Register

Weetabix

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Weetabix

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:40 pm

Love or hate?

Is on special at Morries so I bought about forty thousand. They all say they hate it here but no cereal moves as fast these days. I am a lover but have to eat it immediately it has been doused in the coldest of cold milk. No sugar.

Re: Weetabix

Postby smitch » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:11 pm

I really don’t like it but I hate soggy cereal. First time I had it for about 20 years was back in September when I was in hospital with a nasty bout of gastroenteritis. My throat was that sore I could barely speak let alone swallow so the breakfast lady suggested Weetabix.

Can’t say I’ll rush to eat it again :lol: I certainly hope if I do it won’t be under those circumstances!

Postby Suelle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:15 pm

I rarely eat it but quite like it when it's starting to disintegrate. It does need sugar IMO.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 pm

I like Weetabix. Cold milk only and eaten when it is neither crisp nor too soggy. Sliced banana is nice with it.

They also suggest you spread with butter and jam and eat like a biscuit - no thanks, far too dry.

When we first opened our wholefood cafe in the 70s, someone found a recipe for savoury Weetabix balls to serve with salad. I wish to goodness I could remember what was in them, I think just crushed Weetabix mixed with things like grated carrot and nothing very moist, they were uncooked, didn't hold together well and were ghastly to eat. All the modern recipes I can find for similar things are a great improvement, even though I wouldn't choose to eat them.

Here are some 'lovely' recipes from the Australian equivalent ;) . https://www.weetbix.com.au/recipes/

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:57 pm

Weetabix - the clear alternative to eating insulation blocks :mrgreen:

I am actually not a fan of any cold cereal with milk but I reserve my greatest loathing for Weetabix, Shredded Wheat, and cornflakes

I even think I might find the alternative way of eating with butter and jam marginally more palatable - which I believe was the original concept (hence bix, as in biccies). But then again, I could chew on an old sock.

There are two breakfast cereals in this house - Mornflake granola and Quaker microwaveable porridge sachets, I don’t eat any others

Postby Suelle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:58 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
Here are some 'lovely' recipes from the Australian equivalent ;) . https://www.weetbix.com.au/recipes/

Some of those recipes would be quite nice if you left out the Weetabix! :lol:
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:07 am

When I was a teenager, I used to love Weetabix with plenty of butter and sliced cheese on top.

Postby aero280 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:37 am

Cheapest Weetabix round here for years has been the double family pack in Costco. About half the price of Tesco.

I have it almost every morning when we are at home. No sugar just a few seeds and nuts. Cold milk and eaten while still crispy! :)

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:47 am

Weetabix.
Haven´t had it for breakfast for over 45 years, thank God.

Postby Hickybank » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:26 am

"YUK, YUK,YU :vomit K"

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:35 am

Most breakfast cereals seem like joyless fodder to me, or are horribly sweet. We eat a lot of porridge, don't dislike measly or some of those oaty cluster things but they're adjuncts to fresh fruit, bananas or home grown berries. If the kids have stayed and as usual we've forgotten to give them the leftover boxes of cereal, they (the cereals) sit in the cupboard for ages. I've found that live mealworms like Coco Pops.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:58 am

We always have a box of Coco Pops on the go. They are, apparently, vegan.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:02 am

I'm afraid I can't have breakfast cereal in the house. I like it so much that it gets eaten for every meal and snack until it's gone ... except for Coco Pops which I think are vile. They are marginally better eaten as a snack from a bowl without milk or a spoon.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:11 am

Earthmaiden wrote:They also suggest you spread with butter and jam and eat like a biscuit - no thanks, far too dry.

Whilst I don't dislike it with (cold) milk and some sugar, I much prefer it as above :oops: :thumbsup

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:24 am

Drowned in hot milk and sugar for me.**

UK: Weetabix, Australia: Weetbix. Ha! I'm toying with the idea of bringing out a Marmite substitute, I think I'll call it Vegmite. Do you think the Dragon's Den team will go for it?

I'm also thinking of bringing out an Australian jerk sauce called Reggae Sauce.

**EDIT: I should have added "under duress..."

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:41 am

I dread to think what Barry McKenzie would make of that...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:50 am

I remember him well, first appearance of Dame Edna before she became a worldwide superstar.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:54 am

Weetabix with milk = baby food - :vomit

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:57 am

Actually you've got me thinking. Presumably it is "good for you"? Especially if you don't add sugar (or jam and butter). :lol:

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:47 pm

i think the only boxed cereals i've bought since the kids were tiny, and liked shreddies, have been all bran and frugrains.
not for all bran's action, more for the taste.
the mapleton's frugrains for the lovely crunchy lumps - with milk it went a little slimy unless eaten straight away but was gorgeous - and, sadly, no more

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox