Register

Whole Eggs in Oven?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Whole Eggs in Oven?

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:54 am

This board is so educational! I had never heard of an 'American egg'.

Yes, I've had the breakfast buffet eggs. I just thought they were served like that because of the logistics of serving hot soft boiled eggs at a buffet and washing up umpteen egg cups. The ones we had at boarding school were like that too but still eaten from an egg cup in the way one would eat a soft boiled egg.

Are soft boiled eggs with lovely buttery toast or bread really peculiar to Britain?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:09 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Are soft boiled eggs with lovely buttery toast or bread really peculiar to Britain?

More or less I think, I have had conversations with German and Dutch colleagues and relatives and they seem to regard the hard boiled egg as standard and French OH wasn’t brought up on them - though to be fair his mother’s idea of a child’s meal was bread, butter and ham at any time of day

Postby aero280 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:58 am

Regarding the cooker.

If it wasn’t for the fact that you get random starts during the day, I would wonder if it’s been connected to a white meter circuit by mistake.

Do you have a separate meter for cheap electric at night?

Postby miss mouse » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:42 pm

Earthmaiden wrote: I had never heard of an 'American egg'.

I had not heard that term either and would assume it is connected with the rampant salmonella there.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:41 pm

I don’t think it’s anything to do with infection the term as used by mother dates back certainly to before WW2, possibly coming from uncle Alec who was a hangover from WW1 (he was one of Patton’s aides in the US army)

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:15 pm

OK - I´ve just done a quick google investigation.
You can "hard boil" eggs in the oven in the following manner.
Preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C/Gas mark 4
Put one egg in a teacake cup (muffin cup) and then into a muffin tin.
Bake for 20-30 minutes: 20 minutes soft boiled, 30 minutes, hard boiled.
Remove and plunge into cold water to peel.

I have to say I´ve never tried it, but this seems to be the consensus!

Postby jeral » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:23 pm

The sites I looked at say 160C, quite a bit lower than 177C, but don't use a "muffin cup" which might insulate/protect the egg somehow I suppose.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:13 pm

The sites I looked at say 160C, quite a bit lower than 177C, but don't use a "muffin cup" which might insulate/protect the egg somehow I suppose.

There was a mention in one of the instructions I read which said something like " If your eggs are overcooked, lower the temperature to 325°F. Which concurs with your sites, Jeral.

Postby Loulou » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:20 am

aero280 wrote:Regarding the cooker.

If it wasn’t for the fact that you get random starts during the day, I would wonder if it’s been connected to a white meter circuit by mistake.

That is a good suggestion, and yes we do have cheap (er) electricity during the night and a couple of hours during the day. But this part of the house which is newer is not connected to that! Today, I spent the good part of an hour sitting at the hob on a kitchen stool - and eventually it came on! OH and I take it in turns to do this. Makes no sense.

Postby Loulou » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:23 am

karadekoolaid wrote:OK - I´ve just done a quick google investigation.
You can "hard boil" eggs in the oven in the following manner.
Preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C/Gas mark 4
Put one egg in a teacake cup (muffin cup) and then into a muffin tin.
Bake for 20-30 minutes: 20 minutes soft boiled, 30 minutes, hard boiled.
Remove and plunge into cold water to peel.

I have to say I´ve never tried it, but this seems to be the consensus!

Yes, that was probably the site I saw following the revelation on Food Network.
Managed to boil two eggs today anyway, as I have a lot to use up!

Postby aero280 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:43 am

Loulou wrote:
aero280 wrote:

That is a good suggestion, and yes we do have cheap (er) electricity during the night and a couple of hours during the day. But this part of the house which is newer is not connected to that!

I think it would be worth double checking that! Especially if you have a boost during the day. it could explain it all. When the cooker is working, find the meter and board suppling the cheaper electricity and turn it off and on and see if the cooker follows suit. The cooker should have its own big cable all the way from the consumer unit with the circuit breakers in it. It won’t be connected to “part of the house”. It will be completely separate. It wouldn't take much to mis-wire it.

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:31 pm

Baked egg experiment now done. The result of cooking two equal size/shape large eggs:

#1. Cooked as I wanted with yolk semi solid, although slightly browned at one end after shelling which tasted OK but unsightly if serving as is.

#2. Yolk was fine. A smallish part of the egg white was annoyingly still very sloppy so I gave it 20 secs in the microwave still sitting in part shell (pricked into yolk and loosely covered).

Each egg was in its own porcelain ramekin, same shelf, in the halogen oven with nothing else. As they run hotter, I used 140C (instead of 150C fan temp) for 27 mins, and with a thin pizza tray with holes in over them because halogens are top down heat. Also, I brought eggs up to room temp to avoid heat shock.

FWIW, even if by chance I were to be using the normal oven at the required temperature for other things, I'd still use a more typical method for baking shelled eggs instead to remove the hit or miss risk of in-shell eggs.

Love to hear if anyone else has already tried.

Postby Loulou » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:51 pm

Interesting that you tried this Jeral, so it does work!

Postby Loulou » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:00 pm

Aero, my OH installed all the electrics in the house as he converted it from a disused farm building. The kitchen is in a part of the house which was converted several years after the other part and def not connected to the ‘Off peak’ system. Hob came on at 11.15 on the 2nd attempt! Yesterday it took 40 or 50! V strange!

Postby aero280 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:43 pm

Very odd! :o

I think I would start checking by disconnecting the cooker and seeing if the voltage on the wire supplying the cooker is constant. if so, then there's a cooker fault. If the voltage in the supply wire goes on and off, there's a wiring fault.

Postby miss mouse » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:38 pm

Loulou, are you certain that it isn't some fancy timer function? They can work on hot plates as well as I eventually discovered years ago with a much less sophisticated cooking device thanks to a visitor. I don't know whether switching it off at the mains would work with a modern electronic timer.

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:55 pm

Loulou wrote:Interesting that you tried this Jeral, so it does work!

Yup it does work.

I'm glad I tried as I spotted that I had far more eggs in the fridge than I thought. I'll begin to look like an egg by the end of this week.

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:10 pm

Loulou, I came across this "Ask an AEG engineer a question" in real time. Have you tried asking them?
https://www.justanswer.co.uk/sip/aeg?r= ... gJtnPD_BwE

Postby halfateabag » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:54 pm

For what it's worth..... If my oven is going on and there is space on a shelf, I sometimes put a couple of eggs in a pyrex bowl, put hot water over them and stick them in the oven for hard boiled eggs..... Works for me ! :thumbsup.

Sorry, but I would have to get the problem sorted, could not live with that situation, hope you get it fixed..

Postby Loulou » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:25 pm

halfateabag wrote:For what it's worth..... If my oven is going on and there is space on a shelf, I sometimes put a couple of eggs in a pyrex bowl, put hot water over them and stick them in the oven for hard boiled eggs..... Works for me ! :thumbsup.

Sorry, but I would have to get the problem sorted, could not live with that situation, hope you get it fixed..

Thank you. The problem is it is an unusual shape and not available any more. It’s in a very thick oak worktop, but we will find a way round it! Good luck on your travels!

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox