Register

Rice/potato/maize flour

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Rice/potato/maize flour

Postby Suffs » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:23 am

My Sainsbugs deliver contained a substitution for the ‘ordinary’ plain white wheat flour I ordered.

We have 1kg of Sainsbury’s Freefrom plain flour which is gluten free and contains rice flour, potato starch and maize flour.

Does anyone have any experience as to what type of baking this is best suited for? Any tips?

Re: Rice/potato/maize flour

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:42 am

Can't help you there Suffs, but the cheap (Tesco's own) flour I ordered got subbed with McDougall's ;)

Postby Suffs » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:45 am

I’ve a feeling this was dubbed because it’s Sainsbugs own brand which is the type of plain flour I’d asked for. Next time I’ll ask for McDougalls then at least I might get wheat flour of some description :crossed

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:50 am

I think the thing is that as it’s a pre-mix it’s meant to be used in baking as you’d use ordinary wheat flour, the individual flours in the mix are pretty much irrelevant unless you are allergic to one of them of course!

Are there any instructions on the packet for using it as a sub for wheat flour?

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:06 am

The (Betty's?) VE day tea loaf was made with rice flour. I made that on the day; it was fine, would do again, but wouldn't go out of my way to buy GF flour to make it. The recipe is on here somewhere.

it’s Sainsbugs own brand which is the type of plain flour I’d asked for.

We had a similar thing with Tesco and cream cheese (for a cake topping). We ordered their 'pretend brand' and got the same brand cottage cheese - not ideal for the purpose. We were new to the game and now use the dialogue box to explain our needs. Tesco have been excellent.

Postby scullion » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:36 am

you can use the flour for most things but pastry is difficult - it breaks along folds - i made gf pastys for a friend and though they worked it took a lot more effort/care than ordinary pastry - and bread is worse as it doesn't create the matrix that gluten does to trap the air/co2/steam when proving and baking.
i think i would be tempted to save it for thickening sauces or for things that use a decent amount of eggs in the mix.

Postby Suelle » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:44 am

Most gluten-free flours are interchangeable with ordinary flour, but I usually add a little xanthan gum if it's not in the flour mixture already.

I'd keep it for things like fruit cakes and tea-breads, and other things where you're not so worried about a light result. I wouldn't use it in sponge cakes or scones, for example.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby jeral » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:58 am

Re GF flour, I'd suggest always to follow a GF recipe for baking. Expect to use a rising agent like eggs or bicarb.

From experience, as it doesn't give much rise, cupcakes work out better than full size cakes.

GF bread is in a world of its own. GF is perfectly good for flatbreads, unleaven pizza bases, biscuits or crumbles. Shortcrust pastry must be an art too as some, even bought GF pastry, tastes like cardboard/leather, so lack of rise I reckon rather than overworking.

If you give up on it, it can be used up for flouring the board or as the flour needed to absorb moisture in potato, veg or fish patties.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:08 pm

I bought some to bake with when vegan/gluten free friends came here. All the recipes I have tried from this site have worked:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/foo ... e-recipes/

I had disasters trying to use it for pastry, sauces and gravies.

Postby Suffs » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:10 pm

The pack gives instructions for a shortcrust pastry for a quiche ... but they're not terribly reassuring ... it reads

Using a fork mash the softened butter (100g) into the flour (200g) until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in just enough water to bring the pastry together into a slightly sticky ball of dough. Wrap in clingfilm and rest in the fridge for 15 minutes. Chilling the dough in the fridge makes it easier to roll. However try not to leave it in the fridge for any longer as the pastry can become brittle. Put the pastry between two layers of clingfilm and roll it out to fit a 7" round baking dish. Remove from cling film and place in dish .......... etc etc etc "

I don't think I'll bother with shortcrust ... too much faff, I don't have a quiche tin that small for a start and I presume that the pastry is too delicate to roll out any bigger ... I think I'll follow Suelle's suggestion of using it for teabread/fruitcake type recipes ....... and it'll probably work to dust the baking sheet before I put a pizza base on it ... and I'll have a look at that Good Housekeeping site too

Thanks folks :thumbsup

Postby Suelle » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:09 pm

I worked on a gluten-free shortcrust pastry recipe for ages, so that I could bake for a friend. It is sticky, and definitely needs rolling between layers of cling-film, but once it's mastered it's not bad, and my friend uses my recipe now.

https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2016/ ... -tart.html

Not worth the bother if you don't need gluten-free pastry though.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox