Register

Frozen fruit in cakes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Frozen fruit in cakes

Postby spangle » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi all

Can any experienced bakers advise on this - sometimes I see tempting recipes for cakes, muffins, brownies etc. that use fruit within the cake batter, e.g. raspberries, blueberries, cherries.

I often have bags of these fruits in the freezer and wonder whether I could use them, and if so, whether to thaw them first. I assume when a recipe states 'raspberries' it means fresh ones, and frozen ones tend to be soggier than fresh when thawed.

Has anyone tried using frozen instead of fresh and how did it turn out? Do you make any tweaks, e.g. use less liquid than the recipe states, drain the thawed fruit? (A Google search gave mixed opinions.)

Thanks.

Re: Frozen fruit in cakes

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:37 pm

At cookery classes we were encouraged to add frozen fruit as it didn't go quite so mushy during cooking (whatever you use needs to be separated but not thawed). I have done so many times since.

It was also suggested that if you wanted fruit to show invitingly at the top that you kept some back and pressed it into the cake attractively when it was halfway through cooking. It worked there but I'm usually a bit dubious about opening the oven door halfway through the cooking of a sponge-type cake!

Postby smitch » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:41 pm

I've used frozen raspberries in blondies and they worked well. However, the batter was thicker than cake mixture and the recipe specifically asked for frozen.

Postby spangle » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:39 pm

Thanks both, sounds worth giving it a go. I like the tip about poking some of the fruit into the top halfway through cooking.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox