Register

Courgettes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Courgettes

Postby Seatallan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:49 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:We just love roast courgettes with loads of herbs and garlic -anything else you have to throw in, peppers, aubergines, onions - whatever! No matter how much we think we've made we always end up eating more than we thought we could! With quinoa, couscous or bulgar, with feta or goat's cheese ... :yum

Or on a base of bought, readymade puff pastry with tomatoes, dried tomato paste, herbs, cheese - like a quiche but without the custardy filling ...

Snap!! :yum

Another fave of ours is corgette fingers pan fried with sliced mushrooms & garlic and then mixed through penne along with some tuna, lemon zest and lemon juice. Served with plenty of parmesan and black pepper.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:52 pm

just came across this link on the BBC food site: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/ ... courgettes

nothing startlingly original but ok!

Love the idea with tuna, Sea, we must give that one a go!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:48 pm

Earthmaiden wrote: A popular dish with Wildies at one time was Courgette Fritters. Chinch brought some to a Norfolk picnic once. I've had a look at the Wildie board and am pretty sure this was the recipe, you'd serve them with a salad and something to dip them in probably. I made them once and thought if I did it again I would add a spice or something to add more zing but as with everything, its best to try the recipe as is first.

250g grated courgette, 125g crumbled feta, 1 medium egg and one tablespoon of flour. Mix all together and then shallow fry tablespoons for about two minutes each side.

That's essentially similar to the fritters or croquettes I made to use some of CHinch's courgette glut back in 2013 quote myself

StokeySue wrote: As Chinch kindly gave me some home-grown courgettes I decided to try making some Greek courgette & feta croquettes

There are loads of recipes in the internet, but I decided to go with this one, as most make a sort of fluid batter and drop the mixture to form fritters; I knew that wasn’t what we’d had on Paxos, this seemed more plausible

You can in fact use any herbs you like, we had three lots in different tavernas, all were different; this time I use mint and parsley, as that was what I had, but I think I’ll get some dill next time as I prefer it You could use spring onion instead if not herbally minded.

So my ingredients were
500g courgettes, grated on the 4 mm disc of the Magimix, salted and squeezed dry (if you do this, cut the courgettes into short lengths, my shreds were so long they were really hard to shape into little cakes and I ended up with 10 largish ones, should have made about 16 smaller ones)
120 g feta chopped fine (Lidl’s feta is cheap and good for cooking)
40 g plain flour
20 g SR flour
Black pepper
1 med egg beaten
A good handful flat leaf parsley and quite a bit of mint (use a lot, both cheese and courgettes soak up the flavour)
This made a soft dough when mixed, I scooped portions out with my ice cream scoop, rolled in plain flour, flattened into what looked like little fish cakes, and fried in olive oil until well coloured )remember, you need to cook the flour)

Serve warm, so the feta is a little gooey

Spot on! Can serve with tzatziki, if you like or (non-Greek) aioli would work

Postby jeral » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:03 pm

There are several Yotam recipes specifically featuring courgettes here:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... te-recipes

Posted more for inspiration from his ingredient choices than for a specific recipe.

Courgette diced works in white sauce pies with chickpeas and dark cabbage or spinach, for me with sauteed shallots and the mix of spices you'd use in pilau rice.

Postby jeral » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:15 pm

I've made a courgette ribbons salad with eating apples and cherry toms. The ribbons are dipped in EVOO/lemon/thyme dressing and curled like rosettes. Garlic croutons, big ciabatta ones - and crusty bread especially if humous and black olives happen to find their way onto the plate.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:45 pm

That filo pie looks good and uses a whole kilo of them!

Filo pastry, tarragon and spring onions added to ever increasing click and collect order for tomorrow!

Postby Pampy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:53 pm

This looks nice https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cour ... away_84359

Just seen that it's already included in an earlier post - sorry!

Postby Suffs » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:54 pm

I had a recipe for Honey & CO’s Golden Pistachio and Courgette Cake ... it’s wonderful with the flavored of star anise in it ... I posted a link on Wildfood but now the link won’t open. I thought I’d printed it out but I can’t find it ... did anyone else make a copy? It’s a marvelous cake.

Postby Suelle » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:00 pm

Suffs wrote:I had a recipe for Honey & CO’s Golden Pistachio and Courgette Cake ... it’s wonderful with the flavored of star anise in it ... I posted a link on Wildfood but now the link won’t open. I thought I’d printed it out but I can’t find it ... did anyone else make a copy? It’s a marvelous cake.

I think this is the one you're looking for:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrin ... -cake.html
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:37 am

I´ve just remembered that a Catalan friend of mine used to make a Spanish Omelette with courgettes instead of potatoes. I imagine it must have a name!

Postby Suffs » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:33 am

Suelle yes that’s the one ... thanks ... however I have been having a problem with the Telegraph paywall ... even tho’ I signed up it refuses to accept my log in details, even if I reset my password it still won’t let me in. I’ve tried over and over again. Really infuriating. If anyone is able to print it out and pop it in the post to me I’d be eternally grateful ... I would of course refund postage. :newhuggy

Postby Suelle » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:38 am

Suffs wrote:Suelle yes that’s the one ... thanks ... however I have been having a problem with the Telegraph paywall ... even tho’ I signed up it refuses to accept my log in details, even if I reset my password it still won’t let me in. I’ve tried over and over again. Really infuriating. If anyone is able to print it out and pop it in the post to me I’d be eternally grateful ... I would of course refund postage. :newhuggy

I could copy and paste and put it in a PM if that would help. Do PMs work OK here - I've never used them?

Postby Suelle » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:40 am

I've sent the PM - if you can't use it that way, send me your address and I'll print it out for you.

Postby Suffs » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:46 am

It’s arrived! That’s brilliant! Thank you so much Suelle :newhuggy I can print it out from there. It’s such a good cake ... OH would’ve been very sad not to have eaten several this courgette/marrow season ...it works with both, and I’ve made it with those prolific pattypan squashes too.
Thank you again :D

Postby Suelle » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:53 am

Great! :thumbsup

I've tried a few Honey & Co recipes , with mixed success, but they often have unusual combinations of flavours which just makes them that little bit different.

Postby Suffs » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:06 am

That one works ... the touch of star anise is genius. I have substituted the pistachio with walnuts and hazelnuts both of which worked fine, but of course the colour of pistachios is great visually. It also works just fine with no nuts at all.
I’ve passed it on to several people in the past who’ve also loved it. Gardening friends cooked several last year and the year before ... sadly ill health means they’re unlikely to be making cakes this year so I just couldn’t ask them for a copy.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:01 am

If you get the chance to hear Itamar Srudlov (Mr Honey) and Sarit Packer (Mrs) talk I found Itamar fascinating when they came to local festival They do a podcast that’s not bad, but it’s mainly guests talking to Sarit, not enough Honey

Suffolk, I find the Telegraph free subscription hit and miss but I lazily signed up with Facebook it usually seems to accept that finally. I mainly read recipes and articles by my neighbour Debora Robertson who has a regular column

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:56 pm

Seatallan wrote: corgette fingers pan fried with sliced mushrooms & garlic and then mixed through penne along with some tuna, lemon zest and lemon juice. Served with plenty of parmesan and black pepper.

We had this tonight, without the tuna, and it was delicious! I don't think we'd have come up with courgettes and mushrooms and lemon all three together without your suggestion, thx :thumbsup :thumbsup

Btw, I can't remember on which thread we were talking about slightly off cream ... I have 300ml single cream which is admittedly a few days past its date, but which hadn't been opened, and it is definitely not good on its own.
I was wondering if if might be useable in a dauphinoise type potato dish with lots of garlic when we have roast chicken tomorrow night?
What do people think???

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:18 pm

I’d go for it Keencook ... I think it’ll be fine. :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:49 pm

Thanks, Suffs, I'll report back!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox