Register

Weetabix

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Weetabix

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:55 pm

I'm in the :vomit camp

Dry, it's like chewing straw & with milk added it's just slush - I never eat it even when I was young.

Postby jeral » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:15 pm

All cereals are "good for you" having obligatory 7(?) vitamins with the odd eexceptions like gluten free or organic ones.

I prefer proper Weetabix eaten as a biscuit with a gulp of Rice Dream so to avoid sogginess. By choice of the bran type, Frosted (malted) Shreddies for me.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:18 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Actually you've got me thinking. Presumably it is "good for you"? Especially if you don't add sugar (or jam and butter). :lol:

Fibre, B vitamins, and a slightly surprising amount of protein it seems - all good :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:27 pm

I like it, but don't eat breakfast so not much cereal either. I can't bare shredded wheat and realted products though. I have some Oatibix on the table, unopened, bought just before lockdown. I need to eat more oats.

It has to be eaten quickly. I like the bottom to be a tiny bit soggy. With sugar. I had it every day growing up. I had forgotten but this brings it back to me that when I was a teenager, and seemed to need over an hour to get ready for school, and needed to be out to the house at 7.30, and lived in house that was so cold you could see yout breath in the bathroom in the winter, and which had no shower... so a bath was desirable... My father used to prepare it for me and put it on the side of the bath so i could eat it while having a bath to save time. What a sweety he was.

He'd have been up since 5am with his Crohn's disease symptoms.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:38 pm

Good memories Herbi………...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:18 pm

I used to buy an occasional box of the 5-grain Cheerios when they were on offer, which seem to be superficially a healthy option. Just saw them in Tesco at half price, but daren't get them any more, because I wolf them like snacks, straight out of the pack, and I suspect there's a fair amount of sugar in them too. My go-to cereals are an alternating mix of Fruit and Fibre (Aldi dead cheap) and the Red Berry imitation Special-K (99p Aldi). Both are cheaper and better than Lidl.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:55 am

I'm buying the dead cheap stuff too. I have those bran sticks, bran flakes and oats for breakfast, the cheap ones from Tescos. Mixed with freshly ground linseed.
I never thought I'd be able to give up toast, but have now for 3 years.

For a change, I've just bought some Morrison's own brand Weetabix for 79p. For a bit of variety, like you, Pepper, I really like it for breakfast.

I'm making your Hummingbird bars, Sakkers at the weekend, and will try Wbix in there too instead of cornflakes.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:20 am

:thumbsup

I bought two more packs of those "Craisins" yesterday still on offer in Tesco for £1 each, they really are very good!

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:49 am

I've used mine up, and am going to Tesco later today. I shall get another stash.

Postby Amyw » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:47 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Weetabix - the clear alternative to eating insulation blocks :mrgreen:

I am actually not a fan of any cold cereal with milk but I reserve my greatest loathing for Weetabix, Shredded Wheat, and cornflakes

I even think I might find the alternative way of eating with butter and jam marginally more palatable - which I believe was the original concept (hence bix, as in biccies). But then again, I could chew on an old sock.

There are two breakfast cereals in this house - Mornflake granola and Quaker microwaveable porridge sachets, I don’t eat any others

Same , granola or muesli and porridge are the only cereals I like . I’m wary with my granola choices as they can be real sugar bombs but there are some lovely ones out there . I find g tv e texture of any other cereal with milk really unpleasant.

After doing some palliative care in my time and feeding people warm very mushy weetabix , it really turns my stomach now

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:53 pm

The reason I like the Mornflake is that it’s nice and crunchy but not very sweet. It doesn’t contain a lot of fruit and nuts apart from raisins so I can add fresh fruit

And it is relatively cheap!

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:43 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:The reason I like the Mornflake is that it’s nice and crunchy but not very sweet. It doesn’t contain a lot of fruit and nuts apart from raisins so I can add fresh fruit

And it is relatively cheap!

Out of interest, Sue,where do you get the Mornflake Granola? I think it might not be ok for OH but I'm tempted to give it a try myself. I just looked on Tesco, Waitrose and Sainsbug online and the granola isn't there although there are various other Mornflake products. I noticed that Mornflake sell it direct, I think it was a 6 pack (?)

As for Weetabix, I don't mind it. One of my sons used to have it for breakfast and sometimes I'd have one too, but it's not anything I'd ever choose.
I've never heard of eating it other than as a cereal with milk! If we ever have it again I might give that a try!

I've often wondered what Oatibix is like.

We have the Tesco no added sugar Swiss style muesli with apple and banana. I have kefir, OH has yogurt.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:11 pm

I get the granola from Morrison’s

I tried Oatibix on the grounds I like oatcakes, but wasn’t keen

Postby Renee » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:00 pm

I much prefer the Oatiflakes rather than the Oatibix which takes up a lot of milk.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:01 pm

While we're on oatiness, one cereal I used to love was Quaker Oat Krunchies, but they came a cropper when there was an expose of the amount of sugar and salt in products aimed at kids(?), and QOK's came pretty much bottom of the list (16% sugar/2.6% salt disguised by putting the sodium content of 1g on the pack). They withdrew the product, then rebranded it some time later when the furore had died down, as Quaker Oat Crisp, with revised ingredients (still 12% sugar though, but salt reduced to 0.8%). I've still got an old Oat Krunchies pack that I got those figures off, because it had a "free" cutout model on the pack that I liked the design of.

Postby aero280 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:04 pm

I tried Oatibix, but they went soggy far too quickly for my taste.

If you are worried about sugar labelling, you should try TicTacs. I don't know if it's changed, but they were ridiculed on QI for being labelled "low sugar". They are almost 90% sugar!! But they complied with the law which said that you could claim "low sugar" if there was less than 1g of sugar in a "portion". The makers claimed that each individual TicTac was a "portion"... :o

[edit] Just checked, and in the USA they were shown as "Sugar 0g" which was allowed because there was less than 0.5g in a portion. Each Tictac is exactly 0.49g...

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:09 pm

I seriously dislike all forms of 'breakfast cereals' & cannot see the point of any of them.
If fibre is what you're after, there are so many other alternatives.

If vitamins /etc are what you're after there are so many alternatives......

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:17 pm

Suelle wrote:I rarely eat it but quite like it when it's starting to disintegrate. It does need sugar IMO.

It certainly DOES need sugar! Just a small teaspoonful tho.
Just about the ONLY time I use sugar nowadays.

:D
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox