Register

Jay’s favourite kitchen tasks

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Jay’s favourite kitchen tasks

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:09 am

The only way I like butter beans is butter bean mash where the skins are removed.
I make it probably once every two years as removing the skins .is just so tedious!

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:43 am

I put beaten eggs through a sieve when making scrambled eggs ... but only when making scrambled eggs.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:09 pm

Does sharpening knives count? I love sitting down at the kitchen table on a wet Sunday afternoon & honing the blades until they sing.....!

MmmwwaaHaHaaaa.....!

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:19 pm

MagicMarmite wrote:The only way I like butter beans is butter bean mash where the skins are removed.
I make it probably once every two years as removing the skins .is just so tedious!

You don't fancy this from today's Guardian then MM? I abdsolutely love butter beans in any shape or form. OH hates them, in fact he hates all pulses, beans etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... alsa-verde

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:27 pm

I adore butter beans - in fact all pulse/lentils, preferably dried & soaked ( another satisfying kitchen task) but the beans in that pic look very small to be butter beans.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:28 pm

They look small, but they are the right shape for butter beans, not cannellini or the Argentine white kidney beans, and presumably did come out of a can labelled butter beans

I like butter beans (Lidl the best in cans) and found a jar of dried and cooked them recently, they came out much like the Lidl ones, huge, almost like Greek gigantes, but can’t remember where I got them :(

Putting them in salsa verde sounds good

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:38 pm

That would be great for me with cannelinis which I love.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:07 am

Jay has just tweeted that a dear friend has sent him a brand new egg slicer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby mistakened » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:15 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Jay has just tweeted that a dear friend has sent him a brand new egg slicer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phew, :wino

Postby scullion » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:55 am

when i was in junior school we were served butter beans in their cooked but unadorned, floury state and i hated them. at senior school we were served them in a similar sort of way to that recipe, in a parsley sauce - i was a convert.
the thing that annoys me about 'real' dried butter beans is the way they split in half when you cook them from soaked. gigantes (now growing in the garden), the tinned ones and the loose, dried white beans from the eastern european shop are so much more satisfying in that respect.

Postby Lokelani » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:01 pm

I find most food prep tasks rewarding, it's just the washing up I loathe.

Therefore I suppose some of my favourite tasks are ones where I've found a way around the washing up... I always make the buttercream in the Kenwood chef bowl, before the cake mixture, not the other way round. Then I don't have to wash the bowl in between! Likewise melting chocolate in the microwave with other things rather than usual a bowl over simmering water, works for me.

I've never attempted to take the skins off chickpeas or butterbeans for houmous or butterbean mash. i guess I'm not bothered about a silky smooth texture. I've never even bothered on fresh broad beans. I must be a very lazy cook! :lol:

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox