Register

Defrosted meat

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Defrosted meat

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:57 am

Just a quick question please. I've had some lamb defrosting in the fridge, overnight for a slow cooker meal for tonight. Alas I've just realised I don't have a key ingredient, and by the time I've been to the supermarket and got everything prepped, It won't be cooked until about 9.30.

Question, please: when meat is thawed, does the "use by" clock resume ticking from the date it was frozen? In other words, have I got the flexibility to defer the cooking till tomorrow, and have something else tonight? It is, of course, back in the fridge.

Re: Defrosted meat

Postby Suelle » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:12 pm

I think that, with lamb, you'll be safe to defer cooking for another day, unless the lamb had been brought up to room temperature for any length of time. If it had reached room temperature, I'd advise searing the meat to destroy any surface bacteria before cooling and refrigerating until tomorrow.

The other alternative is to still cook, then reheat the cooked meal tomorrow, but with such a late finishing time it will be difficult to get it in the fridge overnight.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby liketocook » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:15 pm

Yes it will be fine in the fridge for 48 hours after defrosting provided it has been safely defrosted in the fridge beforehand as yours has.

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:17 pm

Thanks Sue. I think what I'll do is cook it this afternoon, chill it overnight, then reheat a portion tomorrow.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:10 pm

Thi s happens to me all the time - I've never had a problem, especially if the meat is defrosted in the firdge

Postby Pampy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:15 pm

Happens a lot to me too - never had a problem leaving things defrosted in the fridge to cook the next day.

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:47 pm

Thanks everyone - liketocook - our posts crossed. Thanks.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox