Register

Courgettes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Courgettes

Postby scullion » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:39 am

i think that cake recipe can be found here, too, if anyone else is interested. looks good.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:58 am

btw I hope no one is growing Mr Fothergill's cougette 'zuccini'. They have been recalled. Some toxic hybrid seeds have been sold.

I am growing this variety but not that make.

https://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/Produc ... wpD7ihKiUl

I've got powdery mildew on all my plants, so I may not be getting a lot more.

Postby scullion » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:04 am

it shouldn't harm them too much, just take off a load of the lower leaves to get a bit of airflow going and gradually increase the watering. from what i remember the mildew comes with them being kept a bit too dry.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:47 am

Actually the worst afflicted ones were the healthiest plants and are on a tank/wick system. They also have really good (too good?) air flow. All the leaves are afflicted. I have some RHS spray which I shall try. I usually grow mildew resistant varieties, but couldn't get any when I wanted to sow seeds.

My sweet peas, which are sited about 100ft away have it too.

Postby Suffs » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:58 am

Are you sure it’s mildew? Some varieties have a natural slivering on the leaves which us often mistaken for mildew.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:41 pm

It seems to rub off and the leaves are dying.

Postby Suffs » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:39 pm

:(

Postby Seatallan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:42 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
Seatallan wrote: corgette fingers pan fried with sliced mushrooms & garlic and then mixed through penne along with some tuna, lemon zest and lemon juice. Served with plenty of parmesan and black pepper.

We had this tonight, without the tuna, and it was delicious! I don't think we'd have come up with courgettes and mushrooms and lemon all three together without your suggestion, thx :thumbsup :thumbsup

Btw, I can't remember on which thread we were talking about slightly off cream ... I have 300ml single cream which is admittedly a few days past its date, but which hadn't been opened, and it is definitely not good on its own.
I was wondering if if might be useable in a dauphinoise type potato dish with lots of garlic when we have roast chicken tomorrow night?
What do people think???

Glad you enjoyed it KeenCook2! :D

I think your slightly on the turn cream would be fine in a dauphinoise by the way. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby jeral » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:57 pm

herbidacious, there's a website here suggesting a baking soda (bicarb) solution to treat the mildew:
https://www.thespruce.com/powdery-mildew-1402500

A different site suggests wiping with mouthwash, it being antibacterial to kill mouth fungus.

My indoor plants on a multishelf display all got it one year, coincidentally when I set an ionic air conditioner going close by. It's supposed to give clean air like that after an electric thunderstorm. Maybe all the damp and storms last month was your culprit?

By the way, my new houseplants arrived yesterday, all in good nick :) Stokey Sue, no spider mites thankfully but sadly no armadillo either so I'll have to make a papier mache one.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:59 pm

It's been warm and wet. Excellent mildew weather. As I said, I normally grow mildew resistant varieties.

The plants in the top half of the garden aren't too bad. I suppose I could probably pick up a plant in a garden centre... It such a pity that the ones on the watering system have gone this way, as they were so very sturdy and healthy plants. I wonder how all those lockdown gardening newbies are faring with their gardening.

I may have a go at that filo tart tonight.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox