Register

Who’s up for a challenge?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Who’s up for a challenge?

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:46 am

Re: Who’s up for a challenge?

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:41 am

:evil: :evil:

edited to say that although I find the whole thing quite repulsive, the science bit is quite interesting. I'd be interested to know if those people who are not overweight develop related health issues as time goes on. Even if they take measures to expand their stomachs, the body has still got to process it and the food used is usually highly processed junk food which most bodies do not enjoy digesting.
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Suffs » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:52 am

Revolting, obscene and amoral.

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:13 am

so, if there are 15 contestants and, at a rough estimate, they eat fifty each - that's lunch that could have been given to 750 people in food poverty.
hmmm - which would be the best advertisement for the business‽

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:43 am

Talking of records, I am reminded of meeting a bloke for the first time (he later became a regular at my local), and him challenging me to a drinking contest. What I didn't realise was he held the Guinness World Record at the time...

My point on that is that back then in the 70s, his record was I think just under three seconds. Now the record is less than half a second, 0.45 seconds.

The record holder is also recorded as holding the record for drinking 90 pints - at my heaviest drinking stage, that has got to be close to a month's worth.

His record? 3 hours. 90 pints? Shouldn't he be dead? And at £3.50 a pint that's over £300!

I have a bit of an issue anyway with seeing people eating anyway, probably from watching my younger brother eat with his mouth open as a kid, which was a bit like watching a washing machine full of half masticated food going round and round. Eugh, makes me hawk just thinking of it. I hate it in movies when they have close ups of people eating, I have to hide that bit of the screen with my hand - some directors seem to fill every awkward silence with eating shots, I end up turning off.

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:04 pm

my partner used to have a patient who would drink thirty pints most lunchtimes. i don't know how they would have contemplated doing anything, let alone going back to work, in the afternoon.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:04 pm

I can only imagine that he spent all afternoon in 'the little boys room' after that.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:50 pm

...or in A&E?

EDIT: Although drinking 30 pints clearly isn't an accident.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:11 pm

I echo Suffs here; revolting, obscene and amoral. I really just don´t "get" this absurd death wish to stuff yourself full of food just to win a prize, or because hundreds of idiotic zombies are clapping you on.
I remember a "yard" competition at university - the guy who won it downed a full yard of ale in about 6 seconds. One of the other competitors downed half and then it all came up again. Utterly disgusting.
I do confess to watching Man vs Food, however. Must have some morbid sense of terror that makes me want to watch an idiot downing 12 chicken wings drenched with Trinidad Scorpion sauce...

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:49 pm

I appreciate it’s a serious article but I won’t read it, any more than I will watch Man vs Food or similar trash

My personal view is that anyone who participates on any level probably needs rehab

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:26 pm

I adore chillies in all their forms, eat whatever curry takes my fancy and love going to chilli festivals but have no interest whatsoever in chilli eating contests nor the puerile marketing of some hot sauces.

I have never seen an episode of Man v Food but the trailers are enough. It all seems to glorify greed and waste. I'm really cross with myself if I ever throw food away but it is becoming more and more acceptable to over order and leave the excess.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:28 am

[code]I adore chillies in all their forms, eat whatever curry takes my fancy and love going to chilli festivals [/code
I agree, BM; I´m the same. Unless a chile way up on the "idiot" range (ie. Jolokia, Trinidad Scorpion, Carolina Reaper, etc) I ask to taste them before buying. No way, however, am I going to make a bloody fool of myself in one of these pathetic "macho" competitions!

Postby scullion » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:09 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I appreciate it’s a serious article but I won’t read it,

it's main subject is about the statistical maximum number of hot dogs that could be eaten in the competition. the graph for the last 39 years, that the competition has been running, has been overlaid with the ogive/sigmoid curve that follows the increase in world sporting records, giving a prediction of 84 being the max (the current champion can eat 75 in 10 minutes) - unless someone with a growth deformity takes part.
i think that's the gist of it - the rest of the article is journalistic padding.
i would say it was trying to be serious but failing miserably, the sort of article written by the trainee who'd just been moved on from the personal adds/obituaries column but not trusted with 'proper' subjects yet.

mind you, looking at the writers credentials i would have expected better, even though it may not have been her subject.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:39 am

the ogive/sigmoid curve that follows the increase in world sporting records,

So stuffing your face with hotdogs is now considered a sport?
What ever happened to cricket/tennis/football/ rugby/athletics? :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:38 am

I can think of a few cricketers who might have stuffed their faces with hotdogs :D

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:29 am

I can think of a few cricketers who might have stuffed their faces with hotdogs

..and one of them might have scored 86 not out today :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:05 pm

You're behind the times KK. Dom Sibley has been on a fitness challenge during lockdown emulating Stokes and Buttler. He's taken up running and is a shadow of his former self. :shock:

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:39 pm

I read the article on the BBC last week, Pepper. I think being known as "The Fridge" must have got to him. What was it he lost - 12 kgs?? That´s pretty severe, even for a six-footer!

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:46 pm

He looks well fit! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:36 pm

In the words of the eternal Sir Brucie:
"Didn´t he do well!!!!" :klingonbanana :klingonbanana

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox