a bowl each of pico de gallo and guacamole, you start with the pico de gallo and use half as a base for the guacamole

I used to do something similar but make a third version also, using pico de gallo with mashed red beans. Haven't done this for a while as I tend not to put tomatoes in the whack-a-mole these days.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Oh, meant to mention my fondness for the salt cod based dips such as Brandade de Morue or the Iberian equivalents

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:33 pm

I wouldn't have thought of brandade as a dip, as I am always served an individual bowl of it

Though one of my favourite ways of using excess dips also works with brandade, just use it as a topping for a jacket spud

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:43 pm

God I love brandada (the Spanish one).

I tried making taramasalata fairly recently, but the smell was too strong. The more I prepared it, the worse it got.
I ended up not keeping it, despite the expense of the ingredients.
There was no rescuing it, and I shall stick with the barbie pink stuff from the shops.

I sometimes get the same problem using fish sauce in something.
Having to avoid recipes that use it.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:03 pm

I seriously don't get that Gill - smoked cod roe has hardly any smell at all, it certainly isn't unpleasant - I've made tarama many times & never encountered that - are you sure your roe was fresh?

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:35 pm

I've never had brandade or brandada ... I must investigate and try some! I'm sure I'd love it ...

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:54 pm

Pea guacamole anyone?
:D

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:43 pm

The thing about dips is they’re supposed to be for sharing aren’t they? Having known a lot of double dippers that puts me off. A lot. So now presumably dipping has to be a solo activity. Which is better.

I can’t be arsed. And calories are usually involved.

I have already warned you I am turning into a miserable old cow,

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:17 pm

Me too!

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:49 pm

they’re supposed to be for sharing aren’t they?

When it comes to taramasalata or brandade, in this house I'm on my own! :D

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox