Register

Felicity’s Key Lime Pie

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Felicity’s Key Lime Pie

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:34 pm

Re: Felicity’s Key Lime Pie

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:21 pm

I have never eaten Key Lime Pie. It never appealed much and the recipe here doesn't really make it any more attractive. It's probably lovely really but I'll save my tin of condensed milk for ice cream.

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:42 pm

the first - and last - time i ate key lime pie was in key west.
i remember little of it other than its incredible sweetness and the comment that, 'i would rather have lemon meringue pie' said by one of us, agreed by the other. i don't remember it having anything on top.
give me a good tarte au citron any day.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:51 pm

I remember Elise (BelgianEndive) on a quest to reproduce one she had in California, she got the actual recipe and I though I had a copy but it seems I don't - she still makes it

I think it was much like this, though there might have been a little cream in with the condensed milk

I can't remember if I've had a proper one or not, I think I might have had one at Maxwell's years ago, but it wouldn't be my thing

I've a feeling you could buy a kit to make it years ago and we did when I lived in a shared house, Not wonderful,

Postby aero280 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:10 pm

I make a faux Key Lime Pie.

Crushed biscuit base. My recipe says digestive, mixed with butter, but I have also used a 50/50 mix of digestive and ginger cookies.

Topping is a large can of condensed milk whipped together with 600ml double cream until it just about stays on a spoon. Then mix with the juice of four limes, and some zest. It stiffens on mixing. Sprinkle the rest of the zest on top.

Very quick. No real baking.

I have also used some pre-made Tesco "all butter" pastry cases as a base. So you can have lots of individual tartlets. A smear of white chocolate around the inside of the case stops it going soggy too quickly.

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:11 am

My daughter made one years ago, following a recipe from The Geat British Bake Off book, it had been in the show.
It was actually really good and I don't have a sweet tooth at all.
I do remember it had a pastry base and was topped with meringue.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox